NFL 2021 offseason thread

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mitch made his numbers vs. Detroit, Jacksonville, Houston and Minnesota. Put him in Dalton's situation last year, and you would know Dalton is better. Not a lot better. But better.

Dalton's top games were against the NY Giants. Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia. This is the definition of backup QB syndrome - "The guy we have was bad, therefore nameless other QB must be better". 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Bears losing Fuller to go with a pass rush that can't get home.... that doesn't sound like a good recipe.    Fitting for team going Foles/Dalton at QM. 

5-11 season coming and hopefully the last nail in the Pace/Nagy coffin. 

The Bears may need to start exploring trading some of their assets to get some draft picks because the team isn’t going to go very far. Might as well sell some pieces off now and get some value from them. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dalton's top games were against the NY Giants. Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia. This is the definition of backup QB syndrome - "The guy we have was bad, therefore nameless other QB must be better". 

Why are you picking knit about it, he isn't saying Dalton is going to lead us to glory or is sooooo much better than Mitch.  This board knows Dalton isn't the savior.  Dalton has a little bit of a history that shows he has been better than Mitch at one point, and now we get a negligible upgrade.  Yay

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Bears losing Fuller to go with a pass rush that can't get home.... that doesn't sound like a good recipe.    Fitting for team going Foles/Dalton at QM. 

This would be a real bad look.  Unless they trade him and get some value - just cutting him - no bueno.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

At this point - it will be interesting to see what happens with Wilson.  Will he push a deal after this news or what.  Or will this all drag until June when all of a sudden it is easier (cap wise) to trade Wilson.  

That's what I'm interested in. So he is pushing for a trade, the team seems like the price is relatively set, but Seattle says no, and then Russ is like "okay glad I tried "? Still an opportunity for the players to cause the rift here, but I still wouldn't have prioritized getting Dalton over just spreading out some LB/WR depth.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He is better. Not the answer, but better. 

• Like 1

George: "So what is the plan then, why should I keep you?"

Pace/Nagy speaking at same time: "We are going to guarantee the salaries of our most expensive players and release our top cornerback so that we can sign ...

Pro Bowler Andy Dalton!"

George: "PACE YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!"

• Haha 2

This is what it is to be a Bears fan...debating who is better in 2021, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles or Mitch Trubisky. 

In keeping Pace/Nagy, they are going to try and at least be competitive this year. Additionally, odds seem to heavily favor them drafting a QB in Rounds 1 or 2. 

The Bears will probably stink this year. Let’s say 7-9, 6-10. At that point...two choices. Nagy and Pace stay and we continue on with this garbage or they both get fired and they start over. At that point, you have a Ryan Pace picked QB that will be inherited by a new GM, who may or may not be a fan, and at best has to learn another new system under another new head coach. 

In what realistic scenario does this “work” for the Bears? And how in the hell is it possible that Pace gets to draft ANOTHER QB this year?

48 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Bears may need to start exploring trading some of their assets to get some draft picks because the team isn’t going to go very far. Might as well sell some pieces off now and get some value from them. 

Unless Pace has been given some assurance from ownership, he's not going that route.   Nor would I trust that clown to rebuild this thing again. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dalton has more starts in his career than Mitch, so you must be suffering from the same syndrome.

I agree. Andy Dalton was a significantly better NFL Quarterback in 2015 than Mitchell Trubisky. Thankfully, it is still 2015, because starting in 2016 things pretty much went to S*** for about 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is what it is to be a Bears fan...debating who is better in 2021, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles or Mitch Trubisky. 

In keeping Pace/Nagy, they are going to try and at least be competitive this year. Additionally, odds seem to heavily favor them drafting a QB in Rounds 1 or 2. 

The Bears will probably stink this year. Let’s say 7-9, 6-10. At that point...two choices. Nagy and Pace stay and we continue on with this garbage or they both get fired and they start over. At that point, you have a Ryan Pace picked QB that will be inherited by a new GM, who may or may not be a fan, and at best has to learn another new system under another new head coach. 

In what realistic scenario does this “work” for the Bears? And how in the hell is it possible that Pace gets to draft ANOTHER QB this year?

It feels like we've been stuck in this endless loop forever.   We need to get this right at some point :  New GM, Hires his own coach from day 1, works with new coach in deciding who to draft at QB that same year.   I'd be willing to accept a rebuild in this manner.    

It feels like we've been stuck in this endless loop forever.   We need to get this right at some point :  New GM, Hires his own coach from day 1, works with new coach in deciding who to draft at QB that same year.   I'd be willing to accept a rebuild in this manner.    

Really think they've lost me at this point. It's just so pointless. What evidence do we have, even small trace amounts, that this organization, starting with George and Ted, have any idea what they are doing? As you said, it's just the same thing over and over and over and over again. Enough is enough. 

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

So why do you think the Bears will stink? Playing devils advocate - they won 8 games last year, 8 games the year before, and 12 before that - all under Nagy.  I don't know that they got worse yesterday.  Seems like if I were going to bet - I'd say on average they'd probably be pretty close to last year. I can see reasons they would be a bit better (with the defense bouncing back / having Goldman and if they had a good draft that might help too). I could obviously see reasons for a step back - if they had key injuries / players didn't take next steps (Montgomery/Kmet/Mooney/Johnson/etc).  

Now I'm not saying that is great - cause I don't currently see a scenario they are a super bowl caliber team.  But barring a ton of injuries - they also aren't a 4 win team.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So why do you think the Bears will stink? Playing devils advocate - they won 8 games last year, 8 games the year before, and 12 before that - all under Nagy.  I don't know that they got worse yesterday.  Seems like if I were going to bet - I'd say on average they'd probably be pretty close to last year. I can see reasons they would be a bit better (with the defense bouncing back / having Goldman and if they had a good draft that might help too). I could obviously see reasons for a step back - if they had key injuries / players didn't take next steps (Montgomery/Kmet/Mooney/Johnson/etc).  

Now I'm not saying that is great - cause I don't currently see a scenario they are a super bowl caliber team.  But barring a ton of injuries - they also aren't a 4 win team.  

The roster is older and worse than the 8 win teams.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Andy Dalton currently is a fundamentally flawed QB who limits the type of offense you can run. You cannot sit here and tell me how Andy Dalton will open up the field by throwing shorter passes for fewer yards than Trubisky.

Based on what?  I’ve seen Dalton be able to throw the ball downfield with an acceptable level of accuracy for years, whereas Mitch has to failed to his entire professional career.  Again, I will fully acknowledge I didn’t see Dalton play last year, but 2020 was a fucked up year in general and unless you actually saw him play and tell me his arm has completely fallen apart I’m going to defer more to history than his 2020 stat line.  There may very well be legit reasons for him throwing shorter passes (such as a struggling offensive line), while I can tell you for a fact that Mitch can’t throw the long-ball and is unable to read a defense at a NFL caliber level.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Based on what?  I’ve seen Dalton be able to throw the ball downfield with an acceptable level of accuracy for years, whereas Mitch has to failed to his entire professional career.  Again, I will fully acknowledge I didn’t see Dalton play last year, but 2020 was a fucked up year in general and unless you actually saw him play and tell me his arm has completely fallen apart I’m going to defer more to history than his 2020 stat line.  There may very well be legit reasons for him throwing shorter passes (such as a struggling offensive line), while I can tell you for a fact that Mitch can’t throw the long-ball and is unable to read a defense at a NFL caliber level.

Dalton is the choice here because he is a candidate to be signed by a team like the New England Patriots, who will want him to compete in 2021. The problem is that Dalton is just good enough to prevent a “tank” season that results in prime draft capital but not good enough to carry the team back to the postseason. That’s what we call quarterback purgatory, and it can set franchises back for years.

Dalton did show the requisite accuracy and took care of the football for the Dallas Cowboys this past season, but the lack of big-time throws hindered the passing offense. He ranked 32nd in big-time throw rate and completed only 10 passes thrown over 20 yards downfield in 10 games. Dak Prescott completed 15 deep passes in just five games and had more big-time throws than Dalton on the year.

The veteran quarterback finished the 2020 NFL season ranked 23rd among quarterbacks in PFF grade, while the Cowboys' passing offense as a whole finished 23rd in expected points added (EPA) per pass play. And Dalton's inability to push the ball downfield with any consistency was a big reason why.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-nfl-free-agency-riskiest-free-agent-at-every-position

2 hours ago, Tony said:

So let me ask you this. Foles vs. Dalton in 2021, with the Bears drafting a QB in Round 1. 

If the Bears go 7-9 or worse..does Pace and/or Nagy get fired? Because if they do...now you have an entire new regime in place, introducing a new scheme and are inheriting a 1st round QB from a GM that has a TERRIBLE track record of identifying QB talent. 

This is the most Bears thing ever

I would have cleaned house this offseason and not given Pace & Nagy another opportunity, but even with them in place I’d like to see them take a shot a QB prospect because everything else is pointless until we solve that problem.  The Bears have historically underinvested in the position and if they trade up for Jones or Lance and are wrong, then the team will likely struggle and hopefully we have improved draft position at some point to take a crack at another high end prospect.  Again, I will use the Josh Rosen to Kyler Murray example of where a team missed on a high end pick and then used those struggles to land their franchise QB.  But regardless, I do hope Pace & Nagy are gone unless we make the playoffs next year while having a potential long-term QB in the fold.