NFL 2021 offseason thread

By the way - put this in the worthless post column - but was talking to a coworker today who is a die-hard Cowboy fan - and he actually said he thought Dalton was pretty solid and that the Cowboys really hindered him.  Just talked about how bad the Cowboys oline was (not that Bears is great) and obviously Zeke was a mess last year. But while he doesn't think Dalton is stellar - he thought Bears fans are probably overreacting and he's much better than we thought.   

Gil Brandt also had some nice things to say about Dalton.  Feels like Bears are just going to focus on putting other quality pieces around him and maybe do some other retooling.  I guess that isn't the end of the world - have a great draft - dont' mortgage the future - and see what a year from now brings....potentially with a whole new staff.  

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So do I need a seperate package or as long as I have ESPN+ I am good?  

Guessing it will be how they handle UFC PPVs, have to have ESPN+ then you pay on top of that.  I watch a ton of UFC so I already have ESPN+ for the regular cards and just pay for the PPVs I want. 

I'm guessing they'll offer a package to reduce the $4.99 a month for ESPN+

Cutting Fuller is just stupid. If you're trying to still compete (hence why they got Dalton in the first place), why would you cut your best CB when you have almost zero CB depth? It's just unbelievably dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sorry @Chisoxfn but if you’re hoping for a playoff team in 2021.....good luck. 

I’ve already said at this point - they have messed up. They have dropped the ball big time. Essentially pace waited too long on Wilson (which I guess I understand) and than forced himself into a real tight corner where he couldn’t maximize assets. 

If pace knew he had to move Fuller - he could have started that market 2 weeks ago. Maybe he did but couldn’t move him because everything hinged on Wilson. 

The good news to me is - the new gm will still be in a better spot cause fuller wasn’t helping 3 years from now and Hicks the same. So whomever takes over next year will have a tradeable Mack - all of his draft picks - and what will likely be a pretty advantageous cap position by time he gets into year 2. 

And if they hit on a rookie qb this year - all the better - they will be in an even better cap spot. 

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bye Kyle! Hope Andy was worth it!

Ryan Pace is a complete fucking joke...I apologize to the board for even remotely trying to justify the Dalton signing as I should have seen something like this happening as a result.  Good fucking god is George McCaskey totally clueless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Cutting Fuller is just stupid. If you're trying to still compete (hence why they got Dalton in the first place), why would you cut your best CB when you have almost zero CB depth? It's just unbelievably dumb. 

It’s so fucking dumb...like so dumb that any competent team president would fire Pace on the spot, but unfortunately we have an accountant overseeing football operations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s so fucking dumb...like so dumb that any competent team president would fire Pace on the spot, but unfortunately we have an accountant overseeing football operations.

Just look at the amount of useless contracts that we kept instead of Fuller...Graham, Foles, Quinn. All guys Pace got last year and gave us almost no production. 

Ok so serious question - they didn’t do this yesterday, so that means they were under the cap yesterday by the deadline right? So literally this release is related to the 2021 cap? Meaning they are literally spending his money on Dalton? Is that right? 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Ok so serious question - they didn’t do this yesterday, so that means they were under the cap yesterday by the deadline right? So literally this release is related to the 2021 cap? Meaning they are literally spending his money on Dalton? Is that right? 

Yes. Reality is they should have been able to extend Fuller - but Fuller might have just wanted to go somewhere else. So this might not all be Pace's doing - but either way - it was all of the moves that he made and just ineffective use of cap that got him to this spot.  

The good news is the Bears have a combo of Andy Dalton and Nick Foles at QB, not to mention Ryan Pace might trade up in the draft, again, to find the next QB for the Bears. 

Get excited, Chicago!

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They knew they were releasing Hicks and Fuller. They HAD to know that. So for the 8,576th time....WHAT ARE YOU SIGNING ANDY DALTON FOR?!?

47 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Cutting Fuller and losing Hicks (if it happens)  puts this defense close to bottom 3rd in the league.  The Defense was the only thing artificially keeping this team above mediocrity during this Pace/Nagy era.    This might be a blessing to hopefully suck enough to finally dump these two clowns.  Yes, 2 seasons too late.   And yes, the same Circus Ownership gets to make another hire.   But obviously this current football operations regime is a complete joke. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

They knew they were releasing Hicks and Fuller. They HAD to know that. So for the 8,576th time....WHAT ARE YOU SIGNING ANDY DALTON FOR?!?

What would you have done?  This is not me defending Pace - I'm curious what you would have done?  Again - the premise here is you are Ryan Pace - so you couldn't just blow it up - so you are essentially under the directive of get into the playoffs to keep your job and/or find a franchise QB.  

Was McCaskey really a genius - and he realized - they basically had a year of purgatory to go through anyway - and thus they wanted to safe costs and put Pace in that chair - with the only real way out being an ability to snag a big time QB (but that would have required obviously an ownership approval to prevent a pure selling of the farm).  

If Andy Dalton was going to cause you to break down your D - this team had far bigger issues anyway and/or didn't show enough foresight out there.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

What would you have done?  This is not me defending Pace - I'm curious what you would have done?  Again - the premise here is you are Ryan Pace - so you couldn't just blow it up - so you are essentially under the directive of get into the playoffs to keep your job and/or find a franchise QB.  

No no no. And this is what I don’t understand Jason. Hear me out. 

Let’s go back to Monday. Nick Foles is currently the only “starting QB” on the roster. Almost everyone is in agreement they have to draft a QB in Round 1 or Round 2. So....that’s two QB’s in Foles and the rookie. At that point...there are two ways you can go in my eyes. 

1. Trade the farm for Russ or Watson, your draft capital is gone for like 5 years but you have a franchise QB. You get crazy with the cap, do whatever you can do to win in the next 5 years.

2. You can’t acquire an established star QB. At that point, I stick to the plan of drafting a QB in the 2021 Draft, and Nick Foles is my Opening Day starter. It’s very rare these days for QB’s to be drafted in the first round and not play the year they were drafted. Just doesn’t really happen anyone, outside of Love and Mahomes. So if/when Foles goes down, it’s time for Trey Lance or Mac Jones. Additionally, if you are rebuilding, then start taking the cap hits now. Cut Hicks. Cut Fuller. Bottom out. Get a high draft pick this season. Stop picking 18th. Start over. Hit on the QB you are drafting this year and next year draft an LT at No. 5 or something. Build around this new QB. 

This is why I don’t understand what they are doing. They had to know Fuller and Hicks were going to be cut/traded. Those are not “winning” moves those are “We’re taking a step backwards next year, we need to sort of reset here.” Fine...I’m cool with that. But then why are you “in theory” upgrading your QB position with a 33 year old Andy Dalton when you have a 32 year old Nick Foles on the roster, who’s cap hit is upside down and you can’t cut? Why are you trying to get better at QB and a lot worse on D? What are we doing here?

• Thanks 1