NFL 2021 offseason thread

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Compared to his best years in Cindy, the last couple years his Int% has increased by about 66%, his TD% has dropped by 1/3, his yards per attempt last year was the worst of his career, and in 2019 it was as low as it was when he was a rookie. In fact, his stats the last 2-3 years look an awful lot like his rookie year stats.

I didnt' know how much to judge his final year + in CIncy. That team was real bad - across the board.  But like I said - I haven't watched a lot of Dalton over past couple years to go - wow - he really got worse. If so - this is a horrible horrible move, cause at that point he's no different than the others.  

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Even if the Bears think he will be good, what other team was willing to give him $9 million that necessitated the Bears offering $10 million???

Pace never learned from the mistake of his trading up to draft Trubisky.

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, I rather have Trubisky back.

Me too.  Foles or Dalton seem like stiffs that are just gonna get creamed behind this o-line.  Yay, a backfoot throw to the sideline completed for 20 yards.  That’s about all you could hope for in the Foles starts last year.  

Gimme Mitch running around in a Mitch-tailored offense.  Gimme fast guys everywhere.  

18 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, I rather have Trubisky back.

Which player was better in 2020, Dalton or Trubisky, in various stats.

Rating: Trubisky
Completion %: Trubisky
Yards per attempt: Trubisky
Yards per catch: Trubisky
TD %: Trubisky
Int %: Dalton
Sacks: Trubisky

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not to mention Trubisky is 26 and still has a slim chance of getting better. Dalton is 33 and his best days are behind him.

I get that Pace doesn’t want to bring back Mitch and deal with perception of not making changes on offense, but Dalton isn’t going to help him keep his job either, I could guarantee that. What a dumb fucking move.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Does it stop them? No. Is it really weird to do when you already have Foles? Yes. The mentor angle isn’t there. 

It’s only weird if you view Dalton & Foles as being interchangeable, but I can totally see why Pace might not feel that way.  Again, I’m not a huge fan of this move in isolation and obviously it’s a huge letdown vs. a possible Wilson addition, but I will wait and see what the rest of their plan is for the offseason before I totally lose my shit.  As long as they land one of the big QB prospects (which is clearly not a guarantee), I’ll be ok with this move.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s only weird if you view Dalton & Foles as being interchangeable, but I can totally see why Pace might not feel that way.  Again, I’m not a huge fan of this move in isolation and obviously it’s a huge letdown vs. a possible Wilson addition, but I will wait and see what the rest of their plan is for the offseason before I totally lose my shit.  As long as they land one of the big QB prospects (which is clearly not a guarantee), I’ll be ok with this move.

Probably a good call. Based on previous history, this front office absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt....

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This is the cold hard facts - we probably aren't much (if any) better than Mitch and could easily be worse if father time / injuries have caught up to Dalton.  Dalton is a 3 time probowler though, but he isn't a player who makes others around him better.  He can be a solid enough system QB (or at least could).  But that doesn't exactly excite anyone.  

2 hours ago, Tony said:

It doesn’t and absolutely shouldn’t. That’s the point. You should be doing that already with Nick Foles on the roster. 

I don’t understand what you aren’t grasping here. It’s like Nick Foles doesn’t exist on the roster for you. If you want an incredibly average, veteran QB to “bridge the gap” you already have that guy on the team. Why are you spending money on Dalton?  

Because Dalton is likely better than Foles.  If you’re trying to make the playoffs next year with a rookie QB in the mix, I’d rather have Andy for 5 to 6 games as the starter and then as my depth / insurance policy option than Foles.  Personally, I think that’s worth $10M.  Some of you guys are acting like we just signed Mike Glennon to a 3/$45M deal here, when in reality this isn’t a lot of money given how fucked we currently are at the QB position.  And as for Foles, the trade for him last year was a terrible move by Pace, but we don’t have to accept him as a viable option just because he is under contract and has dead cap hit if moved.  He failed last year in this system under this coaching staff and has lost the benefit of doubt going forward.  The focus now becomes who we get in the draft and if Pace doesn’t come out of the draft with one of the top five prospects then he clearly has failed and signing Dalton will prove to be a total waste.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Dalton is likely better than Foles.  If you’re trying to make the playoffs next year with a rookie QB in the mix, I’d rather have Andy for 5 to 6 games as the starter and then as my depth / insurance policy option than Foles.  Personally, I think that’s worth $10M.  Some of you guys are acting like we just signed Mike Glennon to a 3/$45M deal here, when in reality this isn’t a lot of money given how fucked we currently are at the QB position.  And as for Foles, the trade for him last year was a terrible move by Pace, but we don’t have to accept him as a viable option just because he is under contract and has dead cap hit if moved.  He failed last year in this system under this coaching staff and has lost the benefit of doubt going forward.  The focus now becomes who we get in the draft and if Pace doesn’t come out of the draft with one of the top five prospects then he clearly has failed and signing Dalton will prove to be a total waste.

This - but in the court of public opinion - this move basically magnifies how bad the Foles move was.  Reality is it is why all of the fan base is up in arms (and I don't blame them).  But I'm just glad - if this was their panic move - it was a move that doesn't kill future cap space nor cost draft picks.  Like I wanted Winston - but lets say Pace got into a bidding war with the Saints and offered Winston like $30M guaranteed and tied up cap space for the next 3-4 years.  That would have been a far bigger disaster (on paper) - even if I liked the upside of the player more.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Probably a good call. Based on previous history, this front office absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt....

giphy-downsized.gif

I don’t think you realize that I’m complete Pace hater and have zero faith in him.  That being said, I just don’t think giving Andy Dalton $10M is the end of the world IF we draft a QB.  If Wilson or Watson weren’t available, what would you have done exactly?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think you realize that I’m complete Pace hater and have zero faith in him.  That being said, I just don’t think giving Andy Dalton $10M is the end of the world IF we draft a QB.  If Wilson or Watson weren’t available, what would you have done exactly?

If they're drafting a QB (presumably trading up to do so), saving that extra $10 million would be useful to improve the O-Line in front of that QB. Play Foles to start the year until your drafted QB is "ready enough". He's already on the roster, that's a sunk cost.

Dalton will be in the same boat as Glennon before long, not nearly good enough, losing games early in the season, forcing the young guy into action.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But you also aren't grasping that fans are upset, understandably with this premise as well. The plan is now try and "contend for a playoff spot" with Andy Dalton? That's where the Bears and the fanbase is? Sorry, I don't accept that, not after the absolute shitfest we've been witness to the last 40+ years. 

If you want to go all in for Russ/Watson....fine. Most Bears fans are OK with getting crazy for a franchise QB. If you can't acquire either of them.......Andy Dalton does what exactly? It doesn't even matter if you think Dalton is better than Foles......Lets say Foles is a D and Dalton is a C. What does a C level QB get this team in 2021?  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If they're drafting a QB (presumably trading up to do so), saving that extra $10 million would be useful to improve the O-Line in front of that QB. Play Foles to start the year until your drafted QB is "ready enough". He's already on the roster, that's a sunk cost.

Dalton will be in the same boat as Glennon before long, not nearly good enough, losing games early in the season, forcing the young guy into action.

This. They already have an "Andy Dalton type" on the roster. Who they gave up draft capital and money. Why are you giving more to the same guy? Or AT BEST a marginal upgrade? It makes no sense. I don't care if it doesn't impact them long term. It's the same shit, different day. And it shouldn't be accepted. And it's laughable to say "Well lets wait to see what they do the rest of the offseason after the last 2+ years)