NFL 2021 offseason thread

2 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I guess.  Jackson worked (although he sucked last year). Mitch, Miller, Floyd did not.  Big misses considering the importance and round those picks were made in. 

Their conviction sucks and the team is not as good as it could be because of all of the failed draft trades.  They had to do it but If Fields doesn’t pan out, it will be another devastating blow to their future. 

I agree there have been misses and I gave long said Pace needs to be more balanced in when he goes up vs down. That said - he has drafted as good as anyone outside of the first round. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree there have been misses and I gave long said Pace needs to be more balanced in when he goes up vs down. That said - he has drafted as good as anyone outside of the first round. 

Jenkins was one of the few guys I was ok trading up for, I think he's an instant starter and will be a stud.  We needed a certainty on the OL in this draft and they got it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

Uh, a RB?  Why not secondary or WR help?

For sixth/seventh, I think they actually did a good job getting guys who will make roster. All sixths should be easy special teamers with upside for roles.

Jaime Newman going undrafted shocks me, but what do I know. At one point he was looked at as a really good prospect. 

I doubt he'd wanna sign on here but I wouldn't mind picking him up and hoping to stash him on the practice squad. 

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

For sixth/seventh, I think they actually did a good job getting guys who will make roster. All sixths should be easy special teamers with upside for roles.

I liked what I heard about Herbert but would have preferred a lottery ticket on a WR, oh well.  Overall I think it was a good draft.

So fired up - Fields has so much upside. I heard a former gm on radio today - said he was being asked by so many why fields was falling on boards (media perception). Said he talked to scouts for multiple teams - who apparently said whose boards - cause he was the clear #2 qb on their boards and they weren’t moving any of the other guys with helium up. 

I think Fields at 11 could be the steal of the draft in a few years and if it isn’t - oh well. Go big or go home at qb. 

Let’s go! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Lotta lineman for bears in UDFA, which I'm not too surprised by.

Just looking at their DBs though: last year they did grab johnson, vindor. They signed burns and trufant. Shelly I think is depth. Then it's like...nobody I'd say is more than fodder. Michael Joseph, etc.

So Graham actually has a lot of pressure to work. Him being productive, fundamentally strong, limited athletically makes sense on that front. But you'd hope June 1 brings out some options for depth.

On other front - Bears seem very confident in Jenkins and LT. At the very least it seems they feel Leno needs to feel some pressure - so maybe last year they felt he didn't come ready or wasn't as checked in. If Jenkins can be a real LT that is huge. But we'll file that under draft day talk for now.

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lotta lineman for bears in UDFA, which I'm not too surprised by.

Just looking at their DBs though: last year they did grab johnson, vindor. They signed burns and trufant. Shelly I think is depth. Then it's like...nobody I'd say is more than fodder. Michael Joseph, etc.

So Graham actually has a lot of pressure to work. Him being productive, fundamentally strong, limited athletically makes sense on that front. But you'd hope June 1 brings out some options for depth.

On other front - Bears seem very confident in Jenkins and LT. At the very least it seems they feel Leno needs to feel some pressure - so maybe last year they felt he didn't come ready or wasn't as checked in. If Jenkins can be a real LT that is huge. But we'll file that under draft day talk for now.

Don’t the bears have that cfl db that got a big contract (by cfl) standards who got hurt last year in camp. 

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Don’t the bears have that cfl db that got a big contract (by cfl) standards who got hurt last year in camp. 

Yeah Roberson, not sure what to make of him.

Still can’t believe bears got Fields. Absolutely crazy.

• Love 2

So I just saw the story about how Fields is epileptic and his diagnosis was revealed during the pre-draft interviews.

As an person with epilepsy, it's kind of cool having a potential face of the franchise soar to incredible heights despite that. There is also, of course, the part of me that wonders if that is why he slipped. It wouldn't shock me if that was a classic case of GM overthink.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed all the content this weekend.

I see both sides with Jenkins, love the talent, worry about missing that extra likely cheap contributor in losing the third. Will be very interested in seeing if the bears are right about LT, but I think I'd prefer him be at his most impactful. Same with Whitehair/Daniels, Whitehair looked much better at Guard, but maybe he's better than mustipher at C? Not enough for me. But is Jenkins going to be so much better than Leno at LT that Jenkins/Ifedi as tackles is better than Leno/Jenkins? I'd be surprised, but now we have a fun competition. That line definitely needed some dudes to push them.

I think at this point, you keep Anthony Miller. Cohen as slot receiver will be back in a big way this year, but probably worth it to try it and make it work. T

So your healthy receivers feature a lot of Robinson/Mooney/Cohen with Goodwin/Miller behind. 

Defensively, the dback group really has some wild cards with Roberson/Burns but that is wishing on a star. June 1 will be interesting, where will bears find money, who can they get, etc.

On the line, I do have some hopes on improvement here. Nichols played out of position all last year, we have Goldman back and legit depth with Tonga for that role. Their scouts have found guys contribute before, so I hope like hell that attaouchu and blackson are those guys. 

Just some thoughts.

But really I just keep watching Fields highlights over and over. 

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

holy smokes, bears just released leno. They better be right about jenkins.

Is he designed June cut or did they just do it immediately?  I guess at one of the press conferences over the weekend - Pace basically completely ignored a question on Leno...I guess we know why.  This could also mean Bears are looking at adding a vet like Fisher or someone else too.  I presume Nagy is pretty familiar with him.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is he designed June cut or did they just do it immediately?  I guess at one of the press conferences over the weekend - Pace basically completely ignored a question on Leno...I guess we know why.  This could also mean Bears are looking at adding a vet like Fisher or someone else too.  I presume Nagy is pretty familiar with him.  

not sure yet but would be really dumb if not June 1, that saves 9 million.

Bears with Justin Fields:

- We have 3 former QBs as coaches that will be hands on, and two long-time NFL starters to mentor him and let him slowly get up to speed.

Bears with Teven Jenkins:

- Hello we are going to play you in a different position and cut our only other option so you must succeed thank you