NFL 2021 offseason thread

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

not sure yet but would be really dumb if not June 1, that saves 9 million.

Bears with Justin Fields:

- We have 3 former QBs as coaches that will be hands on, and two long-time NFL starters to mentor him and let him slowly get up to speed.

Bears with Teven Jenkins:

- Hello we are going to play you in a different position and cut our only other option so you must succeed thank you

I presume this is more - we are invested in Jenkins and at the same time done investing any more in Leno. I presume we see them bring in a bridge guy / depth free agent, but right now - in this case, I think Bears are saying - we want to give you every chance to show us you can be our LT.  

With Leno - best thing I could always say about him was - he was an excellent 7th round pick, he largely was on the field (pretty healthy in general) and he was okay.  He wasn't great - nor was he ever going to be, but more often than not he was okay.  That "okay" started to go on the downside 2 years ago and he's just too penalty prone with no upside left. 

Felt this was the Bears saying - I'm not investing in this now.  Quite frankly - the person at biggest risk for this rush is Dalton, who will live with some of the first handful of week growing pains from Tevin. Lets hope Bears got it right with Tevin. I also suspect Bears plan to run the ball more - and Leno was usually pretty crappy at best as a run blocker.  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Doesn't sound like it based on Leno saying thank you and good bye to fans

Didn't see that. Never was happy with his play but he seemed like a really good guy.

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Didn't see that. Never was happy with his play but he seemed like a really good guy.

Yeah - he was a good dude and a great value pick who quite honestly got as much as he could out of his god given ability (IMO).  

On 5/3/2021 at 11:54 AM, bmags said:

Bears with Justin Fields:

- We have 3 former QBs as coaches that will be hands on, and two long-time NFL starters to mentor him and let him slowly get up to speed.

Bears with Teven Jenkins:

- Hello we are going to play you in a different position and cut our only other option so you must succeed thank you

Meh, I'm OK with bringing Fields along slower; NFL QB is the most important and hardest position to play in all of professional sports. The list of rookie QBs that started right away/almost right away, and failed is long. [See Trubisky.]

By contrast, there are/have been a number of rookie OTs that were successful despite starting right away. I'm OK with starting Jenkins right away.

That said, having salary cap casualties of productive players is the residual effect of poor cap management, poor asset allocation, constantly trading up in drafts, and having to re-do positional acquisitions over and over. Fuller and Leno probably won't be the last cap casualties off this roster. 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Passing along - but this was a good piece from Hoge (free)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/hoges-10-bears-things-unlikely-steal-justin-fields

The thing I hate about these things is it says it cost the Bears two first round picks to get him.  They traded a first round pick for another first round pick.  I know it is petty but I hate that narrative.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The thing I hate about these things is it says it cost the Bears two first round picks to get him.  They traded a first round pick for another first round pick.  I know it is petty but I hate that narrative.

I agree - that is the way I think about it. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

It always drives me nuts. I don't think Hoge did it in this way at all (that column was a lot of fun), but it always seems like when people are trying to make a draft day trade seem bad they frame it as "they traded two firsts, a fifth and a fourth!" but when they like the trade it's always "they only needed to trade a third to move up!".

The Borom stuff is interesting. Missouri did have surprisingly good pass protection and Eli Drinkowitz put together a pretty decent offense in the SEC, but I didn't think they had a 5th round talent. But he was an nfl sized tackle, he was actually an oversized tackle. So that seems like a total scouts pick, maybe he was a favorite for technique or something at missouri, but when they saw he was at a 320 playing weight he flew up the boards. It will be a fun story line to watch. I'd add that missouri does do a pretty fun zone run scheme but not sure how similar it was to the bears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Ok I will admit it I don’t understand what you are saying here. The Bears traded their 2021 first round pick and their 2022 first round pick (plus scraps and swaps) to get Fields. To me it seems like saying they traded two first rounders for this player (or two first round picks for the #11 pick) is the most accurate and clear way to say it.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok I will admit it I don’t understand what you are saying here. The Bears traded their 2021 first round pick and their 2022 first round pick (plus scraps and swaps) to get Fields. To me it seems like saying they traded two first rounders for this player (or two first round picks for the #11 pick) is the most accurate and clear way to say it.

But they received one first round pick (the one they used to draft Fields)  so net they only traded one. To be accurate they traded this year's and next year's first round picks (along with the smaller picks) for one first round pick this year.

Only psychos would say the bears traded two first round picks for Justin Fields. Every normal person would process that as the same trade as what the 49ers did. "The bears traded next years first to move up from 20 to 11" is the way people talk about draft moves. Nobody would think "wow so they didn't trade this year first? They drafted at 20 too!? 

Nobody would do that.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Because this is an instance where you can say something that is factual but it's also misleading. 

The Bears traded two first round picks (along with a sixth and a third) for Khalil Mack. We all agree on that. Fair to classify as that. That was the cost to acquire that player from the Raiders. 

The Bears traded a 2022 1st round pick, a 4th and 5th round pick.....and the 20th pick for the 11th pick. A swap of first round picks for positioning shouldn't be classified as simply trading a first round pick. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Only psychos would say the bears traded two first round picks for Justin Fields. Every normal person would process that as the same trade as what the 49ers did. "The bears traded next years first to move up from 20 to 11" is the way people talk about draft moves. Nobody would think "wow so they didn't trade this year first? They drafted at 20 too!? 

Nobody would do that.

I agree.

21 hours ago, bmags said:

Nobody would do that.

They talk about the 49ers having traded three 1st rounders, not two. Which is also incorrect. They traded two 1sts (22 and 23) to move from 12 to 3. They got one 1st round pick back in the deal, so idk why they talk about it as having traded "3 1s" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They talk about the 9ers having traded three 1st rounders, not two. 

That's because most thought it was an overpay and the media is all about creating controversy so they want it to be as dramatic as possible.

Edited by ptatc

I wouldn't say the Bears "traded" two first round picks for Fields, but it does make some sense to say they used two first round picks to get Fields. Which is fine, because he's a highly graded talent, it wasn't some too-smart-for-its-own-good overreach, and if it works out it'll be a bargin.

13 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I’m a lifelong Bears fan, yet I always liked Rodgers (and Favre). Both are great players. I’m jealous of the success GB has had with them.

That said, both have revealed themselves to be huge douchebags.

Rodgers may have some legit grievances with the team, my biggest issue with him is that he lets other people speak for him.  Like come out and say this stuff yourself.  Say what you want about the Packers, but we have heard from all the people in charge over the past week and they have been very clear.

Favre's problem is that he never shuts up. 

19 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Schefter went on Dan Patrick.

Admitted he had ZERO sources.
Admitted that someone was going to report that Rodgers wanted out of Green Bay 'sooner or later'.
Admitted that he released it on Draft Day on purpose.
https://danpatrick.com/2021/05/06/adam-schefter-on-timing-of-aaron-rodgers-report/

His source is probably Rodgers himself and he can't say.

So - I just want to say - I am still so fired up for Fields.  But the last time I feel like a team got this much love for a draft pick, I vaguely recall the Packers drafting Rodgers as getting pretty hyped (to the good) and than I also recall the Browns trading back up and getting Brady Quinn being a move people loved at the time that well...didn't go so hot.

But man - this is a guy that kicked butt at the highest level, dealt with all the expectations that come with playing for OSU, and always delivered. Lots of experience playing, fantastic athlete.  Feels so much like Deshaun Watson and others where people see too much of a guy they over fixate themselves on the negatives.  

Man - please let this be the Bears finally finding that franchise guy!!! 

• Like 1