NFL 2021 offseason thread

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only QB I would have been happy with out of this draft is Lawrence, and that wasn't happening. 

If the Bears stayed at 20 and got Fields I'd have been ok with that. 

I can't help but think they just traded a top 5 pick next year for a guy that probably sucks. 

They just made the Trubisky mistake twice. 

Holy cow

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I tend to grade QBs very harshly. 

I wouldn't have taken Burrow or Herbert top 10 last year either. 

If you're not a Peyton Manning/Luck/Lawrence type prospect, slam dunk, no brainer at 1-1 I wouldn't take them top 10. 

I’ve got nothing but love for you buddy, but this is just crazy.  You wouldn’t have taken Burrow last year?  In all honesty, you don’t deserve a franchise QB if Manning/Luck/Lawrence are your standards.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you're not a Peyton Manning/Luck/Lawrence type prospect, slam dunk, no brainer at 1-1 I wouldn't take them top 10. 

Here's the thing...if you get a QB in the first round who becomes "quite good", they're practically the most valuable player in the NFL for like 3 years, because a quite good QB on a true free agent contract is enormously expensive. You can make a case that you should draft a first round QB any time you have a reasonable shot at them and trade away any veterans you have because of the expense. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You don't grade them, you prejudge them

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well then your analysis is terrible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Well then your analysis is terrible.

No, NFL teams overdraft QBs every year because of the importance of the position, passing up better players because they have to find that QB. 

Make your board and be true to it. Let other stupid teams overdraft QBs while passing on other premium talent. 

There was a time where one, two or even zero QBs were drafted in the 1st round. The NFL needs to get back to that. 

There was one 1st round QB in this year's class and it was Lawrence. 

My opinion is that 3 of these guys are going to bust, one will be somewhere on the spectrum of average to tier 2, and one will be a star. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here's the thing...if you get a QB in the first round who becomes "quite good", they're practically the most valuable player in the NFL for like 3 years, because a quite good QB on a true free agent contract is enormously expensive. You can make a case that you should draft a first round QB any time you have a reasonable shot at them and trade away any veterans you have because of the expense. 

To go along with this, you dont always get a chance at a QB rated at Fields level. Most years he would have been likely top 5 and taken either been 1) really bad or 2) spending a lot more to trade up. The Bears biggest problem is when they had the chance, they made a terrible mistake and paid for it. 

When you get a chance like this you have to take it. The Bears had nothing at QB and were able to chose between Jones/Fields. They got lucky with how the picks played out. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, NFL teams overdraft QBs every year because of the importance of the position, passing up better players because they have to find that QB. 

Make your board and be true to it. Let other stupid teams overdraft QBs while passing on other premium talent. 

There was a time where one, two or even zero QBs were drafted in the 1st round. The NFL needs to get back to that. 

My opinion is that 3 of these guys are going to bust, one will be somewhere on the spectrum of average to tier 2, and one will be a star. 

To clarify, you'd rather have a few mid rounders and next year's pick in the 20's than a great QB prospect?

Yeah man I hate when my teams have great young talents too. Give me those 4th round ILB's and 6th round pass rushers instead

54 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Trubisky? Just quit posting in this thread. This is the exact opposite of Trubisky. Trubisky was a bench guy who only started 1 year for UNC and wasnt even that good. Joe Burrow couldnt beat out Fields and transferred to LSU because he was going to be the back up. That guy was picked #1 overall last year.

Fields beat Lawrence straight up this year. And Lawrence forced everyone to pick him 1 but there is an argument Fields easily was the 2nd best QB prospect,  you are talking about a player who delivered at an elite level and is deserving of being selected this high. If anything Wilson and Lance are the shiny new Trubiskys and Fields is Watson. 

To be fair Fields transferred because he couldn't beat out Fromme

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

To clarify, you'd rather have a few mid rounders and next year's pick in the 20's than a great QB prospect?

Yeah man I hate when my teams have great young talents too. Give me those 4th round ILB's and 6th round pass rushers instead

I think they traded a top 10 pick next season for Fields. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Fwiw, I still think the Bears gave up a top 10 pick in next years draft.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So basically never invest in the position unless you are the worst team in football the handful of years a can't miss QB prospect is available?  Sounds like a great plan!

10 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Black QB is trending on twitter... that's how inept the Bears have been that's its become an instant meme.

holy shit

lmao can you imagine if we traded up to take Mac Jones and Fields turns out to be good?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

So basically never invest in the position unless you are the worst team in football the handful of years a can't miss QB prospect is available?  Sounds like a great plan!

No, teams need to be very critical of quarterbacks and grade accordingly. Only very special talents at the position should be taken in the 1st round. They need to check all or most of the boxes. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If Fields shows potential to be that franchise guy and its the rest of the team that lays an egg, I'll gladly take it.

I’m not going to say he can’t be Watson and take over the starting job at halftime of game 1, but if I had to guess I would think and perhaps hope that you won’t see much of him next year. The Hurts schedule would sound just fine to me.