Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy Harold

Jonathan Lucroy signs minor league deal with White Sox

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does that mean no Vaughn opening day or that Collins won’t be getting a job out of the gate?

I never would have expected Vaughn on the team day 1. They could break camp with 3 catchers and then send Collins down or DFA Lucroy when Vaughn is ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I never would have expected Vaughn on the team day 1. They could break camp with 3 catchers and then send Collins down or DFA Lucroy when Vaughn is ready.

I only mention it given the possibility of an extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I only mention it given the possibility of an extension.

Thats true. 

Anyone else get the feeling they just don't like Collins? Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Thats true. 

Anyone else get the feeling they just don't like Collins? Ha

Just now figuring that out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fathom said:

Just now figuring that out?

Nope. Thought this for what, 2 years now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, Eminor3rd said:

No team can “afford” it’s third-string catcher getting too many ABs. 

Yermin is "my" third-string catcher and I would love to see him get a fair # of at-bats while giving Vaughn a chance to sign an extension.  He is a prospect worth developing for trade value if nothing else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yermin is "my" third-string catcher and I would love to see him get a fair # of at-bats while giving Vaughn a chance to sign an extension.  He is a prospect worth developing for trade value if nothing else.

Yermin is your third-string DH homie

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yermin is your third-string DH homie

This.  If he could catch at all, he would have already been on the roster.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yermin is "my" third-string catcher and I would love to see him get a fair # of at-bats while giving Vaughn a chance to sign an extension.  He is a prospect worth developing for trade value if nothing else.

Yermin needs to improve immensely behind the plate to be a third string catcher. At this point, placing a mattress behind the dish would be just about as effective. If he really wants to improve back there, he should never leave Jerry Narron's presence at ST. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yermin needs to improve immensely behind the plate to be a third string catcher. At this point, placing a mattress behind the dish would be just about as effective. If he really wants to improve back there, he should never leave Jerry Narron's presence at ST. 

In a world that will have both leagues with DH in the not too distant future...he is a commodity worth something if we can showcase the hit tool.  To call him a 3rd catcher is the same as saying DH with emergency catcher capabilities IMO.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, poppysox said:

In a world that will have both leagues with DH in the not too distant future...he is a commodity worth something if we can showcase the hit tool.  To call him a 3rd catcher is the same as saying DH with emergency catcher capabilities IMO.

 

I'm excited about Yermin's bat too, but the point is that if Grandal goes down to injury, there's no way in hell the Sox are going to entrust the staff to a Collins/Yermin tandem. Even if Lucroy never gets another hit at the MLB level, he'll be tapped to lead the pitching staff and call games, because pitchers need stuff like that and love it when they have a guy they can feel confident with.

And, if that does happen, hopefully Collins takes some notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, poppysox said:

In a world that will have both leagues with DH in the not too distant future...he is a commodity worth something if we can showcase the hit tool.  To call him a 3rd catcher is the same as saying DH with emergency catcher capabilities IMO.

 

Nobody is higher on Yermin's bat than I am, but the guy is in no way, shape or form able to catch at a major league level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm excited about Yermin's bat too, but the point is that if Grandal goes down to injury, there's no way in hell the Sox are going to entrust the staff to a Collins/Yermin tandem. Even if Lucroy never gets another hit at the MLB level, he'll be tapped to lead the pitching staff and call games, because pitchers need stuff like that and love it when they have a guy they can feel confident with.

And, if that does happen, hopefully Collins takes some notes.

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Nobody is higher on Yermin's bat than I am, but the guy is in no way, shape or form able to catch at a major league level. 

I am not advocating Yermin as a backup catcher.  Yermin would be my 3rd/emergency catcher until Vaughn comes up... primarily filling in as DH.  I don't and never did want Yermin to catch in anything other than mop-up situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Sox (White) have two org catchers waiting in the wings who haven't yet mastered their trade. Good to go. I'll take the guy with the broken neck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much has anyone here seen Yermin play defense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, oldsox said:

How much has anyone here seen Yermin play defense?

I saw him quite a bit when I would watch a lot of the MiLB.TV feeds back in 2019, it leaves a lot to be desired. If Yaz dropping a few balls here and there drives people up a wall, Yermin would make their heads explode. It's not to say that he won't/couldn't improve, but a lot of work needs to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ron883 said:

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

Skole?

Over the trade that shall not be named?  That’s Top 5 hyperbole here, from an expert in it.   It’s the third string back-up QB syndrome all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Nobody is higher on Yermin's bat than I am, but the guy is in no way, shape or form able to catch at a major league level. 

Eh he can squat and put on a glove and call pitches and catch them. I think the narratives on how bad he is gets overblown. Winston-Salem, Birmingham and Charlotte pitching  staffs didn't blow up when he caught them. Just saying he wouldn't be a disaster .

2/14 Happy 28th  Birthday Yermin !

Article from yesterday about Yermin .https://fromthe108.com/2021/02/13/the-case-for-yermin-mercedes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-case-for-yermin-mercedes 

 

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Skole?

Over the trade that shall not be named?  That’s Top 5 hyperbole here, from an expert in it.   It’s the third string back-up QB syndrome all over again.

The hyberbole part is right but that's ok . Yermin has got a cult following and I almost feel as if I have been the leader of it since I've been curious about him and asking about him since he was with Winston-Salem. The little the actual public has seen on him has been the last spring training where he hit as well as anyone in Az.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The hyberbole part is right but that's ok . Yermin has got a cult following and I almost feel as if I have been the leader of it since I've been curious about him and asking about him since he was with Winston-Salem. The little the actual public has seen on him has been the last spring training where he hit as well as anyone in Az.

 

Ryan Sweeney?  Wilson Betemit?   Sox fans have witnessed plenty of HoF springs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ryan Sweeney?  Wilson Betemit?   Sox fans have witnessed plenty of HoF springs.

Sure every team has but once he got to Birmingham I think this guy could smell the big leagues and hasn't had a bad stretch hitting since then even in small sample sizes like ST.

Besides it's his Birthday today so rather than start a thread to celebrate it, I'll just do it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ron883 said:

I pray Yermin gets a shot to start the year as DH with Collins. Hahn playing trash like AJ Reed, Yander Alonso and Matt Smoke instead of giving Yermin a shot may turn out to be the biggest blunder in his GM career up to this point. Once Vaughn comes up, Yermin's chances to play are over. Somebody else will get him eventually, and he will mash. 

You have to include Welington Castillo in there . There was really no reason to play Beef at the end of the year but there he was starting a bunch of games from the middle of July to the end of September. He wasn't going to be back with the Sox. If you can't play your kids over a 32 yr old catcher during a rebuild it's idiotic, especially in Mercedes case because you don't really give a damn about service time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×