Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

Is everyone big mad?

Believe it or not, I'm not. I did say I found it depressing, but if we actually do go after Hamels or someone similar, that does give us some of the depth we need. However, we will need some more improvement or consistency from some of these wild cards.

• Like 1

This is one of those deals that I would like more for another team than for the Sox as Rodon could stand to benefit from a change of scenery.

The plus side of this is that Rodon doesnt agree with that and seems to either think hell crack the big league rotation or he's changed his stance about coming from the pen. Maybe a new manager and pitching coach is enough of a change to spark something new with Rodon. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

This is one of those deals that I would like more for another team than for the Sox as Rodon could stand to benefit from a change of scenery.

The plus side of this is that Rodon doesnt agree with that and seems to either think hell crack the big league rotation or he's changed his stance about coming from the pen. Maybe a new manager and pitching coach is enough of a change to spark something new with Rodon. 

He hates TLR. Didn’t want to sign here but had to. /green

7 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

2019; 141.2 innings, 3.81 era

I think he was talking about Rodon. Hamels was good in 2019. The problem is he had a shoulder issue in 2020, that still isn’t fully healed. And now he is 37. If everything went right, he could provide what the team needs, but he is going to cost more than Rodon.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think he was talking about Rodon. Hamels was good in 2019. The problem is he had a shoulder issue in 2020, that still isn’t fully healed. And now he is 37. If everything went right, he could provide what the team needs, but he is going to cost more than Rodon.

Gio G. rerun I think.

• Fire 1

Say NO to Hamels.  He's unlikely to be any better than Lopez/Rodon or Cease and would just be in the way when Kopech is ready.

Say NO to a "veteran catcher" who won't hit nearly as well as Collins will if they just give Collins some relatively consistent backup catcher and lefty DH ABs.

Say NO to any DH other than Nelson Cruz. Collins and other current options can hold down the fort for a month while they get an extra year of control of Vaughn.  Vaughn should have been the man last year.  

Say yes to someone like Folty if you can get him on a minor league deal. That option has upside, and provides true depth because you can move him up and down from AAA as needed. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

Eh, new coaches... it's a pretty fresh start. 

2 hours ago, VAfan said:

Say NO to Hamels.  He's unlikely to be any better than Lopez/Rodon or Cease and would just be in the way when Kopech is ready.

Say NO to a "veteran catcher" who won't hit nearly as well as Collins will if they just give Collins some relatively consistent backup catcher and lefty DH ABs.

Say NO to any DH other than Nelson Cruz. Collins and other current options can hold down the fort for a month while they get an extra year of control of Vaughn.  Vaughn should have been the man last year.  

Say yes to someone like Folty if you can get him on a minor league deal. That option has upside, and provides true depth because you can move him up and down from AAA as needed. 

This post gave me hardcore dejavu... why, no idea. 

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Me too and Astrubal Cabrera as SH DH/utility IF over Miller.

I like Cabrera as backup corner IF but this roster needs someone who can play SS, unless you bank on Leury to fill in here and there. If Anderson gets injured though, that could be an issue.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I like Cabrera as backup corner IF but this roster needs someone who can play SS, unless you bank on Leury. 

Cabrera has in the past, 2018 I think.  Don't know why he still couldn't from time to time.  Mendick too right?  That SH is so nice to have.  And nice power as LH.  

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Cabrera has in the past, 2018 I think.  Don't know why he still couldn't from time to time.  Mendick too right?  That SH is so nice to have.  And nice power as LH.  

Brad Miller's only played SS 3 times (only 1 start) since 2018 so I'll take Cabrera who can play all 4 IF pos incl SS 31 times (25 starts) in 2018.  Miller plays OF, too, but so what, we don't need depth there.

22 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I like Cabrera as backup corner IF but this roster needs someone who can play SS, unless you bank on Leury to fill in here and there. If Anderson gets injured though, that could be an issue.

If TA gets hurt for extended time, Sox have problem no matter who subs.  When healthy he's a horse, not a lot of subbing anyway.  

Sox also have Tim Beckham for SS but incredibly brutal defensively. 

Edited by Rounding_Third

15 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Genuine question...why?

He is the exact type of move I like at $3M a year. If he is healthy - I genuinely believe he can be a really effective reliever or solid 5th starter.  I recognize his falters out of the pen last year and some of the struggles in a COVID world - but his velocity was solid and the slider is still plus.  I think chances that he outperforms $3M are actually pretty decent.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

If TA gets hurt for extended time, Sox have problem no matter who subs.  When healthy he's a horse, not a lot of subbing anyway.  

Sox also have Tim Beckham for SS but incredibly brutal defensively. 

I would assume Mendick might return to help fill in this role of necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is the exact type of move I like at $3M a year. If he is healthy - I genuinely believe he can be a really effective reliever or solid 5th starter.  I recognize his falters out of the pen last year and some of the struggles in a COVID world - but his velocity was solid and the slider is still plus.  I think chances that he outperforms $3M are actually pretty decent.  

I hope you're right

• bmags unpinned this topic