Getz is promoted to Ast GM

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The key is who is making this decision. If Tony makes the call, he is a high leverage guy until Tony departs. If the FO make Tony adhere to what Getz laid out (multi-inning relief role), it could work if they stick with the plan and don't panic and shift him when the inevitable bullpen injury occurs.

The bottom line is a healthy Crochet needs to be able to be slotted into a starting role in 2022 if healthy and capable, likely with inning restrictions (140-160?).

I'd be more worried about not sticking to the plan if our bullpen wasn't so stacked. No reason to use him in high leverage situations all the time when you have the horses we have in the pen.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm not sure is so controversial about Crochet in bullpen? You have to stretch him out and you have to stretch Kopech out. Both should be either in multi inning roles or working as openers pitching 2-3 innings at a time. Over 162 games they'll get their work. 

Look at Ryan Yarbrough for the Rays as your example. In 2019 he pitched 140 innings. Started 14 games (mostly as opener) and pitched in relief in multi-inning roles. These guys are going to be able to get 100-120 innings no problem. 100-120 IP in the regular season + sprinkling in a few more in the postseason? I don't want anymore than that out of them and I'd rather them take all those innings at the major league level. 

After you have one more year under your belt of Kopech, Cease, Rodon and Crochet you can better make your decision on what to do with Lynn next offseason. 

Without even looking at his game logs, how much do you want to bet that his 14 starts are due to them regularly using an opener for him and allowing him to throw 5-6 innings on those days, so that he was basically a regular starting pitcher for 2/3 of the season - just not recording starts because of the opener?

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I hope they at least hold him down for the two weeks or whatever.. Otherwise, why not bring him up at the end of last year?

Because they had Edwin who was getting paid nicely and Jerry won't let handsomely (relatively) paid players ride the pine.

Other than that, there is absolutely zero need to try and get an extra year out of Vaughn by keeping him down 2 weeks and just pissing him off to retain more control. The window to win is now. He'll be here during for the entirety of it, service time manipulation games or not.

Plus the CBA might have a thing or two to say about that this time next year.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

54 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Because they had Edwin who was getting paid nicely and Jerry won't let handsomely (relatively) paid players ride the pine.

Other than that, there is absolutely zero need to try and get an extra year out of Vaughn by keeping him down 2 weeks and just pissing him off to retain more control. The window to win is now. He'll be here during for the entirety of it, service time manipulation games or not.

Plus the CBA might have a thing or two to say about that this time next year.

It won’t matter based on his draft year stat line and anecdotal evidence from Schaumburg last year hardly proves admissible in a hearing.   They can point at Madrigal’s speed of promotion, but he still had considerably more MiLB experience and the numbers to justify moving him (or Robert, for that matter) so quickly. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

As someone who was very critical of our PD, and still think it moved too slow, I think Getz has done a really great job and deserves praise

I have always thought Getz was a smart hard-working player and done very well in his player development role.  Wise of RH to have baseball types around him.  Brings a different skill set to the table.

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It won’t matter based on his draft year stat line and anecdotal evidence from Schaumburg last year hardly proves admissible in a hearing.   They can point at Madrigal’s speed of promotion, but he still had considerably more MiLB experience and the numbers to justify moving him (or Robert, for that matter) so quickly. 

Aren't the minor leagues being delayed again this year? At what point are these guys going to start playing games again? 

31 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have always thought Getz was a smart hard-working player and done very well in his player development role.  Wise of RH to have baseball types around him.  Brings a different skill set to the table.

Poppy, I can’t tell if you incessant optimism wears me out or is wearing me down ...

2 hours ago, smellysox said:

Who was in this position before Getz? Nick Hostetler is still there too right?

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Aren't the minor leagues being delayed again this year? At what point are these guys going to start playing games again? 

Most recently, early to mid-May...

https://theathletic.com/2198181/2020/11/15/white-sox-instructional-league-andrew-vaughn-jake-burger-garrett-crochet/

Don’t think Getz’s optimistic quotes on Yolbert Sanchez will bear any fruit, but let’s keep the puff pieces rolling.  The crazy thing is how close that “wasted” money is to the Y.Cespedes and likely Colas deals.  Oh, well.

Edited by caulfield12

I still dont think my Kopech/Crochet piggyback idea is something that would be so fire. 3 innings a piece to start out with then ramp it up to 4. You do that for 30ish starts and you get them the innings they need. 

Idk if thats ever really been done before or if its really that outside of the box or what. I think it's brilliant. I think they have enough high quality arms in the pen to use 2 spots on 1 rotation arm....especially since 1-3 in the rotation should really be able to eat innings. 

9 hours ago, GradMc said:

Doubt seriously he would traded FTJR.

He would be a worthy Hahn replacement in Reinsdorf's world.

JR values highly the Harvard trained contract/agent background that RH brings to the table.  He had KW in the GM role with RH as assistant GM.  A baseball man is needed but today's game has lots of legal pitfalls that need to be covered that the typical baseball guy doesn't have the background for.  This might be a signal that KW is nearing the end of the line.

I think he starts in triple A and throws down there until mid May. Sox will call him up and stick him in the pen for long relief and between those two options for the year he will throw some innings . I also think if Rodon starts out well in spring training he gets the nod over kopech and kopech starts in triple A as well and comes up when Rodon or any other pitcher gets hurt or starts failing. Also think doubleheader’s great way to call someone up this year and get a game in. It will work out we have some good young arms.

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Without even looking at his game logs, how much do you want to bet that his 14 starts are due to them regularly using an opener for him and allowing him to throw 5-6 innings on those days, so that he was basically a regular starting pitcher for 2/3 of the season - just not recording starts because of the opener?

Not everything is about bets and proving people right or wrong. I've had Yarbrough on my fantasy teams for three years in a row ... he's logged some games of 2 innings, some of 3 innings, some of 6 innings and some of 7 innings. I don't really get how that plan is any different, or cant be used in the same manner on Crochet & Kopech. On good days, let them run a bit more, on bad days an inning or two. If they weren't such similar pitchers I'd just put them as my #5 as back to back guys. Meaning having Crochet do 2-4 innings, then Kopech 2-4 innings. 

Also just to give you some solace for a bet?

2018 - 147 IP, pitched into the 6th 8 times of his 38 appearances

2019 was used more as traditional starter role and pitched half of his appearances into the 6th. Pitched 141 innings. 

Edited by BrianAnderson

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

JR values highly the Harvard trained contract/agent background that RH brings to the table.  He had KW in the GM role with RH as assistant GM.  A baseball man is needed but today's game has lots of legal pitfalls that need to be covered that the typical baseball guy doesn't have the background for.  This might be a signal that KW is nearing the end of the line.

There is a huge difference between signing Cubans at cut rate deals and being able to evaluate talent. 

Hahn and Bridich are the only two GMs who haven’t won a division in several years who remain in their jobs. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/1356777151425613827

Non Harvard guy can Kenny Williams flip his GM World Series ring out to Hahn and Bridich if they ever pull the Harvard card and ask “How do you like them apples?”

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There is a huge difference between signing Cubans at cut rate deals and being able to evaluate talent. 

Hahn and Bridich are the only two GMs who haven’t won a division in several years who remain in their jobs. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/1356777151425613827

Non Harvard guy can Kenny Williams flip his GM World Series ring out to Hahn and Bridich if they ever pull the Harvard card and ask “How do you like them apples?”

The contract extensions RH has overseen...are a direct result of his contract knowledge I believe.

40 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The contract extensions RH has overseen...are a direct result of his contract knowledge I believe.

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

Just stating that before you and others write-off  "baseball guys" off as at "the end of the line", consensus opinion in and out of the game is these two "highly trained Harvard guys",  GMs Hahn and Bridich, made the worst all time trades in franchise history.

50888697327_0e7ad440d5_h-1.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men