NFL 2021 offseason thread

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Oh joy - so we kick more money into the future - to sign a guy that Trubisky lit up?  

It's not good right now.  Trufant also struggles to stay healthy.  Not a great pairing when both starting CBs are injury prone.

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe there's still hope that they can work out a trade or long term deal? 

Downgrading from Fuller to Trufant over $4M is just buffoonery of the nth degree. 

I saw something that said a trade might be an option. But all the rumblings are that he's going to head to Denver and join Fangio.  

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe there's still hope that they can work out a trade or long term deal? 

Downgrading from Fuller to Trufant over $4M is just buffoonery of the nth degree. 

Especially when you still are paying Graham what you are.  Back-up TE <<<< Top 10/15 CB (even on a high cap hit).  

43 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Link? 

NO link - I think it was yesterday some twitter said he might still be traded - but I assume if he was it would be for almost nothing.  The Denver stuff was always rumored as a FA type signing and I think they were saying something around 8-10M per year.  

Shefter still thinks theres a strong chance Rus gets traded. I think what has to happen is the Bears 100% have to trade up to set Seattle up to take a QB. 

Would you totally sell out on the draft, trade #20, a 2nd, and a future 2nd to move up to say #10? Then trade #10 and 2 future 1s to Seattle along with Dalton who Seattle apparently likes or liked to be their bridge. 

Essentially thatd be 3 1R and 2 2R....plus maybe a 3rd as well for Rus.

19 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Shefter still thinks theres a strong chance Rus gets traded. I think what has to happen is the Bears 100% have to trade up to set Seattle up to take a QB. 

Would you totally sell out on the draft, trade #20, a 2nd, and a future 2nd to move up to say #10? Then trade #10 and 2 future 1s to Seattle along with Dalton who Seattle apparently likes or liked to be their bridge. 

A week ago - I would say yes - at this point - I don't want Pace doing anything.

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Yeah, I see they're still trying to sucker gullible fans into clicks/likes/RTs/views/ratings.

There's no chance of Wilson coming here, and I think that package as you described it might be less than what Seattle supposedly just turned down.

Either way, EVEN IF by sheer luck and the will of The Almighty,  and IF Seattle lost their damn minds, and IF Wilson would want to come to a decimated shell of a team, youd still have to rely on Ryan Pace to build a team around Wilson. (Without cap space and draft picks to do so.)

I think you just reinforced my view that every day that Pace & Nagy are here is another day further from the inevitable teardown. I think every day they're here just pushes the next competitive window further into the future.

I think the Bears would have been better to fire everyone, & start the firesale THIS offseason.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

20 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think that is the fate of any team without a franchise QB in the NFL. You might have a season here, a season there, where it all works out, but most of the time, you are mediocre at best.

Exactly. What makes all this confusing why an organization cannot even luck its way into a great QB. Through all the years, and all the FO changes, the Bears, time and time again, cannot find even a competent QB to even manage a game in a decent manner. I remember being at a Bears game in 1984, and the team tried a desperation pass into the end zone on the last play. The quarterback threw it five yards over the end line. It was totally frustrating watching a player not even give his team a chance to win. And that's the way it's been with this team for the better part of 100 years.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not surprising in the end. The money would have had to be much worse elsewhere for him to choose Chicago. 

Heard he signed 4/72 with 40M guaranteed. 

Damn - I was hoping with all these wideouts signing smaller deals the Bears might have gotten him. Would have been fun to have 2 real good wideouts + Mooney and Kmet.  That would have been a real nice set of weapons for whomever your QB is.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Damn - I was hoping with all these wideouts signing smaller deals the Bears might have gotten him. Would have been fun to have 2 real good wideouts + Mooney and Kmet.  That would have been a real nice set of weapons for whomever your QB is.  

The bright side is - does this Goladay deal set a clearer market for Robinson.  Feels like the tide might have turned where Robinson and Bears might be able to get into a closer spot.  

39 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not surprising in the end. The money would have had to be much worse elsewhere for him to choose Chicago. 

What in the fuck is the plan here?  I mean, a 1/$12M offer is totally laughable if he really just signed a 4/$72M deal, so not sure how Pace ever thought Golladay would actually accept that.  Either way, Biggs seemed to imply Pace was trying to surround Dalton with some actual weapons.  While we should no doubt draft a WR in this deep class, we definitely need another veteran option if we are actually attempting a Hail Mary and hoping to win next year.  Who else is still available that is even worth a damn at this point?  Would they really sign a 30+ year old AB or TY Hilton type and hope that outweighs the losses on defense?  Man this shit is a mess.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the fuck is the plan here?  I mean, a 1/$12M offer is totally laughable if he really just signed a 4/$72M deal, so not sure how Pace ever thought Golladay would actually accept that.  Either way, Biggs seemed to imply Pace was trying to surround Dalton with some actual weapons.  While we should no doubt draft a WR in this deep class, we definitely need another veteran option if we are actually attempting a Hail Mary and hoping to win next year.  Who else is still available that is even worth a damn at this point?  Would they really sign a 30+ year old AB or TY Hilton type and hope that outweighs the losses on defense?  Man this shit is a mess.

Sammy Watkins is another option. He's been on my radar since I saw the FA list. Robinson would help him if he signs with the Bears. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He is from Chicago. I think if the Bears offered him the same deal they had a shot. 

I am not too upset they lost Fuller. He was definitely overpriced,  but he did show up every week, but like Nagy and the a lot of the Bears defense, he was living off 2018.

Also think they still think they have a shot at Wilson.  Why else would Graham still be on the roster?

Edited by Dick Allen

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They are legit trying to half ass “go for it” by sacrificing defense for offense.  Let’s just hope any damage Pace does is minimal long-term.

They are right now, a worse team today than they were at the end of a mediocre 8-8 season. They are not done cutting salary, so look for Akiem Hicks to be the next cap casualty. 

They will have an aging defense that lost two of their more productive players off the defense. They still only have 1 starting caliber skill position  player on offense. Even if you believe in the interior of the O-line, there is not a starting caliber tackle (on either side) in this roster. And even if the $10MM man at QB surprises us, at 33 years old, how much does Dalton really have left? (And why did they have to pay $10MM? Who did they have to out-bid for him?)

In sum, they should have fired everyone, and blown this thing up instead of bringing Pace and Nagy back. To your point, I believe that every day Pace and Nagy are here will only lengthen the time before this thing can get turned around.

IOW, their mere presence IS causing long-term damage to this organization. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1