NFL 2021 offseason thread

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think they get Watson - either way - I think they are going to get one of the two big names.  

I know some here will get offended because I don't have the pom pons out for Pace. [Some people here can only tolerate sacchariney-sweet cheerleading at ALL TIMES, WSI-style.]

That said, I think that Watson is/was offended by Pace's ingeniously-glorious decision to NOT have Watson out for dinner during the draft process. [Gotta compliment ALL FOs in town, or else some people here might whine about how they can't tolerate anything other than positivity.]

Because of this intelligence on the part of a highly-competent BEARS FO, I think it is more likely that Watson would refuse a trade to Chicago. After all, he can choose where to go, or he can refuse to report, or he can immediately request another trade if he were to be sent to Chicago. I think that IF a QB is traded to Chicago, it'll be Wilson, not Watson.

That said, my contacts in Seattle doubt that it'll happen. NOT because of Pace's pulsating brain an ability to out-think others, just like he out-thought the league to get Trubisky with his awesome trade-up. My contacts don't think that the BEARS have the asset necessary to make it happen, vis a vis a QB to send to Seattle.

No matter what happens, I think we all have to be 10,000% positive, like a fucking Disney movie, and not ever point out any sort of perceived failing on the part of ANY FO in Chicago. 

16 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I know some here will get offended because I don't have the pom pons out for Pace. [Some people here can only tolerate sacchariney-sweet cheerleading at ALL TIMES, WSI-style.]

That said, I think that Watson is/was offended by Pace's ingeniously-glorious decision to NOT have Watson out for dinner during the draft process. [Gotta compliment ALL FOs in town, or else some people here might whine about how they can't tolerate anything other than positivity.]

Because of this intelligence on the part of a highly-competent BEARS FO, I think it is more likely that Watson would refuse a trade to Chicago. After all, he can choose where to go, or he can refuse to report, or he can immediately request another trade if he were to be sent to Chicago. I think that IF a QB is traded to Chicago, it'll be Wilson, not Watson.

That said, my contacts in Seattle doubt that it'll happen. NOT because of Pace's pulsating brain an ability to out-think others, just like he out-thought the league to get Trubisky with his awesome trade-up. My contacts don't think that the BEARS have the asset necessary to make it happen, vis a vis a QB to send to Seattle.

No matter what happens, I think we all have to be 10,000% positive, like a fucking Disney movie, and not ever point out any sort of perceived failing on the part of ANY FO in Chicago. 

I don't think there are many of these people left whose name doesn't end in Braggs

also, I don't know how your can look at this site and feel like it doesn't allow you to criticize a front office.  This is not true even a little bit.  

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't think there are many of these people left whose name doesn't end in Braggs

also, I don't know how your can look at this site and feel like it doesn't allow you to criticize a front office.  This is not true even a little bit.  

You don't have to go back too far on my posting history to see those types. You don't have to go back too far to see the sacchariney-sweet types who can't handle any sort of "negativity." [Shrugs]

1 minute ago, bmags said:

What a brave boy criticizing the bears front office in the nfl thread.

LOL, yeah, there's a fair amount of those over here who don't like any sort of critique of any of the FOs in town...

That said, I don't know if this org even SHOULD pursue a QB, given the awesome job they've done hereto fore in the four QB decisions they've made. But if it's Watson v. Wilson, I think it will more likely be the latter rather than the former.

When the dust settles, I don't think this team will land either, in all honesty. I think it'll be in the Foles, Alex Smith, Sam Darnold, Ryan Fitzpartick level of QB. 

• Like 1

A lot of the media types bothering to mock out a Russel Wilson trade continue to include Mack.

That seems unlikely to me with the dead cap of wilson + mack's salary. Especially since if there is a year to go FA fishing it would be this one, and it looks like Shaq Barrett may be available.

I wonder if deals this year will feature more guaranteed cash with lower first year base salaries to get around this years lowered cap, considering what the Dak deal may have tipped about the upcoming lucrative FA deal.

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

You don't have to go back too far on my posting history to see those types. You don't have to go back too far to see the sacchariney-sweet types who can't handle any sort of "negativity." [Shrugs]

LOL, yeah, there's a fair amount of those over here who don't like any sort of critique of any of the FOs in town...

That said, I don't know if this org even SHOULD pursue a QB, given the awesome job they've done hereto fore in the four QB decisions they've made. But if it's Watson v. Wilson, I think it will more likely be the latter rather than the former.

When the dust settles, I don't think this team will land either, in all honesty. I think it'll be in the Foles, Alex Smith, Sam Darnold, Ryan Fitzpartick level of QB. 

Bmags is certainly no fan of this front office but ok. 

I hope your dust settles prediction is wrong but I'm not going to say it isn't likely 

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bmags is certainly no fan of this front office but ok. 

I hope your dust settles prediction is wrong but I'm not going to say it isn't likely 

Nah, it ain't Bmags who can't handle "negativity."

But, while Houston might be coerced into trading Watson, I don't think Watson wants to come here. Athletes are egotistical, and I don't see Watson getting around any perceived slight at this stage of his career. That's even BEFORE getting into what the cost of acquisition might be for a player like Watson.

OTOH, Wilson might want to come here, but I don't think that there are enough assets to convince Seattle to give him up. Why, exactly, would Seattle want to be the "one team" that's trying to compete that doesn't have an established QB? And why would they trade him inside the conference? Pete Carroll's about to be 70 years old this September. Why would he want to go into a re-tooling process at this point in his career?

Darnold/Fitzpatrick/Foles/Smith/Winston isn't what I would want in an ideal situation. But I think the best that this FO/coaching staff can do would be to sign the best FA they can find, and hope that it works out.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On 3/7/2021 at 3:15 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Trubisky is mobile enough to avoid tons of sacks, but there was absolutely zero space for the running backs to gain yards, and Trubisky had to complete make a bunch of 4 yard throws because that's all the time he had.

Maybe teams began to stack the box because the QB was a tomato can

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's super weird how Twitter lit up about Russ last night.  I felt like a bunch of people saw a tweet that I couldn't see, that stated a trade was close

The tweet was Josina Anderson saying “welp...”

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's super weird how Twitter lit up about Russ last night.  I felt like a bunch of people saw a tweet that I couldn't see, that stated a trade was close

It was so annoying to me! With sox twitter - which I am only on the edges of - I know very quickly what rumors everyone is alluding to.

With bears twitter? Everyone just talks about what everyone is talking about but nobody friggen quote tweets or anything it's all stuck in some random ass reply thread.

• Like 1

It is funny - for everyone that says you can't build a team without 1st round picks - look at the Rams. And I'm not saying the Rams have been perfect - but they have been trading picks for years and have had no cap space for years. They have somehow figured out a way. Maybe it will blow up in 2 years and yes they have an amazing coach in McVay - but they have consistently contended for years and had a coupler super bowl contending type squads. 

I didn't love the Stafford trade - but I get tired of the - you can't win with just X.   It might be true - but over time - good teams figure out a way and teams with good QB's tend to figure it out sooner vs. later.  Now if it takes like 3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, plus Jaylon Johnson and Roquan Smith - yeah - I'm walking away from that sort of a deal.  

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Tweets about shifts in Vegas odds as a way to interpret rumors. I'm now wondering whether this or the "Food guys" will be a worse experience. 

I actually wish people would speak in percentages for team moves more often. Seems like a lot of people only digest stuff as binary "YOU SAID TEAM WAS INTERESTED IN PLAYER BUT DIDNT GET THEM!"

One other comment - when it comes to trading 3 1st round picks - I kind of think of things this way. I think in the draft over 3 years - you'll probably have a hit, an okay and a miss up at the top.  So if I think of Bears recent picks - you have Roquan (hit), Floyd (meh/ok), and White (bust)....do i really feel bad losing that sort of production for Wilson?  There is definitely the cap aspect that i'm not factoring in here - but even if I replaced White with a Kyle Fuller - I'm super content with losing that for a guy like Wilson.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tweets about shifts in Vegas odds as a way to interpret rumors. I'm now wondering whether this or the "Food guys" will be a worse experience. 

I would trust a Vegas hunch over a food guy hunch every day all day

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

One other comment - when it comes to trading 3 1st round picks - I kind of think of things this way. I think in the draft over 3 years - you'll probably have a hit, an okay and a miss up at the top.  So if I think of Bears recent picks - you have Roquan (hit), Floyd (meh/ok), and White (bust)....do i really feel bad losing that sort of production for Wilson?  There is definitely the cap aspect that i'm not factoring in here - but even if I replaced White with a Kyle Fuller - I'm super content with losing that for a guy like Wilson.  

Those 3 guys were all drafted in the top 10. You’d hope the 3 first you’re trading this year is the 20th pick, and 2 picks in the next 2 drafts in the 20-25 range. I’d do that in a heart beat if that’s all it takes.