NFL 2021 offseason thread

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wilson looks incredible. I’d be somewhat nervous on the “mahomes is best qb now and he does mahomes stuff” but maybe the josh Allen/mahomes and maybe even kyler Murray takeaway is it’s worth it to take the QBs that can do crazy stuff in field.

But then, was Mitch that? And then my brain breaks.

Yeah - Wilson has a lot of those ad-lib plays that make him look like he can be a special player when things break-down. Level of competition he played against was pretty weak though...but he definitely has a lot of those WTF (in a good way) throws.  

The good thing about wilson is he can play behind terrible offensive lines. 

It would be incredible. Wilson would be idolized here. He could open up a steakhouse that only sold hot dogs with ketchup and fans would lineup around the block.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Please please please please.  

I wish I believed in sports conspiracy theories so I could imagine the league twisting the arm of seattle to trade him to Chicago so the nfl can put them in primetime and have them not be awful to watch in exchange for quashing some longtime investigation into seattle supplying players with steroids for a decade.

8 minutes ago, bigruss said:

What would/could we trade for him?  

I presume the price is going to be on par with all the other suggestions around Watson. So the price will be expensive and reality is Bears only chance is Wilson narrowing the market and forcing the Seahawks hand a bit.  

So if Wilson really plays hardball and sticks to that list - the good news is - no one is dangling a top 5 type of 1st round pick and no team has massive cap space. In fact - if I look at the Saints - they are in a pretty tough spot so I don't know how they could actually get the cap in a position to add Wilson and they certainly have no more assets than the Bears.  

The Cowboys would seem to be the big wildcard - they have Dak - so that might take them out of the bidding. However, that also could make them the more lucrative partner as Seahawks could get a franchise QB back in Dak (presuming franchise and trade type of deal) plus maybe other picks. 

Oakland has a QB it can offer too - Carr - but similarly - they don't have a ton of stocked assets in terms of picks and their 1st round pick (17) is just 3 picks better than Bears - so not a huge difference.  

Honestly - if, big if - Wilson were to keep his list this tight and force the Seahawks hand - the Bears would seemingly be in as good of a position, if not better than most of the other competitors.  

If Wilson would expand his list to other teams - that probably quickly dissapates to point where others could and probably would offer more (i.e., Miami).  

42 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So if Wilson really plays hardball and sticks to that list - the good news is - no one is dangling a top 5 type of 1st round pick and no team has massive cap space. In fact - if I look at the Saints - they are in a pretty tough spot so I don't know how they could actually get the cap in a position to add Wilson and they certainly have no more assets than the Bears.  

The Cowboys would seem to be the big wildcard - they have Dak - so that might take them out of the bidding. However, that also could make them the more lucrative partner as Seahawks could get a franchise QB back in Dak (presuming franchise and trade type of deal) plus maybe other picks. 

Oakland has a QB it can offer too - Carr - but similarly - they don't have a ton of stocked assets in terms of picks and their 1st round pick (17) is just 3 picks better than Bears - so not a huge difference.  

Honestly - if, big if - Wilson were to keep his list this tight and force the Seahawks hand - the Bears would seemingly be in as good of a position, if not better than most of the other competitors.  

If Wilson would expand his list to other teams - that probably quickly dissapates to point where others could and probably would offer more (i.e., Miami).  

I wonder if he shares agencies with any of those QBs, hey may not want to screw their situation.

spotrac shows the bears would acquire just 19 mill in a trade, and the seahawks get crushed with a 39 million hit. Brutal. Hard in NFL, there's not real dead salary you can send out to bears. But with that amount, pretty easy to work with. 

Maybe this as a trade:

Bears franchise and trade allen robinson for a dolphins #36 overall pick.

Bears trade #20, #36, 2022 1st round, 2022 3rd round pick, 2023 1st round pick, to Seahawks for wilson. (3 1st rounders, 1 high 2nd (that is near a #1), 1 3rd rounder (valued as a fourth)

Bears then restructure Mack, draft OT in round 2, etc. Cut Massey/Graham. Convert some of Jackson into signing bonus, cut skrine, cut miller.

$16 million in cap space, sign juju, ifedi back, santos back, get some weird vets that want to play with wilson. voila.

Oh also seattle has to take foles lol sorry.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wonder if he shares agencies with any of those QBs, hey may not want to screw their situation.

spotrac shows the bears would acquire just 19 mill in a trade, and the seahawks get crushed with a 39 million hit. Brutal. Hard in NFL, there's not real dead salary you can send out to bears. But with that amount, pretty easy to work with. 

Maybe this as a trade:

Bears franchise and trade allen robinson for a dolphins #36 overall pick.

Bears trade #20, #36, 2021 1st round, 2021 3rd round pick, 2023 1st round pick, to Seahawks for wilson. (3 1st rounders, 1 high 2nd (that is near a #1), 1 3rd rounder (valued as a fourth)

Bears then restructure Mack, draft OT in round 2, etc. Cut Massey/Graham. Convert some of Jackson into signing bonus, cut skrine, cut miller.

$16 million in cap space, sign juju, ifedi back, santos back, get some weird vets that want to play with wilson. voila.

Oh also seattle has to take foles lol sorry.

I know this was probably rushed but you have the Bears trading two 1's (unless you meant "2022 1st round pick" when you actually wrote "2021 1st round pick" since you already included #20) 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I know this was probably rushed but you have the Bears trading two 1's (unless you meant "2022 1st round pick" when you actually wrote "2021 1st round pick" since you already included #20) 

oh, yes, 2021/22/23 1sts, 21 #36 (via mia), 22 3rd

2 hours ago, bmags said:

this is hilarious

The Texans seem to be willing to tell Watson to fuck off until he's ready to play. He's signed for the next 5 years, so idk what he can do here. 

I don't see Watson willing to just sit out for years until they move him. He doesn't get paid if he doesn't play. 

If they're prepared to do that, maybe the NFL steps in and tells them to move him because he's a face of the league, idk. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Texans seem to be willing to tell Watson to fuck off until he's ready to play. He's signed for the next 5 years, so idk what he can do here. 

I don't see Watson willing to just sit out for years until they move him. He doesn't get paid if he doesn't play. 

If they're prepared to do that, maybe the NFL steps in and tells them to move him because he's a face of the league, idk. 

Combine the bad press with the cap space locked up in Watson, and if he’s really willing to sit out the Texans will lose eventually.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Combine the bad press with the cap space locked up in Watson, and if he’s really willing to sit out the Texans will lose eventually.

I think their attitude is: "Either we have him, or nobody does" 

Based on what's already happened, I really don't think they give two shits about negative press. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If I were the Texans - I wouldn't budge.  That said - I think they'll get some pretty tremendous trade offers that at some point outweigh the headache.  But If I were in charge of them - well first - I wouldn't have got myself into this corner - but if I was - I wouldn't back down with ease on this.  25 year old franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Texans - I wouldn't budge.  That said - I think they'll get some pretty tremendous trade offers that at some point outweigh the headache.  But If I were in charge of them - well first - I wouldn't have got myself into this corner - but if I was - I wouldn't back down with ease on this.  25 year old franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  

I think where people rightly believe they'll fail is it seems too difficult to both assert their leverage while rectifying the situation.

When a player is trying to force a new deal on their contract, but team doesn't agree with the number, it's easy for team to just say "you signed this contract and we don't have to pay you, if you don't want to get paid at all that's fine, sit".

But Watson's pressure right now is "you've poisoned this relationship, I don't respect the org, and you just made sweeping changes without bothering to consult my interests, etc", to respond with "we aren't going to trade the player" and hardball him over contract...just doesn't seem to work.

Now, part of this is just acknowledging how incompetent the texans are to get to this place to start. Clearly they suck at communicating. Clearly they seem like assholes or idiots.

I'm sure a better org could both work to assert that won't trade him ("we are fully committed to you as QB and will prove it to you") and working to rebuild the relationship. But a group that could do that...wouldn't be where the texans are in the first place.

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think their attitude is: "Either we have him, or nobody does" 

Based on what's already happened, I really don't think they give two shits about negative press. 

No way that is their attitude.  They simply don’t want to give up a franchise QB unless they have to and right now they are hoping he’s bluffing.  At some point either Watson caves or this threat becomes very real and they reluctantly move him.