Colome to Twins, 1YR 5M plus option

margiss

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

For everyone that says every outing was an adventure - I'm going to plainly state he was an excellent closer for the White Sox. Flat out he converted saves at a high level.  Whether I bet on him being able to maintain that balancing act, maybe not - but at $5M this was a great use of resources for the Twins.  

He did a good job but he's teetering on the edge of a cliff.

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Colomes WHIP with the Sox was 1.03. Where did this always an adventure meme come from?

Hendriks is going to be very hard pressed to out produce Colome's time here, but I certainly get why we did it for going forward 

Colome did his job while here...so I wish him well and good luck when not playing the Sox.  Hendriks is a real upgrade...so I am glad to say welcome aboard.  I certainly look forward to a more relaxed finish on the majority of games.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Sure seems Sox paid full price for everything while other teams got a big discount 

This is what happened when Jerry handed control to Crony LaRussa , resulting in mostly crony signings at or above their market value (Lynn, Hendricks, Eaton, Duncan).

Another smart Twins signing.

tony.jpg

That cat looks terrified.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

People like to pretend that Colome wasn’t very good here because he doesn’t fit the advanced stats narrative, but but bottom line is that he was nothing but a top notch closer for the Sox. This is a great deal for any team and given the Jerry handicap on the team’s budget I thinks it’s fair to question the Hendricks contract Vs what Colome got paid...even tho there’s no denying Hendricks is better. 

Colome, Brantley, and Wacha or Hendricks and Eaton? 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which one of them is closing for the Twins?

“Colome, Brantley, and Wacha or Hendricks and Eaton? 

I was just commenting on the previous post’s last throwaway sentence.

The answer, of course, is neither those two Rays’ starters or Colome will be closing for the Twins.

2003 (Kenny Rogers), 2010 (Thome vs. Kotsay, rotating DH), guess we were overdue to have Cruz and Colome be big difference makers between the Twins and White Sox.   

For the FIP lovers and those unconcerned about saves/SVO, we shall see if Hendriks is worth more than twice the money.   Colome’s taking a decent-sized salary cut, he’s going to be motivated to prove all the doubters wrong.   For my money, I would haven taken Yates, Colome and still had money left over to spend on LH power hitting.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

If we would’ve signed him for $5 it wouldn’t be so “meh”.  No he doesn’t throw 97 but the man has good stuff and his results were more than “meh”

I’m sure I would have.  5mil or not, I’m not a huge fan of him remaining an above average closer moving forward.

Hendriks is more expensive, but I don’t trust the Sox would have spent that money elsewhere.  Some of the money probably would have been used to dumpster dive.  I’ll take the elite player when they decide to spend.  And Hendriks is elite.  

Colome is a good pitcher.  His stuff is decent, and he knows how to pitch.  But I’d rather not rely on my closers relying on guile and defense for the last 3-6 outs of the game.  I want a guy who is going to come in the game and miss a ton of bats and leave as little to chance as possible.  A closer doesn’t have 6 innings to play with, it’s do or die immediately. 

There were also games last year when Colome’s stuff looked horrible, and I have no idea how he ended up getting three hitters out, but I’m not celebrating that appearance, only the victory.  Some days, it just seemed harder for him to get his arm loose or something.  Which isn’t good when you’re normal stuff is already naturally regressing.  

Hendiks is the opposite of all that, and he is a force to be reckoned with.  The amount of bats he’s going to miss compared to Colome next few seasons is well worth the extra money.  

The Twins signing Colome is “cool, they added a dude to the back of their pen.”  Or, “the Twins have a bullpen.”

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Colomes WHIP with the Sox was 1.03. Where did this always an adventure meme come from?

Hendriks is going to be very hard pressed to out produce Colome's time here, but I certainly get why we did it for going forward 

Yeah but he didn't strike out a lot of guys so he does need some batted balls falling in his favor. 

He does have the skill to induce weak contact his whole career but still obviously with contact something can always happen and you would prefer a high K guy who doesn't even allow contact even though he maybe walks some guys

https://theathletic.com/2364895/2021/02/03/alex-colome-twins-free-agency-bullpen/?amp#click=https://t.co/4vio8wkDb2

Sources said the Twins enlisted Cruz to recruit Colomé. Cruz’s cousin and right-hand man, Adiel, is close with Colomé, who also spent four years with Twins manager Rocco Baldelli when he was a coach for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Edited by SoxAce

47 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Loved Colome and I rarely stressed over his "adventures" like half the gameday threads...but I am calling it...he is finally gonna lose his "luck" streak this season. he will be a fine closer, but his chance at below 2.00 ERA is gone imo. 

With OUR luck he will be lights out and give up 0 runs for us.

15 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Dumpster diving for a guy who was an excellent closer for us for 2 years?

Please, Sox... do more "dumpster diving."

People are kidding themselves if they don't think this division is still going to be tough for the Sox to win. Realistically, we added 1 starter and little else. Our team is still potentially going to be very tenuous.

If you don't think an offseason of JA Happ, Alex Colome, and Andrelton Simmons is dumpster diving for a team that is smack dab in the midst or the back end of their contention window...then yeah, agree to disagree.  Bringing back Cruz was pretty important, though at some point that guys age is going to catch up to him.

Those moves made the Twins better than they were before they were signed - no doubt about it.  But not exactly a huge offseason for the Twins.  And I also said the Twins were dumpster diving along with the Sox.  Also not impressed with the Sox offseason - though they spent more than the Twins did the entire offseason on just Hendriks. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Yeah I would say even trading May for Colome will be a net-loss. I don't feel like qualifying every comment on Colome, he was great, replicating what he did in terms of overall success will be hard, but it would have been harder for Colome than it would have for Hendriks.

I don't think Colome is likely to be "nearly perfect" next year, but I think overall during the year there's a good chance Hendricks and Colome are comparable in terms of save %age. A couple blown saves each, unless one of them gets hurt or falls apart.

Where they're different is in the extreme situations. Tie game in extra innings, which one do you want coming in to pitch the 10th and 11th innings to keep things shut down? 2 runners on in the 7th inning of the first round of the playoffs and Bummer already used, which one do you want available for a 2.1 inning save to send you to the next round? You get to the playoffs with Bummer and Hendriks out there...games are over if you get a lead in the middle innings.

Is that worth an extra $10 million this season? Yes, if you can get there. The question I still have is - if your starting rotation breaks down because you didn't provide enough depth, and you miss the playoffs by 2 games because one starter got hurt and the back of your rotation crumbled, was that extra $10 million well spent? Obviously not.

That's what I mean when I say that RH made deals this offseason assuming he already had a playoff team, rather than trying to ensure he had a playoff team. We will see if that assumption holds.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you don't think an offseason of JA Happ, Alex Colome, and Andrelton Simmons is dumpster diving for a team that is smack dab in the midst or the back end of their contention window...then yeah, agree to disagree.  Bringing back Cruz was pretty important, though at some point that guys age is going to catch up to him.

Those moves made the Twins better than they were before they were signed - no doubt about it.  But not exactly a huge offseason for the Twins.  And I also said the Twins were dumpster diving along with the Sox.  Also not impressed with the Sox offseason - though they spent more than the Twins did the entire offseason on just Hendriks. 

You kinda just disproved yourself with your own post. Colome is a great addition. And if you are admitting that a team that was already good is even better then that is true enough to what I'm saying. 

If Colome is a dumpster dive then we need to do better dumpster diving.

I think people are more likely to remember the tough innings Colomé had, but don't really remember all the clean, or almost totally clean innings he had.

Last year he had 21 (i think) appearances. In 8 of those appearances he faced the minimum number of batters. Additionally, i think he only allowed more than 2 baserunners 3 times. So pretty clean.

Obviously, he may come back to earth. But do I think Hendriks is worth 2.1X what the Twins will pay Colomé this season? No.

• Like 1