NFL 2021 offseason thread

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Plus if they go the LT route - they probably can't afford Robinson.  

If they trade A-Rob then they really need to add two legit WRs IMO.  I love Mooney but I don’t ever see him becoming a #1 WR.  This draft is loaded though so we should be able to land a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd if we hold onto those picks.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Schaffer just said you can take it to the bank 4 QBs will be taken in the first 6 or 7 picks. That means #5 is going to go a lot earlier than he should.

Four QBs went in the top 10 in 2018 and Lamar Jackson didn’t go until 32.  It’s very clear there are three A tier QB prospects in this draft, but Lance & Jones are a tier below and aren’t guarantees to go top ten IMO.  I think one will and the other will fall to the middle of the 1st.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Four QBs went in the top 10 in 2018 and Lamar Jackson didn’t go until 32.  It’s very clear there are three A tier QB prospects in this draft, but Lance & Jones are a tier below and aren’t guarantees to go top ten IMO.  I think one will and the other will fall to the middle of the 1st.

There are just way too many teams in need of a QB - so even if one is more a mid 1st round or late 1st round grade, given the importance of the position in the game and the amount of teams who are in need - there is no way one falls to 20 unless they just bomb their proday/interviews/meetings with teams.  

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they trade A-Rob then they really need to add two legit WRs IMO.  I love Mooney but I don’t ever see him becoming a #1 WR.  This draft is loaded though so we should be able to land a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd if we hold onto those picks.

I would say 1 - you can get another in the draft and 1 via FA.  I actually think Mooney has a legit chance to be an elite wideout.  Not sure it will happen but he has a TON of tools.  I'd prefer to keep Arob and presume that is the path the Bears would go - but I don't love that much money tied up at wideout.  

• Like 1

This is so dumb, that's so much money to waste on Andy freakin Dalton.  Pace has thrown away so much capital at getting terrible qbs.  This franchise won't improve until he's gone, what a terrible terrible GM hire, once again.

• Like 4

I won't jump to conclusion(s) - yet.  I don't think this stops them from grabbing another guy and not sure how this deal is structured. It just might mean if they get a wilson or someone else that they will need to move Nick Foles as part of that deal and quite frankly - that shouldn't be an issue. It seems like if anything - they wanted to hedge their bets - because - I get it - you can't just assume you'll get Wilson and/or have access to a top flight 1st round pick.

Plus - for all of you who rip on Pace - isn't this what a new GM would have probably done anyway - bring in a bridge QB and start to churn the roster and/or make other decisions - so worse case - Pace doesn't make a big swing at a young QB and or one of the all pro's available - and it is kind of one of those - depending on health/defense/schedule this team will win anywhere from 6 to 10 games.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Even if the Bears think he will be good, what other team was willing to give him $9 million that necessitated the Bears offering $10 million???

I will say that Tyrod Taylor just made $10mill plus. But why the bears felt they needed to have dalton while also having foles? No idea.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re going to have to blow everything up after this coming season. Doesn’t seem to be any hope for the next 3-4 seasons.

Fine, do it now. What are you doing with Andy Dalton when you already have Foles in the room? And I'm sorry, but with the way the media works today, the Bears did NOTHING to calm the Russell Wilson rumors. I don't want to hear "Well that's the fans fault for getting excited, the Bears probably never were even close." If that's the case, then you dump cold water on those reports to the "Insiders" that were reporting it. But they let it reach critical levels. Now the fan base has to accept Nick Foles and Andy Dalton in 2021. 

Where is this franchise going? What does this move accomplish? What is the plan here? 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Fine, do it now. What are you doing with Andy Dalton when you already have Foles in the room? And I'm sorry, but with the way the media works today, the Bears did NOTHING to calm the Russell Wilson rumors. I don't want to hear "Well that's the fans fault for getting excited, the Bears probably never were even close." If that's the case, then you dump cold water on those reports to the "Insiders" that were reporting it. But they let it reach critical levels. Now the fan base has to accept Nick Foles and Andy Dalton in 2021. 

Where is this franchise going? What does this move accomplish? What is the plan here? 

It's on the McCaskey's.  Pace and Nagy are nearing the ends of their deals, they need to "win now", they're not interested in blowing it up and getting a 2-3 year rebuild going.  I just hope Pace doesn't do a ton of damage on his way out. 

Just now, SoxFan562004 said:

It's on the McCaskey's.  Pace and Nagy are nearing the ends of their deals, they need to "win now", they're not interested in blowing it up and getting a 2-3 year rebuild going.  I just hope Pace doesn't do a ton of damage on his way out. 

Fine....then give Seattle 7 first round picks and go get Russ. If you need to win now, I can buy that. 

Andy Dalton is Nick Foles with red hair. You spent draft capital and a bunch of money to sign Foles last year....when Dalton was available. So he wasn't right then, bur this year he's the right fit to go along with Nick Foles? I just don't understand where they think they are going with this move. Where does it take them? 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Isn't this your best case scenario? I don't understand why you aren't celebrating.

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

There are just way too many teams in need of a QB - so even if one is more a mid 1st round or late 1st round grade, given the importance of the position in the game and the amount of teams who are in need - there is no way one falls to 20 unless they just bomb their proday/interviews/meetings with teams.  

I think there are always plenty of teams in need of QBs, but it’s a far bigger price to take a B tier QB prospect if you’re passing on a cornerstone tackle, EDGE, or CB.  That’s why five QBs in the top 10 is mostly unprecedented.  Also, I’m not suggesting Jones or Lance falls to 20 but closer to 15.  Honestly, the only reason I point this out is going up 10 picks in the 1st is going to require a significant amount of draft capital while going up five spots should much more reasonable.  This is just me speculating of course and watch all five go in the first 10 picks and then the Bears having to gamble on someone like Trask or Newman in the 2nd or 3rd.

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I won't jump to conclusion(s) - yet.  I don't think this stops them from grabbing another guy and not sure how this deal is structured. It just might mean if they get a wilson or someone else that they will need to move Nick Foles as part of that deal and quite frankly - that shouldn't be an issue. It seems like if anything - they wanted to hedge their bets - because - I get it - you can't just assume you'll get Wilson and/or have access to a top flight 1st round pick.

Plus - for all of you who rip on Pace - isn't this what a new GM would have probably done anyway - bring in a bridge QB and start to churn the roster and/or make other decisions - so worse case - Pace doesn't make a big swing at a young QB and or one of the all pro's available - and it is kind of one of those - depending on health/defense/schedule this team will win anywhere from 6 to 10 games.  

YOU HAVE THAT GUY ON THE ROSTER ALREADY. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Fine....then give Seattle 7 first round picks and go get Russ. If you need to win now, I can buy that. 

Andy Dalton is Nick Foles with red hair. You spent draft capital and a bunch of money to sign Foles last year....when Dalton was available. So he wasn't right then, bur this year he's the right fit to go along with Nick Foles? I just don't understand where they think they are going with this move. Where does it take them? 

Bears are in a bad spot to trade for Wilson or Watson.  Limited 1st round picks can be traded (believe it's 3 but someway to make it 4 on draft day) and they have no viable QB to trade back.  Pete Carrol (sp?) is 70, he's not interested I'm sure in a long rebuild.  

No great answers for this team other then to blow it up, wish they started that process this year, but McCaskeys didn't want to pay Nagy and Pace to go away.