MLB considering 154 game and delayed schedule

flavum

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Well here we go again, Who is ready for only a 75 game season....

I think they’ll be able to have a longer season. It’s about the Arizona issue and the vaccine rollout. Definitely ok with a May 1st start if they can end the season with 140+ games and fans in the stands.

The union would be dumb to accept this. 

The most important sword the union can wield in the CBA talks is the expanded postseason but the owners know if you have expanded postseason two years in a row and fans like it, it puts alot of pressure for the union to agree to it in the future, and at that point it becomes impossible to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The union would be dumb to accept this. 

The most important sword the union can wield in the CBA talks is the expanded postseason but the owners know if you have expanded postseason two years in a row and fans like it, it puts alot of pressure for the union to agree to it in the future, and at that point it becomes impossible to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

If the fans like it, then they should implement it. I don't understand the reasoning behind players not wanting expanded postseason...just so the owners don't have more money in their pockets? Don't players get compensated more for playing in the postseason anyway?

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If the fans like it, then they should implement it. I don't understand the reasoning behind players not wanting expanded postseason...just so the owners don't have more money in their pockets? Don't players get compensated more for playing in the postseason anyway?

Its alot more lucrative to the owners than the players. And fan pressure is exactly what the owners are counting on in order to turn something they really want from a novelty into an expectation. 

The union should reject this at once.

An expanded postseason also is bad for us. 

• Like 3

With an expanded postseason, owners no longer have the incentive to build 95 win teams. In that case 85 win teams are suddenly acceptable. 

big hell no to expanded postseason. Union should reject it. 

It could result in teams with 78-82 wins making the postseason with regularity. This is a salary suppressing stunt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Personally, I think the Players Union would be idiots to not agree to this. Same pay for less games and they get the DH for all 30 teams. There’s no way MLB gets through 162 games. Just look at the NHL and NBA. 

I think the players union would be idiots to agree to anything that includes an expanded postseason. 10 teams is plenty. Less is more when it comes to the playoffs. Cut to the chase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I read this correctly, the owners are offering full pay even if they can't open the stadiums fully for a lot of the season, adding the DH to the NL, and only asking for another round of playoffs for this season as the trade off.  The players would need to be nuts to pass on this.

As far as setting precedent for the CBA, I doubt it matters if the extra round of playoffs is popular or not.  I'd be willing to bet that what the fans do or don't want has never come up during a CBA negotiation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the players union would be idiots to agree to anything that includes an expanded postseason. 10 teams is plenty. Less is more when it comes to the playoffs. Cut to the chase. 

Expanded playoffs is going to happen. It will be a part of this game in the future on a regular basis either due to situations like this, or expansion down the road. To refuse any proposal that includes it is incredibly short-sighted. I'm not crazy about it, but I think it could work with some more creativity. Compare this proposal to the ones we saw last season, and tell me how this one isn't the most beneficial to both sides. This is setting the players up to come off as incredibly greedy if their main goal is prevent the owners from getting more money. This offseason is a direct result of no fans last year, and it hurt the game. People need to start thinking about how this pandemic is affecting the future of baseball. Baseball is a business, if there wasn't money to be made in it, no one would have interest to see it continue.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With an expanded postseason, owners no longer have the incentive to build 95 win teams. In that case 85 win teams are suddenly acceptable. 

big hell no to expanded postseason. Union should reject it. 

It could result in teams with 78-82 wins making the postseason with regularity. This is a salary suppressing stunt. 

Good point about spending incentives. Yet another reason for the union to reject this 

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Expanded playoffs is going to happen. It will be a part of this game in the future on a regular basis either due to situations like this, or expansion down the road. To refuse any proposal that includes it is incredibly short-sighted. I'm not crazy about it, but I think it could work with some more creativity. Compare this proposal to the ones we saw last season, and tell me how this one isn't the most beneficial to both sides. This is setting the players up to come off as incredibly greedy if their main goal is prevent the owners from getting more money. This offseason is a direct result of no fans last year, and it hurt the game. People need to start thinking about how this pandemic is affecting the future of baseball. Baseball is a business, if there wasn't money to be made in it, no one would have interest to see it continue.

We don't watch the owners. We watch the players. Without the players, the owners have nothing. 

The players should get more. Simple as that. Owners were making money hand over fist before the pandemic. Players are the product.  

The problem is that both sides should be thinking win-win rather than win-lose. 

The mentality that everything is a zero sum game instead of making the pie bigger is the issue. It's a US culture issue, and it's toxic and destroying society. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

154 today, then its 144 next week, then 96 , then 60 with 0 fans in the stands again.

And then we all blow up.

14 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Well, there's that whole pandemic thing going on. Kind of tough to predict 4 or 5 months ahead. 

Eh, I guess you're right. But in November we all knew when the vaccines were coming. Not much has changed with the plan since then. They could have started hashing it out then, not a few weeks before spring training. But I guess I shouldn't expect efficiency.

• Haha 1