1. 1. Wrc+

• Minors all year
    • Sub 100 wrc+
    • 100-110
    • 110-120
    • 120-130
    • 130+

Just now, tray said:

After reading the thread, I am doubling down on my opinion that Vaughn can break camp with the major league club *IF* he rakes in Sprong Training, i.e., over .300 BA and  jacks 3 or more HRs.

Agreed. They won’t do it, but considering the window of winning and the unknown CBA, service time be damned. Play the kid.

55 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Would they give up a year of service time for two weeks though? I calculated in another thread that two weeks of a sub replacement DH vs a solid one costs about .2 wins for two weeks. Is .2 wins worth a year?

You just never know. Let’s face it...the Twins and Sox are probably both low to mid-90s win teams. Is it possible one or two games in early April could be the difference? You’ll never be able to definitively prove it, but the answer is yes.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

You just never know. Let’s face it...the Twins and Sox are probably both low to mid-90s win teams. Is it possible one or two games in early April could be the difference? You’ll never be able to definitively prove it, but the answer is yes.

Yeah obviously. Even a Player statistically worth .1 win could be worth two wins in two if he gets two timely RBI hits. 

However that also is true the other day, Mike trout can hit .100 for two weeks and yolmer sanchez can hit .400 during that span. That value is just an average

The infusion of not one, not two, but three elite, blue chip talents into the team this year with Vaughn, Kopech, and Crochet set to join the team is nothing short of truly exciting.  The Sox really do have an extraordinary amount of terrific, young talent.  The next several years is going to be some kind of ride!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Would they give up a year of service time for two weeks though? I calculated in another thread that two weeks of a sub replacement DH vs a solid one costs about .2 wins for two weeks. Is .2 wins worth a year?

They haven’t done it with any of the other young guys, so I doubt they bring him up before the magic date. 

I do not think an extra year of control is worth the game.  The Sox can always offer to extend Vaughn if he appears worthy and, in turn,  Vaughn can wait to seek an extension,,perhaps after a year where his performance makes it clear that he deserves big money.

That is sort of why I would like to extend Giolito instead of waiting much longer.  If he gets any better his asking price could be astronomical.

according to this nbc sports article, Vaughn is making the team as primary DH out of spring training barring some unforeseen scenario

this is news right?

"Based on what we've seen with Andrew Vaughn since he's been part of the organization — and I anticipate he's going to carry that same approach that has made him successful not only as an amateur but throughout his time here — I would imagine with the amount of success that he's had and he probably will in spring training, that he'll be in position to be that DH or be on the major league club," White Sox assistant general manager Chris Getz said Wednesday. "He's ready to help this team.

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

The infusion of not one, not two, but three elite, blue chip talents into the team this year with Vaughn, Kopech, and Crochet set to join the team is nothing short of truly exciting.  The Sox really do have an extraordinary amount of terrific, young talent.  The next several years is going to be some kind of ride!

Also Madrigal  and a better Robert whose upside is better than anyone on the team. Hopefully Moncada can get back to where he was and we still haven't seen the best of Eloy either. Anderson could get better too even though some expect some regression. But judging by the last 2 years and the Oakland playoff series where he got 9 hits in 3 games he's still got some upside at 27/28 years old.

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

according to this nbc sports article, Vaughn is making the team as primary DH out of spring training barring some unforeseen scenario

this is news right?

If it was written in stone by the hand of God for our leaders to lead us to the promised land it would be news. But it's not . Most still expect him to start in the minors for the extra year.

Thank you, both!  

He’s going to be a good one, but extremely difficult trying to predict what he will do next season, especially if he starts the year with the Sox.

I’m thinking his floor is pretty high so I’m not too worried about him.  If we semi-blocked him for the year with a solid DH, I would not have disagreed, but if we’re rolling with him, he should hold his own.  He barely needs to do anything to improve the DH position, so he’s got that going for him.  

5 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Anyone have video of Vaughn showing some massive power?  Every highlight I’ve seen, he’s hitting a super boring gapper. 

He doesn't have massive power for a 1b but he did hit a lot of bombs in college. His statcast numbers in the minors point to like 55 grade raw power but the ability to get to all of it due to his hit tool.

Scouts do expect him to hit like 30 bombs.

He probably is not a nelson cruz who hits 45 bombs at his peak but 30 bombs with a 290 average and 370 obp is really nice.

It will also be interesting what approach he chooses. If he goes for power and pulls the ball a lot he will hit some more homers but take a babip hit and hit probably more like 270 (basically what konerko did). 

But he could also use an all field approach and maybe hit high 20s homers with a 300+ average.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Well...that's why God made extensions.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also Madrigal  and a better Robert whose upside is better than anyone on the team. Hopefully Moncada can get back to where he was and we still haven't seen the best of Eloy either. Anderson could get better too even though some expect some regression. But judging by the last 2 years and the Oakland playoff series where he got 9 hits in 3 games he's still got some upside at 27/28 years old.

The key, and what is so exciting about this team, are the ceilings for all of these guys.  We are talking about elite, blue chip players here.  Sky’s the limit fir each of them.  Should be a lot of fun watching how well they make it to those ceilings over the next several years. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In his first spring he did pretty well hitting. 279/. 375/459 with 2 Homers which is about an 18 Homer full season pace with 20% k and 11% bb and an. 830 ops

Obviously that is a small sample but would you take that for his first season? 

I would take 280 with a 370 obp and 20 Homers his first year but a bit more power would obviously be nice.