So a Giolito extension...

Rey21

45 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So will every starter worth their salt that won't give us a major hometown discount.  

They missed the boat on offering him a extension. I think the plan is, offering Lynn a 2yr extension, hoping Ceasing makes a jump this year(although he turned down an extension), and hoping Kopech makes a leap to lessen the trading of Giolito. I would guess, they offer Kopech an extension sometime between now and next offseason.

This team is set up for a 3yr window with a lot of things.

44 minutes ago, Cashman said:

They missed the boat on offering him a extension. I think the plan is, offering Lynn a 2yr extension, hoping Ceasing makes a jump this year(although he turned down an extension), and hoping Kopech makes a leap to lessen the trading of Giolito. I would guess, they offer Kopech an extension sometime between now and next offseason.

Again, just because he hasn't signed one, doesn't mean they haven't offered an extension.

56 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Same problem with Lynn, there’s no way he’s signing an extension after seeing that money. 

Edited by Sockin

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, just because he hasn't signed one, doesn't mean they haven't offered an extension.

I am pretty sure Cease was offered one, and declined.

I am not going to play the possible vs probable game. There is a precedence with Jerry and signing pitchers. It is not going to happen with Giolito. It is going to be a Sale 2.0 kind of trade.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

They could offer him now 7/120. This would buy out the 3 arb years (maybe 35m or so combined) and then give them 4 more years which would make him a FA at age 32 and gives him another chance for a good payday.

At best, you’re going to get 5 years (two extra years of control) because Reinsdorf doesn’t trust long-term deals for ANY pitchers.  And they’re not going to be confident in any contention window extending beyond 2025.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m not going to spend the next 3 years freaking out about losing Giolito. Between the new CBA, possibly a new owner and Giolito not exactly having a long track record of success, a lot fan chance over the next 36 months.

Absolutely.  I think we’re pretty much a top 3 destination this decade.  Hahn has a lot of cost certainty with those brilliant extensions no other team is doing.  Let’s let it play out.  So far, A+ across the board

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m not going to spend the next 3 years freaking out about losing Giolito. Between the new CBA, possibly a new owner and Giolito not exactly having a long track record of success, a lot fan chance over the next 36 months.

Yes. Well said. There are to many variables that can affect that right now or as they say  "we have bigger fish to fry."