NFL 2021 offseason thread

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was going to say - they better figure that out...cause being forced to cut / trade Fuller in such short order would have been such a lack of planning. I'm okay if they decide to move Fuller via trade and get a 3rd and a future pick or something...just like I am 100% okay if they trade Robinson and sign a different wideout. Quite frankly both of those would be moves that potentially enhance the teams future (even if there was a near term hit) as well as add extra flexibility.  

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Of those, I would want Patterson, Gipson, Mingo, Urban, maybe Houston-Carson and Scales back. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was going to say - they better figure that out...cause being forced to cut / trade Fuller in such short order would have been such a lack of planning. I'm okay if they decide to move Fuller via trade and get a 3rd and a future pick or something...just like I am 100% okay if they trade Robinson and sign a different wideout. Quite frankly both of those would be moves that potentially enhance the teams future (even if there was a near term hit) as well as add extra flexibility.  

I still want to know how they did it and what they have left to spend.

Evidently Macks & Hicks were the 2 players the Bears were going to trade along with the picks for Wilson.  I have no idea how they could have made that work cap wise.  At this point - if they were willing to trade Mack than - If I were the Bears - I would still be pretty aggressively looking at that option.  Seems like Hicks and Fuller still very likely to get moved as well.  

I think only reason they are fine on cap space is they probably have a few guys who they signed but haven't actually signed.  That is a pretty damn aggressive offer by Pace.  I can't see another team going to that extent.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Evidently Macks & Hicks were the 2 players the Bears were going to trade along with the picks for Wilson.  I have no idea how they could have made that work cap wise.  At this point - if they were willing to trade Mack than - If I were the Bears - I would still be pretty aggressively looking at that option.  Seems like Hicks and Fuller still very likely to get moved as well.  

I think only reason they are fine on cap space is they probably have a few guys who they signed but haven't actually signed.  That is a pretty damn aggressive offer by Pace.  I can't see another team going to that extent.  

If they made that trade, what is left on this roster to compete still?

I'm not saying don't make that trade still, but man we'd be gutted everywhere but qb.

9 minutes ago, bigruss said:

If they made that trade, what is left on this roster to compete still?

I'm not saying don't make that trade still, but man we'd be gutted everywhere but qb.

OTOH a lot of cap would open up starting the next year.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

They didn't need to make it work cap wise. Seattle was never going to trade Wilson, the Bears knew that, but they made that ridiculous offer so when we get all pissed off about Andy Dalton they can come back and talk about how hard they tried to get Wilson.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

They were talking on the radio about this and pointed out the Seattle defense was better than the Bears and Seattle had no interest in taking on any of the Bears players.  Smith will get expensive, Johnson has a history of not being able to stay on the field and Hicks and Mack don't interest teams at their salaries.

The Bears dumped draft picks and money on their defense and now wonder why their offense stinks.  As great as Roquan Smith is, he does not move the needle like an edge rusher, OT or skill player.

The bears can try and move Fuller but at that price tag they are not getting back more than a mid round pick and cap relief that will be used to sign a lesstalented player than Fuller. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

They were talking on the radio about this and pointed out the Seattle defense was better than the Bears and Seattle had no interest in taking on any of the Bears players.  Smith will get expensive, Johnson has a history of not being able to stay on the field and Hicks and Mack don't interest teams at their salaries.

The Bears dumped draft picks and money on their defense and now wonder why their offense stinks.  As great as Roquan Smith is, he does not move the needle like an edge rusher, OT or skill player.

The bears can try and move Fuller but at that price tag they are not getting back more than a mid round pick and cap relief that will be used to sign a lesstalented player than Fuller. 

They would have had interest but the cost was a franchise QB, Hicks and Mack are great players, every team would want them if the decision was simply a football decision. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Of course

We are literally seeing deja vu from a year ago - Pace ended up panicking - vs. waiting on the market and / or striking.  My guess is Dalton > Mariota - but Mariota probably has a bit more upside (although injuries really did hurt him).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

We are literally seeing deja vu from a year ago - Pace ended up panicking - vs. waiting on the market and / or striking.  My guess is Dalton > Mariota - but Mariota probably has a bit more upside (although injuries really did hurt him).  

Mariota has much more upside and could theoretically end up pulling a Tannehill.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mariota has much more upside and could theoretically end up pulling a Tannehill.

I highly doubt that - but I will still bite that he has more upside because he's still young so a switch could flip. I'd actually say if I were a neutral team - and had a choice between Dalton, Trubisky, and Mariota - I would sign Trubisky.  The Bears obviously are not a neutral team - cause they already had Trubisky.  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And mariota could enter a free agency where most of the cap is swallowed up vs. bears going after dalton at height of competitive bidding.