NFL 2021 offseason thread

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Has something changed about Jones where the Bears could now be expected to get him in the draft without having to trade up substantially?

No - I should be clear - when I say Bears are going to get a QB in round 1 - it has to be them trading future picks and/or assets to move up (probably into the top 10). I think if they go with Dalton - they are basically saying we aren't going to stick with Foles - we just can't - but we also need to make a play at the future.  I actually am okay with this move - it just goes back to how bad the Nick Foles move was a year ago.  

I think a lot of reports have been out there that a year ago - Pace panicked and got Foles.  I think it was a pure reaction to missing out on Bridgewater (or some other unnamed QB) and he didn't want to not have anyone so he made a move.  

I don't think we know enough about Mac Jones being a guaranteed top ten just more that it's more likely he's a top ten pick then two months ago according to NFL draft media, but he may have always been a likely top ten or he's still a "if a team likes him" pick.

I do like him. I could definitely see him being a pick that is undervalued because of who the top QBs are now, but has some undeniable traits (mainly, accuracy) that are hard to ignore. I think he could be a philip rivers level, but he very well could be teddy bridgewater redux. 

Yesterday Dane Brugler had bears trading up to 17 to get Jones, Fishbain had bears get him at 20. Daniel Jeremiah's last had him at 27, others had him at 15. I've seen him as high as 7. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Interesting the way Biggs talks about the bears this offseason, as if all the info he is getting is agent-side/outside F.O.

Yeah - the one person I follow is Riddick - and Riddick has been adamant the club will swing big. He is pretty tight with Nagy so I feel there is some info being shared there and Riddick is always careful with what he shares (rarely player specific on the Bears).  

For all we know - Bears are using the Wilson/Watson as a smoke-screen to keep leverage with teams they are talking with in terms of moving up in the draft.  

6 hours ago, bmags said:

confused by Mac Jones sandwich down there

I use Mac Jones - because he's probably the most realistic 1st round QB get - but you could insert any of the potential candidates there. Just think of this as being - I can be excited with any of them - because they could be amazing - they could be okay - they could be bad. But the important part is - there is at least a possibility (how probable - who knows) - that they could be elite - so that gives me something to be excited for.  

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think we know enough about Mac Jones being a guaranteed top ten just more that it's more likely he's a top ten pick then two months ago according to NFL draft media, but he may have always been a likely top ten or he's still a "if a team likes him" pick.

I do like him. I could definitely see him being a pick that is undervalued because of who the top QBs are now, but has some undeniable traits (mainly, accuracy) that are hard to ignore. I think he could be a philip rivers level, but he very well could be teddy bridgewater redux. 

Yesterday Dane Brugler had bears trading up to 17 to get Jones, Fishbain had bears get him at 20. Daniel Jeremiah's last had him at 27, others had him at 15. I've seen him as high as 7. 🤷‍♂️

Until deals are made, I could see San Fran (12), Minnesota (14), especially New England (15), and Washington (19) all as potential places he could land in that range. If no one else takes him, and they don't move up - I'd struggle to see him getting past New England.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I use Mac Jones - because he's probably the most realistic 1st round QB get - but you could insert any of the potential candidates there. Just think of this as being - I can be excited with any of them - because they could be amazing - they could be okay - they could be bad. But the important part is - there is at least a possibility (how probable - who knows) - that they could be elite - so that gives me something to be excited for.  

I'm starting to think Trey Lance may be more realistic than Jones.

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles are basically the same QB.  I don't see how adding Dalton would improve the roster, and he'll probably end up costing a lot (~$10M over 1 year) if the Winston and Fitzmagic deals are any indication.  I feel like adding Dalton would be Pace making a move simply to make a move.  He'll spin it to ownership and the fans like he's trying every avenue to find a QB, but we all know Dalton doesn't move the needle.  I'm trying to await judgement until everything is settled, but it is not looking good right now.  I really hope I'm wrong.

46 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No - I should be clear - when I say Bears are going to get a QB in round 1 - it has to be them trading future picks and/or assets to move up (probably into the top 10). I think if they go with Dalton - they are basically saying we aren't going to stick with Foles - we just can't - but we also need to make a play at the future.  I actually am okay with this move - it just goes back to how bad the Nick Foles move was a year ago.  

I think a lot of reports have been out there that a year ago - Pace panicked and got Foles.  I think it was a pure reaction to missing out on Bridgewater (or some other unnamed QB) and he didn't want to not have anyone so he made a move.  

Do we really think five QBs go into the top 10 though?  I really think one slips to around 15 and that’s an area we can get to without trading a crazy amount of assets.

2 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles are basically the same QB.  I don't see how adding Dalton would improve the roster, and he'll probably end up costing a lot (~$10M over 1 year) if the Winston and Fitzmagic deals are any indication.  I feel like adding Dalton would be Pace making a move simply to make a move.  He'll spin it to ownership and the fans like he's trying every avenue to find a QB, but we all know Dalton doesn't move the needle.  I'm trying to await judgement until everything is settled, but it is not looking good right now.  I really hope I'm wrong.

I here you - Foles was a disaster - but Andy Dalton is significantly better than Foles.  While he hasn't won a playoff game - he's been a key part to a ton of playoff teams and proven himself as a full time starter. He's also proven who he is - which is a middle of the road starting caliber QB (unless father time has caught him).  He clearly is not a top 10 QB (and never will be).  That said - he's a heck of a lot better and more stable player than Nick Foles (Foles is a hot & cold QB who is immobile and very injury prone who has really never been a full-time starter other than his flash-in the pan with Chip Kelly).  

Cap wise though - having Dalton & Foles + moving up to get a QB is a bad use of cap space - but in a year it won't look so bad (cause Foles is gone in a year).  

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do we really think five QBs go into the top 10 though?  I really think one slips to around 15 and that’s an area we can get to without trading a crazy amount of assets.

I am assuming so - but I might be wrong.  

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, it's only one mock, but the first one I found by Googling has 5 QB in the first 9, and that's with several teams moving up for them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-49ers-washington-trade-up-for-qbs-jets-deal-to-pair-heisman-winner-with-zach-wilson/

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would probably bet against it, but in general this year lines up well for it. And I think it makes sense to assume any QBs go higher than lower. I feel like everytime a QB is mocked in the 20s they go in the low tens, any time they are a high second rounder they go in the 20s. So one of NE, SF, MN could go QB. Denver could go QB. WSH could go QB. 

There are a lot of borderline cases hard to know what to make of it, and if any of those teams feel like QB is this year for them, they'll probably trade up.

27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I here you - Foles was a disaster - but Andy Dalton is significantly better than Foles.  While he hasn't won a playoff game - he's been a key part to a ton of playoff teams and proven himself as a full time starter. He's also proven who he is - which is a middle of the road starting caliber QB (unless father time has caught him).  He clearly is not a top 10 QB (and never will be).  That said - he's a heck of a lot better and more stable player than Nick Foles (Foles is a hot & cold QB who is immobile and very injury prone who has really never been a full-time starter other than his flash-in the pan with Chip Kelly).  

Cap wise though - having Dalton & Foles + moving up to get a QB is a bad use of cap space - but in a year it won't look so bad (cause Foles is gone in a year).  

Dalton has been suffering behind a D+ offensive line. Would be exciting to see how much better he can be behind a C- offensive line.

I'm gonna keep pounding the Jaime Newman drum if we miss out on Watson/Wilson. I feel like you could either trade down in the first or trade up from the 2nd round to get him just to be safe. I think theres a chance hes there at their pick in the 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, it's only one mock, but the first one I found by Googling has 5 QB in the first 9, and that's with several teams moving up for them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-49ers-washington-trade-up-for-qbs-jets-deal-to-pair-heisman-winner-with-zach-wilson/

The last time five QBs went anywhere close to the top ten was in 1999 and that was with Cade McNown being taken by us 12th overall.  Five QBs went in the 1st in 2018, with four in the top 10 and Lamar Jackson taken 32nd overall.  Point is it’s really rare to have this deep of a QB class plus have enough teams willing to spend a high 1st on a QB.  I still think one of Mac Jones or Trey Lance slips to the middle of the 1st round and the Bears at 20 will be in prime position to make a trade to land said player.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I would probably bet against it, but in general this year lines up well for it. And I think it makes sense to assume any QBs go higher than lower. I feel like everytime a QB is mocked in the 20s they go in the low tens, any time they are a high second rounder they go in the 20s. So one of NE, SF, MN could go QB. Denver could go QB. WSH could go QB. 

There are a lot of borderline cases hard to know what to make of it, and if any of those teams feel like QB is this year for them, they'll probably trade up.

All fair points but there are still semi interesting QB prospects who will go in the 2nd & 3rd and I just feel like enough teams pursue the high end EDGE rushers, tackles, & CBs before settling on a B tier QB prospect and push one of Mac Jones or Trey Lance down to around 15.

34 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'm gonna keep pounding the Jaime Newman drum if we miss out on Watson/Wilson. I feel like you could either trade down in the first or trade up from the 2nd round to get him just to be safe. I think theres a chance hes there at their pick in the 2nd. 

I can’t see any way Newman goes in the 1st, but he’s definitely an intriguing developmental guy if you can land him in the late 2nd / early 3rd.

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not sure how much Pace had to pay Schefter to write it - but I hope other teams view Miller that way :). He is one of those guys that even if he breaks out - it won't bother me one bit. He was never going to change on the Bears - a change of scenery is his best shot.  

• Like 1