NFL 2021 offseason thread

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Maybe a slight overpay. But if fields is a top QB its worth much more than 1 1st. Bears got a little lucky on how the picks fell.

I look at the Bears roster and think they just gave up a top 10 pick, but yeah, Fields could readily have been a top 5 pick so…

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

So is Fields sitting the year under Dalton? Starting week 6? Week 1? Still can't believe we got Fields.

Feel like he's got to see some action one way or another, but I actually like the Dalton move more now, use him as an actual bridge QB. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That basically guarantees Nagy and Pace another year right?

More than a year. This 100% buys them another rebuild IMO, unless the next 18 months are just an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe a slight overpay. But if fields is a top QB its worth much more than 1 1st. Bears got a little lucky on how the picks fell.

100% agree.  Look at what the 49ers gave up for Lance compared to what we had to give up for Fields.  I get the future 1st with the Bears is more attractive than the 49er’s firsts, but outside of that it’s mostly filler.  And we still have our 2nd & 3rd round picks this year and can hopefully get Fields some protection and another weapon.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I look at the Bears roster and think they just gave up a top 10 pick, but yeah, Fields could readily have been a top 5 pick so…

Bears could be bad next year, but they could also easily be mediocre. This year they killed themselves by not losing a few more games. One good thing about no 1st round pick, no incentive to lose.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Feel like he's got to see some action one way or another, but I actually like the Dalton move more now, use him as an actual bridge QB. 

I think they play it slow. Dalton is going to play the Alex Smith role. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Bears could be bad next year, but they could also easily be mediocre. This year they killed themselves by not losing a few more games. One good thing about no 1st round pick, no incentive to lose.

I think they play it slow. Dalton is going to play the Alex Smith role. 

Which I think is the right move 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  Look at what the 49ers gave up for Lance compared to what we had to give up for Fields.  I get the future 1st with the Bears is more attractive than the 49er’s firsts, but outside of that it’s mostly filler.  And we still have our 2nd & 3rd round picks this year and can hopefully get Fields some protection and another weapon.

2 1sts was always going to be the minimum. The rest is nothing. KC did slightly better with Mahomes because they went from 27, but it was still 2 1sts and a 3rd.

People throw the term "overpay" around too much. This was a completely reasonable trade and the price of doing business with 2 top QBs on the board.

(edit)

And people can look back at my history on this board. I have thrashed Pace repeatedly for terrible trades. Trubisky was horrible.

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 2

We know this story people.  

Dalton plays two games terribly, Fields comes in and shows flashes but not ready to win. Bears go 6-10, Matt and Ryan are maturing into their roles with no changes. Fields flames out, Chad Henne will battle him for starting position in 2023, Blaine Gabbert takes over as starter in 2024. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

We know this story people.  

Dalton plays two games terribly, Fields comes in and shows flashes but not ready to win. Bears go 6-10, Matt and Ryan are maturing into their roles with no changes. Fields flames out, Chad Henne will battle him for starting position in 2023, Blaine Gabbert takes over as starter in 2024. 

Ill bet you $100 that Henne or Gabbert never beat Fields out for starting QB on the Bears or any other team. 

I love it. Without looking at the draft pick value chart I was actually surprised how light the return was. I was expecting a 1st and at least a 2nd. If Fields plays well this is absolutely worth it. 

Rus is a sure thing but I think I'd rather roll the dice on Fields if it means giving up 2 less 1st round picks and paying considerably less money.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Ill bet you $100 that Henne or Gabbert never beat Fields out for starting QB on the Bears or any other team. 

It was a joke. But not completely off track if you fill in some other aging dorky QB’s for Henne and Gabbert.  We’ve seen how many times they have failed to develop a quarterback. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't get over the Northwestern and Indiana games from Fields. I just can't. 

Lol, all you talked about was how you knew the bears would take jones since you hate him, they take field and you adjust to same bullshit. Those are two great defenses and Indiana does a lot of difficult coverages, show me when Lance or Wilson saw those.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lol, all you talked about was how you knew the bears would take jones since you hate him, they take field and you adjust to same bullshit. Those are two great defenses and Indiana does a lot of difficult coverages, show me when Lance or Wilson saw those.

The only QB I would have been happy with out of this draft is Lawrence, and that wasn't happening. 

If the Bears stayed at 20 and got Fields I'd have been ok with that. 

I can't help but think they just traded a top 5 pick next year for a guy that probably sucks. 

They just made the Trubisky mistake twice. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, and this was also a messed up season so how much do you really want to take from one game.