NFL 2021 offseason thread

6 hours ago, scs787 said:

Orlando Brown Jr. is seeking a trade. 24 year old Pro Bowl LT.....He def gets a first rounder right? 

He's an example of teams getting too carried away with combine numbers and forgetting what a guy does on tape.  He was phenomenal at Oklahoma and had lots of first round buzz, but after testing poorly, started to be considered a mid-round pick.  And yet here we are, Brown is a Pro Bowl OT on an incredibly affordable contract (for now).  And if they trade him, they'll get a haul.  You can't forget athletic traits completely, but it never made sense to me why Brown fell so far on team's draft boards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Expensive player, team way over the cap, roster is a mess, player showed willingness to come to a release agreement.

I can see him wanting to play for Packers or Steelers. His wife plays for Chicago MLS team, but I think hed prefer to go to a contender as he already has plenty of money. 

12 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Yea at that price I can't believe we didn't get him.  

This has to go back to the fact that he preferred to play for his old OC (who is a HC). That isnt' to say he didn't have high esteem for Defillipo - as I think he does - but I 100% get why Wentz would have leaned to go play for Reich - who he played at a high level with and who is the head coach.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This has to go back to the fact that he preferred to play for his old OC (who is a HC). That isnt' to say he didn't have high esteem for Defillipo - as I think he does - but I 100% get why Wentz would have leaned to go play for Reich - who he played at a high level with and who is the head coach.  

Plus he's got an actual o-line in Indy.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Damn it - what a stellar move by Colts. Total coup! 

Given where both teams are, I like the move for the Colts - they can afford to take that risk.  However, I'd have been disappointed to see the Bears do it.  I've harped on this a bunch in this thread, but Pace has been careless with trading away draft picks, which has put us in a position where we need to be stockpiling picks rather than trading them away.  We need an infusion of youth.  The Bears roster is one of the oldest in the NFL, which is a major problem for a team that is barely a playoff team.  The good news is that roster turnover can happen very quickly in the NFL, but you need draft picks and cap space to do it, and we have very little of either.  It would only make things worse to trade away 2 more picks and take on $47M in guaranteed money over the next 2 years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dasox24 said:

Given where both teams are, I like the move for the Colts - they can afford to take that risk.  However, I'd have been disappointed to see the Bears do it.  I've harped on this a bunch in this thread, but Pace has been careless with trading away draft picks, which has put us in a position where we need to be stockpiling picks rather than trading them away.  We need an infusion of youth.  The Bears roster is one of the oldest in the NFL, which is a major problem for a team that is barely a playoff team.  The good news is that roster turnover can happen very quickly in the NFL, but you need draft picks and cap space to do it, and we have very little of either.  It would only make things worse to trade away 2 more picks and take on $47M in guaranteed money over the next 2 years.

Yea I don't disagree with this at all, ideally we would be making long term moves but unfortunately Pace can't afford to do that.

1 hour ago, bigruss said:

Yea I don't disagree with this at all, ideally we would be making long term moves but unfortunately Pace can't afford to do that.

For sure.  It's the unfortunate reality that George McCaskey put us in when he decided to keep the same management structure.  My only hope is that they've set some parameters around Pace so he can't just trade away whatever he wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. I do get the Inkling bears are going to go into draft not yet solving qb. After that - we will see if they draft a qb like Mac Jones or lance or if they trade for D’Arnold or Ryan after their respective teams take a qb. 

Feels like at this point - No Qb move is happening for bears until at or after the draft.