Jonathan Lucroy signs minor league deal with White Sox

Sleepy Harold

Lucroy timeline as best I can together (with herniated disk):  

1. plays about 3 seasons with it (2017-2019)

2. July 7, 2019 - home plate collision gets concussed and broken nose (on top of disk). Has nasal surgery.

3. July 31, returns to lineup in 3 weeks, get a couple of hits.

4. Aug 7th, gets traded to Cubs, numbers down a bit but finishes the season, plays in 27 games, starts 14 with 11 CG's. 

5. 2019 post season surgery & rehab (date?), signs with Red Sox, goes to ST just 3-4 months after surgery (not 100% yet), plays just 2 innings in July, dfa'd July 29th (to alt train site), released Sept 15th.

This guy is a freakin' bad ass!  If anyone can return from this surgery, its him.  If he can and makes the club, think of the leadership alone that he adds.

6 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Lucroy timeline as best I can together (with herniated disk):  

1. plays about 3 seasons with it (2017-2019)

2. July 7, 2019 - home plate collision gets concussed and broken nose (on top of disk). Has nasal surgery.

3. July 31, returns to lineup in 3 weeks, get a couple of hits.

4. Aug 7th, gets traded to Cubs, numbers down a bit but finishes the season, plays in 27 games, starts 14 with 11 CG's. 

5. 2019 post season surgery & rehab (date?), signs with Red Sox, goes to ST just 3-4 months after surgery (not 100% yet), plays just 2 innings in July, dfa'd July 29th (to alt train site), released Sept 15th.

This guy is a freakin' bad ass!  If anyone can return from this surgery, its him.  If he can and makes the club, think of the leadership alone that he adds.

Everyone associated with the Sox in the media like Merkin expects him to be on the team unless he sustains another injury. Probably start the year with Collins too.

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

Come on man.  You can't be serious with this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Everyone associated with the Sox in the media like Merkin expects him to be on the team unless he sustains another injury. Probably start the year with Collins too.

Narron was the bridge between Sox and Lucroy.  LaRussa was looking for some added veteran experience.  Collins needs to impress this spring or he could lose playing time if Lucroy is the primary back-up.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/how-jonathan-lucroy-fits-white-sox-spring-training-backup-catcher-battle

Edited by SCCWS
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As tough as he is, he's struggled post surgery but hasn't quit.  They're hoping more than factual.  Me too!  Hopefully, the added rehab time, allows him to compete at a higher level.  But I think he's in uncharted waters (have there been others?)   Maybe he's already shown he's capable and some are privy but no public hint of that yet.  Otherwise, Merkin and others have no clue unless he/they play Orthopedic Surgeons on tv.    It will be a helluva story if he makes it!

Edited by Rounding_Third

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Come on man.  You can't be serious with this.

100%. It was such an obvious move, and they completely flubbed it. I mean, Matt Skole, Yander Alonso, and AJ Reed in a year the team isn't competing? Such boneheaded moves.

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

As tough as he is, he's struggled post surgery but hasn't quit.  They're hoping more than factual.  Me too!  Hopefully, the added rehab time, allows him to compete at a higher level.  But I think he's in uncharted waters (have there been others?)   Maybe he's already shown he's capable and some are privy but no public hint of that yet.  Otherwise, Merkin and others have no clue unless he/they play Orthopedic Surgeons on tv.    It will be a helluva story if he makes it!

I think the whole LaRussa/Narron/Lucroy thing plus Merkin being somewhat of an insider is why they think he will make the opening day roster. James (our Sox insider) seems to think so too.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

100%. It was such an obvious move, and they completely flubbed it. I mean, Matt Skole, Yander Alonso, and AJ Reed in a year the team isn't competing? Such boneheaded moves.

Not playing a back up DH is a bigger blunder than Tatis for Shields. This is officially a parody account now. Yermin doesn't rank in the top 10, let alone #1.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not playing a back up DH is a bigger blunder than Tatis for Shields. This is officially a parody account now. Yermin doesn't rank in the top 10, let alone #1.

Stop it. Nobody could have predicted that Tatis Jr would turn into a perennial MVP candidate. He was a lottery ticket. 

Yermin's numbers that season in the minors were ridiculous. He mashed in the pitchers paradise at Birmingham then put up an OPS north of 1.000 in AAA. It was clear Yermin could hit and should have been given a chance. Hahn decided to play literal garbage players at DH in a year where the Sox weren't competing. It is inexcusable. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the whole LaRussa/Narron/Lucroy thing plus Merkin being somewhat of an insider is why they think he will make the opening day roster. James (our Sox insider) seems to think so too.

If by that they mean its his job to lose, I like it!  My point is that hopefully his body is ready to compete again.  No one can predict that and say its a done deal.  I was able to thumb thru the BoSox 2020 ST box scores (couldn't find 2020 ST stats) and found he hit .286 so that's great news.  Pretty much had equal AB's among C's, too. Why he barely got a chance after ST (1 G, 2 inn, 0 PA's for all 2020) is a little odd although they kept him in the org for most of the year, They also had some other pretty good catchers.  I've quickly become a big fan of him and his story of courage & perseverance.

Edited by Rounding_Third

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Lucroy makes the team, wonder where Collins ends up? His MLB at bats would be in jeopardy.

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

If Lucroy makes the team, wonder where Collins ends up? His MLB at bats would be in jeopardy.

Either go back down and work on his holes and be ready for callup or get traded to a non competitor where he gets the same chance perhaps at MLB level.  He has skills but Sox need dependable backup.  He needs more significant competitive playing time somewhere.

31 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Stop it. Nobody could have predicted that Tatis Jr would turn into a perennial MVP candidate. He was a lottery ticket. 

Yermin's numbers that season in the minors were ridiculous. He mashed in the pitchers paradise at Birmingham then put up an OPS north of 1.000 in AAA. It was clear Yermin could hit and should have been given a chance. Hahn decided to play literal garbage players at DH in a year where the Sox weren't competing. It is inexcusable. 

Yermon Mercedes in all likelihood is a 4A player. He has no defensive position to play. You are talking about his skills in the past tense like he has proven anything. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Narron was the bridge between Sox and Lucroy.  LaRussa was looking for some added veteran experience.  Collins needs to impress this spring or he could lose playing time if Lucroy is the primary back-up.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/how-jonathan-lucroy-fits-white-sox-spring-training-backup-catcher-battle

Thanks for posting, but I thought Narron was brought in to develop young catchers, not pass them over to bring in yet another relic Tony can remember from a decade plus earlier when he last managed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for posting, but I thought Narron was brought in to develop young catchers, not pass them over to bring in yet another relic Tony can remember from a decade plus earlier when he last managed.

Lucroy hardly fits that description.  His 3 recent years playing with a herniated disk blows away Sox BUC competition.  i.e. could beat 'em with one hand tied behind his back.

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

Either go back down and work on his holes and be ready for callup or get traded to a non competitor where he gets the same chance perhaps at MLB level.  He has skills but Sox need dependable backup.  He needs more significant competitive playing time somewhere.

If the White Sox aren't confident enough to give him a big league shot, no one is going to trade for him. Other teams will know that in a year or two, he'll wind up available on the waiver wire or non-tendered.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox aren't confident enough to give him a big league shot, no one is going to trade for him. Other teams will know that in a year or two, he'll wind up available on the waiver wire or non-tendered.

I think the Sox believe in him but smart enough to know they can't afford to try to train him during a WS run.  If he and Lucroy both have good ST, it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod for opening day,  But if he struggles in ST, they just can't hand him the job.  I assume they would not trade him.  It's almost as if he just needs to flip a switch, maybe he did this offseason already.  I mean, hitting aside, how does a fairly good defensive catcher just forget it going to the show?  That's not a skills problem.  I think other teams know it too.  Could be a change of scenery flips him on.  But the Sox do need him and need him to figure it out quickly,  That's best accomplished playing as much as possible.  Hopefully they both don't struggle in ST....eeesch!....hello Yermin!  

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yermon Mercedes in all likelihood is a 4A player. He has no defensive position to play. You are talking about his skills in the past tense like he has proven anything. 

It's easy to say what someone is . What they can be is a whole other book to be read. I wonder what they were saying about Edgar Martinez before his age 27 season.

I like rooting for the underdog who seems to love being a baseball player and hasn't let anything stop him.

17 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unless Tony or the FO don't see Collins as the future at catcher? 

16 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's easy to say what someone is . What they can be is a whole other book to be read. I wonder what they were saying about Edgar Martinez before his age 27 season.

I like rooting for the underdog who seems to love being a baseball player and hasn't let anything stop him.

Edgar Martinez had a .300 season with am OPS of 800 by age 27, including about 1000 MLB PAs. Let's not be ridiculous here.