Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It seems Quintana was just on a 3 year hot streak with the Sox and he got figured out in the NL. 

Glad Hahn was able to sell high. 

I honestly never got the fascination with Quintana. Decent but never thought he was special. 

Just now, RagahRagah said:

I honestly never got the fascination with Quintana. Decent but never thought he was special. 

He was worth more than 20 bWAR. There aren't a lot of starters like that around. Absolutely the best pitcher we've had since Buehrle, non-Sale divison. It's not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 3GamesToLove said:

He was worth more than 20 bWAR. There aren't a lot of starters like that around. Absolutely the best pitcher we've had since Buehrle, non-Sale divison. It's not even close.

Perhaps, but I don't necessarily feel like that was a long list. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps I need to view his advanced metrics but before I knew anything about that stuff it appeared to me like his results were consistently that of a backend starter at best.

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Perhaps, but I don't necessarily feel like that was a long list. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps I need to view his advanced metrics but before I knew anything about that stuff it appeared to me like his results were consistently that of a backend starter at best.

You don't even need advanced metrics. His season ERA in said five seasons were 3.76 , 3.51, 3.32, 3.36, and 3.20!

If that's a backend starter ("at best!?"), then you must be talking about an all-time great rotation. Those numbers are a solid #2 or even a #1 on some teams.

Edited by 3GamesToLove
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 3

38 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You either have a terrible memory, or have no idea what results to expect from a back end- middle- or front end starter.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I love Jose when he was with us, but I think they traded him at peak value (#2 pitcher) and were compensated accordingly in what they received back. He's obviously more of a 4th/5th start now. 

Agreed. He totally was a #2 from 2014-16, but he started to drop off in 2017 and Hahn was able to move him just in time, and did a nice sales job about the decline. IIRC Quintana had a 4.42 ERA when he was traded but was having a career year in strikeouts. 

57 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You either have a terrible memory, or have no idea what results to expect from a back end- middle- or front end starter.  

Perhaps the former is true. My recollection was not great results. Perhaps a lack of run support.

Edited by RagahRagah

Quintana was amazing for most of 2012 and helped carry their unexpected charge at the Tigers.

He was one of the best #2/3 starters in baseball until 2017, when things started to go south.

Arguably, on some bottom 10 teams, he would have been the ace or best pitcher.   But a solid #2, definitely.

His weak points were not always going long in games (past the 5th or 6th, especially near the end of his Sox career), and not being able to put away hitters because he lacked one true "plus" strikeout pitch that he could always call forth in pressure situations.

Always overlooked because he was never a dominant stuff pitcher, but got by on guile, location and was in many ways similar to Mark Buehrle (or a Glavine with less control), except for sometimes slowing down the game a bit more with runners on base.