Jonathan Lucroy signs minor league deal with White Sox

Sleepy Harold

On 2/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, Eminor3rd said:

No team can “afford” it’s third-string catcher getting too many ABs. 

Yermin is "my" third-string catcher and I would love to see him get a fair # of at-bats while giving Vaughn a chance to sign an extension.  He is a prospect worth developing for trade value if nothing else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yermin is "my" third-string catcher and I would love to see him get a fair # of at-bats while giving Vaughn a chance to sign an extension.  He is a prospect worth developing for trade value if nothing else.

Yermin needs to improve immensely behind the plate to be a third string catcher. At this point, placing a mattress behind the dish would be just about as effective. If he really wants to improve back there, he should never leave Jerry Narron's presence at ST. 

55 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yermin needs to improve immensely behind the plate to be a third string catcher. At this point, placing a mattress behind the dish would be just about as effective. If he really wants to improve back there, he should never leave Jerry Narron's presence at ST. 

In a world that will have both leagues with DH in the not too distant future...he is a commodity worth something if we can showcase the hit tool.  To call him a 3rd catcher is the same as saying DH with emergency catcher capabilities IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

In a world that will have both leagues with DH in the not too distant future...he is a commodity worth something if we can showcase the hit tool.  To call him a 3rd catcher is the same as saying DH with emergency catcher capabilities IMO.

I'm excited about Yermin's bat too, but the point is that if Grandal goes down to injury, there's no way in hell the Sox are going to entrust the staff to a Collins/Yermin tandem. Even if Lucroy never gets another hit at the MLB level, he'll be tapped to lead the pitching staff and call games, because pitchers need stuff like that and love it when they have a guy they can feel confident with.

And, if that does happen, hopefully Collins takes some notes.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Nobody is higher on Yermin's bat than I am, but the guy is in no way, shape or form able to catch at a major league level. 

38 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm excited about Yermin's bat too, but the point is that if Grandal goes down to injury, there's no way in hell the Sox are going to entrust the staff to a Collins/Yermin tandem. Even if Lucroy never gets another hit at the MLB level, he'll be tapped to lead the pitching staff and call games, because pitchers need stuff like that and love it when they have a guy they can feel confident with.

And, if that does happen, hopefully Collins takes some notes.

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Nobody is higher on Yermin's bat than I am, but the guy is in no way, shape or form able to catch at a major league level. 

I am not advocating Yermin as a backup catcher.  Yermin would be my 3rd/emergency catcher until Vaughn comes up... primarily filling in as DH.  I don't and never did want Yermin to catch in anything other than mop-up situations.

51 minutes ago, oldsox said:

How much has anyone here seen Yermin play defense?

I saw him quite a bit when I would watch a lot of the MiLB.TV feeds back in 2019, it leaves a lot to be desired. If Yaz dropping a few balls here and there drives people up a wall, Yermin would make their heads explode. It's not to say that he won't/couldn't improve, but a lot of work needs to be done.

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

Skole?

Over the trade that shall not be named?  That’s Top 5 hyperbole here, from an expert in it.   It’s the third string back-up QB syndrome all over again.

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Eh he can squat and put on a glove and call pitches and catch them. I think the narratives on how bad he is gets overblown. Winston-Salem, Birmingham and Charlotte pitching  staffs didn't blow up when he caught them. Just saying he wouldn't be a disaster .

2/14 Happy 28th  Birthday Yermin !

Article from yesterday about Yermin .https://fromthe108.com/2021/02/13/the-case-for-yermin-mercedes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-case-for-yermin-mercedes 

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Skole?

Over the trade that shall not be named?  That’s Top 5 hyperbole here, from an expert in it.   It’s the third string back-up QB syndrome all over again.

The hyberbole part is right but that's ok . Yermin has got a cult following and I almost feel as if I have been the leader of it since I've been curious about him and asking about him since he was with Winston-Salem. The little the actual public has seen on him has been the last spring training where he hit as well as anyone in Az.

52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The hyberbole part is right but that's ok . Yermin has got a cult following and I almost feel as if I have been the leader of it since I've been curious about him and asking about him since he was with Winston-Salem. The little the actual public has seen on him has been the last spring training where he hit as well as anyone in Az.

Ryan Sweeney?  Wilson Betemit?   Sox fans have witnessed plenty of HoF springs.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ryan Sweeney?  Wilson Betemit?   Sox fans have witnessed plenty of HoF springs.

Sure every team has but once he got to Birmingham I think this guy could smell the big leagues and hasn't had a bad stretch hitting since then even in small sample sizes like ST.

Besides it's his Birthday today so rather than start a thread to celebrate it, I'll just do it here.

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

You have to include Welington Castillo in there . There was really no reason to play Beef at the end of the year but there he was starting a bunch of games from the middle of July to the end of September. He wasn't going to be back with the Sox. If you can't play your kids over a 32 yr old catcher during a rebuild it's idiotic, especially in Mercedes case because you don't really give a damn about service time.