NFL 2021 offseason thread

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm totally down with Marshall - I think if it were me - I'd move down and see if I can get an extra 4th plus a decent 3rd - and than stack oline/wideout (with the depth we should be able to get 1 good one each) plus target DB.  I might even add a 2nd olineman/wideout.  

At minimum you can get this year 3 + 4 next year, maybe even better if a team really wants someone.

Reason Id go WR if Marshall is because it will give him experience for when Fields takes over. But I always like getting more picks when you can.

Edited by Soxbadger

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I’m Pace, I’m hoping that one of Eichenberg, Marshall, or Moore is there at #52.  If not, I’m looking to trade down and grab more picks.

Moore isnt big enough, they need a bigger one for more balance. I think Eichenberg will be gone unfortunately.

Probably by the time they pick there wont be anyone I care too much about and ill want them to move down.

• Like 1

I like that Pace took a swing at a position they historically do not take many swings at. I want to read more scouting reports about Fields before I have more of an opinion. If his athleticism can make up for his weakness for not recognizing defenses and he only gets better at that with time, I’ll be happy.

But I also am concerned about how Pace tends to pony up draft picks like there is no tomorrow, even though I know this was the price of doing business especially after we saw what the 49ers had to pay. I am hoping that Fields turns out to be better than most of the quarterbacks taken in the draft and that Bears fans can finally move on from the quarterback position because they found a franchise quarterback.

They need to address CB, OT and WR next and I hope they address CB first given the lack of depth or ability at the position as it stands right now.

4 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

LOL 

I want to see a roster with Fields, Dalton, Foles, and another QB all active the same week now. Put Fields and Dalton and Robinson out as wide receivers and the 4th QB in the backfield and do a Chicago special that somehow involves 6 backward passes between them before someone finally throws it downfield too Robinson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Beast said:

I like that Pace took a swing at a position they historically do not take many swings at. I want to read more scouting reports about Fields before I have more of an opinion. If his athleticism can make up for his weakness for not recognizing defenses and he only gets better at that with time, I’ll be happy.

But I also am concerned about how Pace tends to pony up draft picks like there is no tomorrow, even though I know this was the price of doing business especially after we saw what the 49ers had to pay. I am hoping that Fields turns out to be better than most of the quarterbacks taken in the draft and that Bears fans can finally move on from the quarterback position because they found a franchise quarterback.

They need to address CB, OT and WR next and I hope they address CB first given the lack of depth or ability at the position as it stands right now.

Well, the answer right now is to do the best you can developing Fields this year, and this years win total doesn’t really matter. A young starting QB leaves the Bears in a pretty good cap position next year to add pieces to those positions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I feel like the Bears always picking the wrong QB and Ohio State never putting out good NFL qbs is the perfect storm and will actually work.  Its science.

Looking forward to the Fields vs Love era in NFC North football. 

Do you think Rodgers is out?  Or is this year two of the five year divorce?  I can't tell

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you think Rodgers is out?  Or is this year two of the five year divorce?  I can't tell

I can't tell either, although them not trading him yesterday makes me think its more of the year two of the divorce. 

I think if he stays its going to be because the Packers give him a big deal and that probably means Love is gone at some point.  Rodgers doesn't do anything on accident, so all that stuff coming out was planned, but if Rodgers really wanted out, he could have gone live on tv last night and said I'm not playing there anymore.  I think he was trying to embarrass them.

Also, not trying to be a homer, but the Packers roster is loaded with talent, he would be crazy to not run it out at least one more time.  Thats what I always thought would happen.

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I can't tell either, although them not trading him yesterday makes me think its more of the year two of the divorce. 

I think if he stays its going to be because the Packers give him a big deal and that probably means Love is gone at some point.  Rodgers doesn't do anything on accident, so all that stuff coming out was planned, but if Rodgers really wanted out, he could have gone live on tv last night and said I'm not playing there anymore.  I think he was trying to embarrass them.

Also, not trying to be a homer, but the Packers roster is loaded with talent, he would be crazy to not run it out at least one more time.  Thats what I always thought would happen.

When the report about Rodgers came out yesterday I immediately thought "it must be draft day" 😂 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

When the report about Rodgers came out yesterday I immediately thought "it must be draft day" 😂 

I finished a big school paper yesterday and was like ok lets have a see whats going on with the draft.....

2 minutes ago, bigruss said:

They'd be complaining about us not trading up for Fields if we didn't anyways.  

One guy just called and said he has never beat any good teams and Ohio State makes sure they only play bad teams.  Opened the call citing Britney Spears "oops....I did it again"

epic

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

One guy just called and said he has never beat any good teams and Ohio State makes sure they only play bad teams.  Opened the call citing Britney Spears "oops....I did it again"

epic

I'm sure he thought that was the most clever thing ever as well...god I hate callers on sports radio.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

epic

Let me guess, same person probably thinks Trevor Lawrence was awesome on a great team 

Really hope either the Jenkins or the ND tackle is there. I really think for cap purposes Lenos gotta be replaced.

If one of em aren't there, there are a lot of corners I'd go after before I took a WR. I know Robinson MIGHT be gone after this year, but for this year I like what they can do at the WR spot, especially if they explore deploying Cohen out of the slot a lot more. Goodwin, when healthy, should be out there if even only to stretch the field.

8 hours ago, The Beast said:

I like that Pace took a swing at a position they historically do not take many swings at. 

Ok, so just since Cutler, this GM took the following shots:

1. Was the only GM who believed that Mike Glennon was a starting-caliber QB (and paid him more than Cutler would have made),

2. Moronically took a shot at Trubksky,

3. Took a shot at giving up a draft pick, for the rights to overpay Nick Foles,

4. Overpaid for Dalton to the tune of $10MM (helping to fuck up the salary cap, & ushering Fuller out the door), 

5. And now this with Fields.

I'd say that they take plenty of shots at QB. They simply take stoopid shots at QB, because Pace is a stoopid human being. I dont mind this move, so much as I hate that a garden variety mediocrity like Pace gets chance after chance to prove how wrong he can be.

If any of us were as bad at our jobs as Pace and Nagy are at theirs, we'd all be on fucking food stamps. Some of us would be in jail.

That said, here's hoping Fields can beat the odds, and be a Pace-acquired QB that can be adequate at football. We'll have to see.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

20 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, so just since Cutler, this GM took the following shots:

1. Was the only GM who believed that Mike Glennon was a starting-caliber QB (and paid him more than Cutler would have made),

2. Moronically took a shot at Trubksky,

3. Took a shot at giving up a draft pick, for the rights to overpay Nick Foles,

4. Overpaid for Dalton to the tune of $10MM (helping to fuck up the salary cap, & ushering Fuller out the door), 

5. And now this with Fields.

I'd say that they take plenty of shots at QB. They simply take stoopid shots at QB, because Pace is a stoopid human being. I dont mind this move, so much as I hate that a garden variety mediocrity like Pace gets chance after chance to prove how wrong he can be.

If any of us were as bad at our jobs as Pace and Nagy are at theirs, we'd all be on fucking food stamps. Some of us would be in jail.

That said, here's hoping Fields can beat the odds, and be a Pace-acquired QB that can be adequate at football. We'll have to see.

I count 1 drafted QB in that list. The rest were bandaids to try to hold the position together.

If you want. New regime because that one QB busted…I don’t disagree. But what move would the next GM be doing? Probably exactly this move.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I count 1 drafted QB in that list. The rest were bandaids to try to hold the position together.

If you want. New regime because that one QB busted…I don’t disagree. But what move would the next GM be doing? Probably exactly this move.

Yeah. The other poster to whom I replied posted, "take a shot," not ,"drafted." (Shrugs)

It isn't just "one QB drafted" that leads me to want regime change. Its the fact that they've been bad at their jobs for years, leading to bad teams each season. Leading to fall/winter sucking out loud for we the fans.

I look forward to regime change, because this regime has been embarrassingly incompetent. I doubt that this move will work out, because every single one of the preceding QBs acquired has sucked out loud. Because Pace is a garden variety mediocrity. That said, as a fan I hope Fields beats the odds.

As an aside, the NFL's front offices lag those of MLB and the NBA, in terms of being led by highly-educated and highly-qualified GMs and Team Presidents. Ryan Pace has a (snicker) marketing degree from EIU. (Im not meaning to impugn EIU, just that as a chief executive, he may not be as prepared as other with more schooling, IMO.) Which can help explain why stoopid decisions keep happening by his FO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete