NFL 2021 offseason thread

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

The Bears may need to start exploring trading some of their assets to get some draft picks because the team isn’t going to go very far. Might as well sell some pieces off now and get some value from them. 

The moment they missed out on Wilson they should have kicked off a rebuild, but the reality is Pace & Nagy aren’t going to do that.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not sure why people are shocked that one of the worst GMs is making bad decisions. I guess the silver lining is that had he gotten Wilson he probably stays as GM, now maybe we can move on next year. 

This is definitely the silver lining...until he trades up for Mac Jones who leads the Bears down the stretch to a playoff spot resulting in extensions for everyone!

1 hour ago, Tony said:

This is what it is to be a Bears fan...debating who is better in 2021, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles or Mitch Trubisky. 

In keeping Pace/Nagy, they are going to try and at least be competitive this year. Additionally, odds seem to heavily favor them drafting a QB in Rounds 1 or 2. 

The Bears will probably stink this year. Let’s say 7-9, 6-10. At that point...two choices. Nagy and Pace stay and we continue on with this garbage or they both get fired and they start over. At that point, you have a Ryan Pace picked QB that will be inherited by a new GM, who may or may not be a fan, and at best has to learn another new system under another new head coach. 

In what realistic scenario does this “work” for the Bears? And how in the hell is it possible that Pace gets to draft ANOTHER QB this year?

We all know the answer to this question and it’s George McCaskey.

46 minutes ago, knightni said:

So, Nick Foles and top a OT/WR/CB; or Mac Jones/Kyle Trask and lower line/secondary help?

My ideal outcome is to trade up for Jones or Lance using a pick from next year’s draft, while taking a OT in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.  I know the WR talent in this draft is super deep and I believe there is a decent amount of talent at tackle to get a fairly good prospect at #52.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

So why do you think the Bears will stink? Playing devils advocate - they won 8 games last year, 8 games the year before, and 12 before that - all under Nagy.  I don't know that they got worse yesterday.  Seems like if I were going to bet - I'd say on average they'd probably be pretty close to last year. I can see reasons they would be a bit better (with the defense bouncing back / having Goldman and if they had a good draft that might help too). I could obviously see reasons for a step back - if they had key injuries / players didn't take next steps (Montgomery/Kmet/Mooney/Johnson/etc).  

Now I'm not saying that is great - cause I don't currently see a scenario they are a super bowl caliber team.  But barring a ton of injuries - they also aren't a 4 win team.  

Because this isn’t a “young” roster and I don’t see many key players taking big steps forward...if anything I see them taking steps backwards (Mack, Hicks, etc). 

I also think Dalton/Foles are going to get DESTROYED behind a very bad O-Line. I mean, we all knew 5-1 was an absolute mirage last season. We were waiting for the shoe to drop..and it did when they went 3-7 to end the year, and look awful in the Playoff game they snuck into it. 

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because this isn’t a “young” roster and I don’t see many key players taking big steps forward...if anything I see them taking steps backwards (Mack, Hicks, etc). 

I also think Dalton/Foles are going to get DESTROYED behind a very bad O-Line. I mean, we all knew 5-1 was an absolute mirage last season. We were waiting for the shoe to drop..and it did when they went 3-7 to end the year, and look awful in the Playoff game they snuck into it. 

Now to your point - from a PR perspective - for Pace to make this move was kind of crazy.  He would have been better just waiting a number of months to see how other things played out and at that point - if he needed to panic - than hit the panic button and get a guy like Dalton.  But maybe in June we all are saying Pace is a genius and he ends up dealing Wilson for a similar package - but for future 1st round picks and we have an upgraded oline and quite frankly ended up getting Wilson for less than they were to offer today (because his market shrank).  

Who knows - I won't hold my breath on it though - and if this was the route they were going to go - I would have much preferred moving on from Pace/Nagy - which to a point you made earlier - does Pace have a lot more freedom/job security than we think.  The problem is - if he doesn't have that job security - his options are just to narrow and therefor Bears ownership has put team in too hindered of a spot.

That said - 2 months ago - I don't think anyone would have said Watson/Wilson would have been on the market - so a Dalton type and a potential trade-up probably would have been what most people would have guessed and that might still be exactly how things go down. 

Note: Wentz was really the best choice. Their reluctance to grab him because of his preference to go with Colts is something they will regret. He was available - had real upside and the overall cost was very affordable.  They could have got Wentz - upgraded the line and skill positions - and kept an above average defense.  

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My ideal outcome is to trade up for Jones or Lance using a pick from next year’s draft, while taking a OT in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.  I know the WR talent in this draft is super deep and I believe there is a decent amount of talent at tackle to get a fairly good prospect at #52.

I'm not sure that the Bears can get up into top 10 - for Lance - without sacrificing too much.

I can see Jones being at #20, though.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Bears did upgrade from Trubisky. Dalton had a market. Other teams had some interest. Maybe not $10 million worth. Mitch is standing around and doesn't seem to have a market. 

Remember how last year the Bears jumped in early to get Foles, paid a draft pick price and took on a lot of salary because they needed something, then months later Newton signed a piddling deal with the Patriots after having no market, and then even though he wasn't great he was clearly better than Foles?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If this happens 🤦‍♂

It is this - that is why Pace should be out.  If this happens - it is because he spent money on Graham, Foles and Quinn a year ago - and the cost of that is a top 10 NFL CB who is paid at a fair deal.  That is just one view - it is also the fact that we are now stuck with Foles this year and weren't able to resolve the Arob situation / forced ourselves into spending $20M on cap space on 2 QB's noen of which can ever be anything better than mediocre.  

That is awful.  

• Like 1

I honestly think Bears should just be in a holding pattern and still just keep eyes on one of these two franchise QBs being available. As we can see, there is no real moving the needle much this year with the salary cap the way it is. Maybe a surprise tackle becomes available and you give it a shot. Otherwise it's guys left on the merry-go-round and biding time and hoping that the QBs make it so painful their teams acquisce and the bears still can make it happen. That's the only franchise altering move out there.

Maybe trading A-rob for a 1st/high second in hopes of packaging for a QB or just having an extra pick. 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Now to your point - from a PR perspective - for Pace to make this move was kind of crazy.  He would have been better just waiting a number of months to see how other things played out and at that point - if he needed to panic - than hit the panic button and get a guy like Dalton.  But maybe in June we all are saying Pace is a genius and he ends up dealing Wilson for a similar package - but for future 1st round picks and we have an upgraded oline and quite frankly ended up getting Wilson for less than they were to offer today (because his market shrank).  

Who knows - I won't hold my breath on it though - and if this was the route they were going to go - I would have much preferred moving on from Pace/Nagy - which to a point you made earlier - does Pace have a lot more freedom/job security than we think.  The problem is - if he doesn't have that job security - his options are just to narrow and therefor Bears ownership has put team in too hindered of a spot.

That said - 2 months ago - I don't think anyone would have said Watson/Wilson would have been on the market - so a Dalton type and a potential trade-up probably would have been what most people would have guessed and that might still be exactly how things go down. 

Note: Wentz was really the best choice. Their reluctance to grab him because of his preference to go with Colts is something they will regret. He was available - had real upside and the overall cost was very affordable.  They could have got Wentz - upgraded the line and skill positions - and kept an above average defense.  

I agree with a lot of those points. I don't know why I'm so frustrated because I'm not even a "die-hard" Bears fan but I'm around the Chicago sports scene so much it's hard to avoid. 

I'm not going to keep repeating myself, I just can't believe how they backed themselves in this corner. The only way this gets fixed (and I guess realistically it's always been the only way) is finding a franchise QB you can build around. If we all agree on that.........Pace should NOT be able to pick the next one. Full stop. 

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Whats sad is I could totally see Dalton having the best season of any Bears QB ever if they can keep him protected. 

What has been wrong with AJ Green? Just old? A Robinson/Green/Mooney/Kmet/Graham/Cohen receiving group could be pretty fun and Green should come cheap. 

Snag an OT in round 1, take a chance on Trask/Newman in RD 2. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

AJ Green isn't much better than any mid-level vet receiver you could name, unfortunately. A shell of himself.

Green signing 1/$8 million deal with the Cardinals. 

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Remember how last year the Bears jumped in early to get Foles, paid a draft pick price and took on a lot of salary because they needed something, then months later Newton signed a piddling deal with the Patriots after having no market, and then even though he wasn't great he was clearly better than Foles?

Foles was a Matt Nagy production. Cam Newton wasn't as good as Andy Dalton in 2020. There were rumors the Bears were going after the Red Rocket last season. 

this is a different year. The only free agent QB left on the market you would even consider advertising as a starter is Alex Smith.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is this - that is why Pace should be out.  If this happens - it is because he spent money on Graham, Foles and Quinn a year ago - and the cost of that is a top 10 NFL CB who is paid at a fair deal.  That is just one view - it is also the fact that we are now stuck with Foles this year and weren't able to resolve the Arob situation / forced ourselves into spending $20M on cap space on 2 QB's noen of which can ever be anything better than mediocre.  

That is awful.  

Fully agree.  Adding Dalton for $10M only made sense if we could keep the core of the defense in place and still find a way to plug our big holes on offense with serviceable and/or interesting young players.  The upgrade that Dalton is over Foles is definitely not worth weakening our secondary to this extent.  No idea what Pace is fucking thinking if this actually materializes.