Jump to content
bmags

Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think he wins the 4th spot.  

He can work as hard as he wants (and I agree with your point about his conditioning, which he's never cared about) but if his arm is paper mache it won't matter.  Hopefully he's working smart, not just hard.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

A few in the last decade.. that shows it's not normal. If it was normal, you would be saying 4 of the last 6 WS teams had deep rotations. 

The way you worded it made it sound like it virtually never happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rodon hired one of the best personal trainers in the business to work with him this off season.  He's taking baseball serious for the first time in his career.  I usually have no time for nonworkers which is exactly what Rodon has been up till now.  His talent can't be denied and now he's actually putting in the work.  I think he's in a perfect situation to have a good season.   

Thanks for the info. Do you think Rodon has a better year than Quintana in 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I agree with your point. I am still an advocate of adding Bauer on a 3 year deal at whatever the cost it takes. We certainly have budget available in these next 3 years with all of our young guys tied up in team friendly deals. And adding Bauer to an already good pitching rotation puts us at the top of the contending list for World Series. It is without question that the Sox SHOULD be signing Bauer. Now, the Sox are going to go the cheap rout because of what I've said above. What we should be doing is pushing our chips all in. I would be opposed to a 7 year deal for Bauer at over $30/M AAV, but a 3 year high AAV wouldn't hurt this franchise one bit. Especially because we are as close to a lock for playoffs over that 3 year stretch and playoff revenue will certainly be more than the salary to bring Bauer in. 

But that all makes too much sense for this ownership group. They are too frugal, but it's their business and their money. I can't make Wal-Mart pay their workers more because it's their choice. 

I've never understood the reasoning behind signing Bauer. He had an excellent 2018 season, and a similar one in a shortened 2020. But every other year his ERA has been above 4.  He's now 30 years old.  Should we expect him to go on a monster tear for the next several years?  Who knows. 

Plus, if you sign Bauer for multiple years, there goes any extension for Lynn, and the Sox may be hard pressed to extend Giolito. 

If he was free, I'd take him. Or if the Sox had unlimited funds, I'd take him. But I think he comes with a lot of opportunity costs that make him not the wisest investment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VAfan said:

I've never understood the reasoning behind signing Bauer. He had an excellent 2018 season, and a similar one in a shortened 2020. But every other year his ERA has been above 4.  He's now 30 years old.  Should we expect him to go on a monster tear for the next several years?  Who knows. 

Plus, if you sign Bauer for multiple years, there goes any extension for Lynn, and the Sox may be hard pressed to extend Giolito. 

If he was free, I'd take him. Or if the Sox had unlimited funds, I'd take him. But I think he comes with a lot of opportunity costs that make him not the wisest investment. 

So to be clear, Bauer being 30 is a concern for you, but you’re also concerned that if the Sox signed Bauer, they would be unable to re-sign a then 35 year old Lance Lynn?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

So with the addition of Rodon we’re looking at the following staff:

  1. Gioltio
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel*
  4. Cease
  5. Rodon* / Lopez
  • 9th: Hendriks
  • 8th: Bummer*
  • 8th: Heuer
  • 7th: Crochet*
  • 7th: Marshall
  • 6th: Fry*
  • 6th: Foster
  • 5th: Lopez / Rodon*

Then at Charlotte you should have Kopech, Stiever, Flores, & Vargas in the rotation, with McClure likely in AA.  The Knights’ bullpen would have Cordero, Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert.  

Our bullpen depth looks real solid to me, just need to hope Katz can work his magic with the young starters.

Is it confirmed that team are going back to 25 man rosters this year?

Does Cordero have an option. I like Jimmy and hope he sticks around. I think he’s be much better without dipshit McGee using him 90 times. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is it confirmed that team are going back to 25 man rosters this year?

Does Cordero have an option. I like Jimmy and hope he sticks around. I think he’s be much better without dipshit McGee using him 90 times. 

26 man rosters were a permanent change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, 26 man active rosters and Jimmy does have one more option.  I find it curious that everywhere shows Crochet as a reliever yet the Sox have said starter from the end of last season.  I have Flores as a long man in my opening day roster as well as the Rodon/Lopez non-starter.  Anyone have any inside on Crochet's landing spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Sox are no longer Boras-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

26 man rosters were a permanent change.

This. This change happened before the COVID rule changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, oldsox said:

White Sox are no longer Boras-free.

They never were, Keuchel is a boras client 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony said:

So to be clear, Bauer being 30 is a concern for you, but you’re also concerned that if the Sox signed Bauer, they would be unable to re-sign a then 35 year old Lance Lynn?

Bauer at 30 getting a six figure contract v Lynn getting a 2 year extension are vastly different. 

I'm very interested to see where Bauer lands and for how much before we can debate that point.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VAfan said:

I've never understood the reasoning behind signing Bauer. He had an excellent 2018 season, and a similar one in a shortened 2020. But every other year his ERA has been above 4.  He's now 30 years old.  Should we expect him to go on a monster tear for the next several years?  Who knows. 

Plus, if you sign Bauer for multiple years, there goes any extension for Lynn, and the Sox may be hard pressed to extend Giolito. 

If he was free, I'd take him. Or if the Sox had unlimited funds, I'd take him. But I think he comes with a lot of opportunity costs that make him not the wisest investment. 

I was in the "Sox must extend Lynn" camp initially, but since have opened up to the idea there might be more risk than value in an extension for a player that turns 34 years old in May. I think you squeeze what you can out of him this season and then evaluate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I was in the "Sox must extend Lynn" camp initially, but since have opened up to the idea there might be more risk than value in an extension for a player that turns 34 years old in May. I think you squeeze what you can out of him this season and then evaluate. 

This is where I have been

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I was in the "Sox must extend Lynn" camp initially, but since have opened up to the idea there might be more risk than value in an extension for a player that turns 34 years old in May. I think you squeeze what you can out of him this season and then evaluate. 

A year extension would be fine, or even a year and an option, but I am more than OK with going year to year with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I was in the "Sox must extend Lynn" camp initially, but since have opened up to the idea there might be more risk than value in an extension for a player that turns 34 years old in May. I think you squeeze what you can out of him this season and then evaluate. 

If their payroll limit is under $130 million this year, they already have $125ish committed next year counting Giolito as an arbitration case. A Lynn extension is extra risky in that context. “Sure we extended Lynn, but now we have to trade Kelley and Keuchel to clear that salary.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tony said:

So to be clear, Bauer being 30 is a concern for you, but you’re also concerned that if the Sox signed Bauer, they would be unable to re-sign a then 35 year old Lance Lynn?

Massive price difference for not a massive performance difference. There could be, if Bauer could continue stringing 2018 or 2020 campaigns out into the indefinite future. I just think there's a lot of risk with Bauer at $30+M per year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If their payroll limit is under $130 million this year, they already have $125ish committed next year counting Giolito as an arbitration case. A Lynn extension is extra risky in that context. “Sure we extended Lynn, but now we have to trade Kelley and Keuchel to clear that salary.”

I just posted the Sox 3-5 year window, showing who's under contract and for how long.  I think the Sox will be open to seeing the payroll naturally rise as their core goes into arbitration or is extended. But that's also a reason why they aren't going "all in" in 2020, especially when it is uncertain how many fans they will have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I was indifferent to this move until Colome signed with Minnesota. Now I hate this move. Should have used this money to resign Colome and let Rodon walk. Now Colome goes to Minnesota to help them, and we use the money we could have used to sign Colome to now resign Rodon. Not a good tradeoff. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

 I was indifferent to this move until Colome signed with Minnesota. Now I hate this move. Should have used this money to resign Colome and let Rodon walk. Now Colome goes to Minnesota to help them, and we use the money we could have used to sign Colome to now resign Rodon. Not a good tradeoff. 

Colome isn't a starter. Apples to oranges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

 I was indifferent to this move until Colome signed with Minnesota. Now I hate this move. Should have used this money to resign Colome and let Rodon walk. Now Colome goes to Minnesota to help them, and we use the money we could have used to sign Colome to now resign Rodon. Not a good tradeoff. 

Is Colome not closing for MN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Colome isn't a starter. Apples to oranges.

Rodon is going to start for us next year????? He better not be!! If he is, I'm thinking twice about how good our rotation is! Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease and the 5th spot really should have to go to Kopech, shouldn't it? Rodon is a piece of worthless garbage. 

Edited by Soxsi75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Capital G said:

Is Colome not closing for MN?

I think he is. You thinking he won't be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

Rodon is going to start for us next year????? He better not be!! If he is, I'm thinking twice about how good our rotation is! Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease and the 5th spot really should have to go to Kopech, shouldn't it? Rodon is a piece of worthless garbage. 

Who else is gonna slot in at 5? It's gotta be either him or Lopez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

I think he is. You thinking he won't be?

I do.

You mentioned you now hate the Rodon move bc we could've signed Colome and let Rodon walk. 

We signed LH to close. I don't think Colome signs with us to be what? Probably the 7th inning guy (LH and Bummer will end games).

Plus, not that I'm pretending to know Colome, but after good years with the Sox we turn around and sign another closer then offer him a lesser role for way less? I'd sign with a rival just to try and show them up lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×