Colome to Twins, 1YR 5M plus option

margiss

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

You kinda just disproved yourself with your own post. Colome is a great addition. And if you are admitting that a team that was already good is even better then that is true enough to what I'm saying. 

If Colome is a dumpster dive then we need to do better dumpster diving.

No, I don't think the Twins are better than they were last year.  I think they were better than they were before they signed the FAs.  The Twins bullpen is still worse than it was last year.  The Twins rotation is worse than it was last year.  The Twins offense is worse than it was last year.  The only thing that improved is MI defense - admittedly but a lot.  

I agree Colome is solid addition at $6.25M.  But he's not a world beater and his peripherals (and the eye test) suggest significant regression moving forward. Not at all impressed with the Twins offseason.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think Colome is likely to be "nearly perfect" next year, but I think overall during the year there's a good chance Hendricks and Colome are comparable in terms of save %age. A couple blown saves each, unless one of them gets hurt or falls apart.

I think its far from a guarantee that the Twins just hand Colome the closers role and kick Rogers to the side.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No, I don't think the Twins are better than they were last year.  I think they were better than they were before they signed the FAs.  The Twins bullpen is still worse than it was last year.  The Twins rotation is worse than it was last year.  The Twins offense is worse than it was last year.  The only thing that improved is MI defense - admittedly but a lot.  

I agree Colome is solid addition at $6.25M.  But he's not a world beater and his peripherals (and the eye test) suggest significant regression moving forward. Not at all impressed with the Twins offseason.  

Gotcha, misread your post. 

Still, that's one helluva dumpster dive and the Twins are still gonna he tough. 

31 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I think people are more likely to remember the tough innings Colomé had, but don't really remember all the clean, or almost totally clean innings he had.

Last year he had 21 (i think) appearances. In 8 of those appearances he faced the minimum number of batters. Additionally, i think he only allowed more than 2 baserunners 3 times. So pretty clean.

Obviously, he may come back to earth. But do I think Hendriks is worth 2.1X what the Twins will pay Colomé this season? No.

Its actually less than half FWIW.  Colome $6.25M guaranteed in 21.  Hendriks $11M guaranteed in 21.

The Hendriks contract is a little goofy due to the 4th year buyout/guaranteed money thing, but $13.25M AAV on a 4 year deal (which is really what the deal is) for one the elite closers the last two seasons isn't a bad contract IMO.  Now whether or not he can sustain that level of success....we'll have to see.  

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Gotcha, misread your post. 

Still, that's one helluva dumpster dive and the Twins are still gonna he tough. 

Definitely agree that the Twins will be tough.  Going to be a back and forth race all year, I'm sure.  

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Big thing for Twins is if there 2019 offense shows up or their 2020 offense.  If it’s 2019, they will win the division most likely.

• Haha 1