NFL 2021 offseason thread

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Trubisky? Just quit posting in this thread. This is the exact opposite of Trubisky. Trubisky was a bench guy who only started 1 year for UNC and wasnt even that good. Joe Burrow couldnt beat out Fields and transferred to LSU because he was going to be the back up. That guy was picked #1 overall last year.

Fields beat Lawrence straight up this year. And Lawrence forced everyone to pick him 1 but there is an argument Fields easily was the 2nd best QB prospect,  you are talking about a player who delivered at an elite level and is deserving of being selected this high. If anything Wilson and Lance are the shiny new Trubiskys and Fields is Watson. 

I am hoping Fields is literally the non-off field issue version of Deshaun Watson.  People over thunk it and he turned into a stud. So fired up....love it.  Curious to see what they do in 2nd - if they try and get an extra pick or two or if they stay where they are at.  Need to still address CB plus Oline & wideout.  

Man - Just love this.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They probably go 7-10 or 8-9 unless everything implodes or Fields turns out to be a stud.

I think they’re worse than that. I see a team where their key players got older, where they downgraded at several positions including most likely QB, and where they have limited up and coming talent because of the draft picks they traded away. And in this league, small differences cost you several games. Unless Fields comes out and is good right away, I’ve been thinking a 5-6 win team.

52 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. I saw the highs(Clemson game) and the lows (Northwestern and Indiana) 

Not only did I see a guy who was late with his throws, but the dude is inaccurate. 

After watching the Northwestern game I didn't think he was a 1st round pick. 

What he did against Clemson didn't change my mind. 

So you know - Fields weakness is maybe he isn't the best reader of the D.  But he was HIGHLY accurate and obviously he is HIGHLY athletic and he's won at the highest level and played a ton.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who has checked all the boxes in the last five drafts?

My opinion is that 0-3 QBs should be drafted in the 1st round. 

Like Mac Jones, Davis Mills and Trask are similar prospects, but one guy is getting overdrafted where the other two are getting slotted appropriately. 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So you know - Fields weakness is maybe he isn't the best reader of the D.  But he was HIGHLY accurate and obviously he is HIGHLY athletic and he's won at the highest level and played a ton.  

Tell me a time when that worked at the NFL level. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fwiw, that’s why I would think the Bears won’t rush him into playing, most likely. The thing he needs to work on is something he can work on.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like Mac Jones, Davis Mills and Trask are similar prospects, but one guy is getting overdrafted where the other two are getting slotted appropriately. 

I’m not sure I bet against Belichick.

It can be learned and it takes time. Mitch just never got it. Fields has issues with blitz and defensive recognition too, but he's basically only played 1.5 years of college football as a starter. He's also a lot more talented than Mitch as a passer and a runner.

Deshaun Watson. Even Mahome's - not a guy that reads the D a ton.  Athleticism matters and a ton.  And is it a real weakness or with more time does he deliver. People said the same thing about Watson - but you know what - he arrived and he's used his athleticism and skill and just MAKES plays.  Either way - YOU WILL NEVER WIN NOT SWINGING AT QBs.  

If it works - Bears arrow skyrockets - if it doesn't - they are drafting another QB in 2023.  Whatever - that is the way things work.  Worse thing they could have done is passed - been in a spot next year where you are in a thin QB draft - so you pass again or trade up (cause a QB will go high no matter what next year) and you do it for a prospect way worse than Fields....or you pass because you don't like the crop and you are picking a QB in '23 again (so the way I see it - this was a total no brainer).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jack - take a break - you've made your point - we disagree - move on.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, teams need to be very critical of quarterbacks and grade accordingly. Only very special talents at the position should be taken in the 1st round. They need to check all or most of the boxes. 

And what box does Fields not check? Great accuracy, great deep ball, team captain, extremely fast.

Wait wait let me guess- he doesn't read defenses!!!

Oh crap that's been disproven over and over now

what else?

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fwiw, I still think the Bears gave up a top 10 pick in next years draft.

They have the same roster coming back minus Fuller + better QB's. They will win 7 or 8 games

EDIT- I see what you're doing here @Balta1701 😅

Edited by soxfan49

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

A lot of guys are transferring now when things dont go their way.

Burrow transferred from OSU to LSU because he couldn't beat Fields.

In retrospect Fields made the smart move.

Also, that’s Georgia that fucked up. They chose the guy that paid his dues, and lost a natty because of it.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think BB is this genius anymore. He lucked into the biggest draft steal of all time, nothing more. 

Dude has built championship caliber defenses over and over again. Constantly had talent around Brady. This past year they had a lot of opt outs and a real bad cap situation. Buffalo has their work to do to hold onto that division from them and Miami.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Also, that’s Georgia that fucked up. They chose the guy that paid his dues, and lost a natty because of it.

So I was coaching my kids little league when my phone was blowing up - the first person I thought of was you - figured somewhere in Chicago you were cheering as loud as I was!!! This is so awesome.  Now lets see Nagy turn into that offensive genius! 

3 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Man would love to get Jenkins, but need an OT badly.  I don’t really care about CB, we’re not a playoff team so let’s get the offense figured out with QB (done), OT and WR.

The run on CBs has left a nice OT board in round 2

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I was coaching my kids little league when my phone was blowing up - the first person I thought of was you - figured somewhere in Chicago you were cheering as loud as I was!!! This is so awesome.  Now lets see Nagy turn into that offensive genius! 

No doubt, had a bunch of wings with my buddies and saw the trade with the bears and lost my mind. Had no doubt. 

9 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

For 2nd thinking Marshall WR from LSU. Possible an OL slides but think theyd be a reach. 

Could see a trade down, maybe try and get 3rd and maybe a pick next year.

Jenkins or Cosmi would be great, but I think they go fairly quickly.

I would have been happy with either at 20. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

For 2nd thinking Marshall WR from LSU. Possible an OL slides but think theyd be a reach. 

Could see a trade down, maybe try and get 3rd and maybe a pick next year.

I'm totally down with Marshall - I think if it were me - I'd move down and see if I can get an extra 4th plus a decent 3rd - and than stack oline/wideout (with the depth we should be able to get 1 good one each) plus target DB.  I might even add a 2nd olineman/wideout.