Mickey Callaway accused of sexual harassment

caulfield12

30 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The culture is changing. Imagine if this happened today

If it's a change, it's a shallow one. How many Porters or Calloways aren't being reported because of fear of reprisal? I don't think any real culture shift is happening unless fans demand it.

10 hours ago, daggins said:

If it's a change, it's a shallow one. How many Porters or Calloways aren't being reported because of fear of reprisal? I don't think any real culture shift is happening unless fans demand it.

I think fans went from defending players and coaches while blaming the victims a decade ago and are now more willing to call out behavior like Calloway's. Just dropping the public defending was a step in the right direction.  

We should also acknowledge that fans accept women in coaching and front office roles. I'm not certain that would have been the case at the turn of the century. 

No doubt there are more women and men that don't report it,  and probably some people that rightfully lose sleep at night worried they will. And there is still a long ways to go. But I'm encouraged by the pace on the path and direction we're going as a sport. I believe the pace isn't linear,  but exponential. 

Yeah I agree. More people are reporting it and teams nowadays fire guys pretty quickly.

Still probably many women won't come out because they fear a "double punishment" where their story is believed and action is taken (which is better than previously where nothing was done) but still their job is made harder because teams are reluctant to let them work with them for the fear of similar stories getting out.

That is kinda like canseco after he made those steroid accusations. That stuff proved to be true but he still was tremendously hated for "snitching", especially because he did it himself (which he admitted of course but "dragged" other colleagues into it.

This kind of unofficial punishment is a big problem that gets ignored too. Even if a female journalist keeps her job and they do believe her story and fire the predator that is a good thing but it doesn't mean her job won't be harder after that. They might still allow her into the clubhouse but be a bit more tight lipped (because she is viewed as a risk and "trouble maker") when providing information which affects her ability to write good articles.

This stuff will take much longer to be resolved. People now say "what do you want? since me too companies are actually firing predators" but while that is good and true there are still unofficial repercussions that will make your job harder even if you "won", like for example your boss who was friends with the fired guy now being tougher or colleagues shunning you.

This stuff needs to change too and it is much harder to do because that stuff happens so subtly that it is hard to enforce legally.

Good companies now have anti retaliation policies but in many cases it is hard to prove.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, this is still widely pervasive in society.

I am required to take a Sexual Harassment course, required for all Illinois licensed professionals (I'm a early retiree CPA, keeping my license at least one renewal period) due to the severity of what happened in Springfield the past several years and a law to combat it. Also see what has happened in Albany, and decades long abuse in Hollywood and many other industries. 

Media is at least covering these issues openly as of late, and hopefully awareness and intolerance of permitting this to continue forces change sooner rather than later.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1