NFL 2021 offseason thread

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

What would you have done?  This is not me defending Pace - I'm curious what you would have done?  Again - the premise here is you are Ryan Pace - so you couldn't just blow it up - so you are essentially under the directive of get into the playoffs to keep your job and/or find a franchise QB.  

Was McCaskey really a genius - and he realized - they basically had a year of purgatory to go through anyway - and thus they wanted to safe costs and put Pace in that chair - with the only real way out being an ability to snag a big time QB (but that would have required obviously an ownership approval to prevent a pure selling of the farm).  

If Andy Dalton was going to cause you to break down your D - this team had far bigger issues anyway and/or didn't show enough foresight out there.  

If I were Ryan pace I'd retire with my many millions out of shame and never be seen in public again

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

No no no. And this is what I don’t understand Jason. Hear me out. 

Let’s go back to Monday. Nick Foles is currently the only “starting QB” on the roster. Almost everyone is in agreement they have to draft a QB in Round 1 or Round 2. So....that’s two QB’s in Foles and the rookie. At that point...there are two ways you can go in my eyes. 

1. Trade the farm for Russ or Watson, your draft capital is gone for like 5 years but you have a franchise QB. You get crazy with the cap, do whatever you can do to win in the next 5 years.

2. You can’t acquire an established star QB. At that point, I stick to the plan of drafting a QB in the 2021 Draft, and Nick Foles is my Opening Day starter. It’s very rare these days for QB’s to be drafted in the first round and not play the year they were drafted. Just doesn’t really happen anyone, outside of Love and Mahomes. So if/when Foles goes down, it’s time for Trey Lance or Mac Jones. Additionally, if you are rebuilding, then start taking the cap hits now. Cut Hicks. Cut Fuller. Bottom out. Get a high draft pick this season. Stop picking 18th. Start over. Hit on the QB you are drafting this year and next year draft an LT at No. 5 or something. Build around this new QB. 

This is why I don’t understand what they are doing. They had to know Fuller and Hicks were going to be cut/traded. Those are not “winning” moves those are “We’re taking a step backwards next year, we need to sort of reset here.” Fine...I’m cool with that. But then why are you “in theory” upgrading your QB position with a 33 year old Andy Dalton when you have a 32 year old Nick Foles on the roster, who’s cap hit is upside down and you can’t cut? Why are you trying to get better at QB and a lot worse on D? What are we doing here?

So - I 110% agree with everything you said.  That said - I don't know that the part where you say - draft a young QB and than start trading away defenders really lines up to where Pace has been positioned where he needs to win now.  

The saving grace to me (as a Bear fan) is signing Andy Dalton doesn't dramatically impact your #2 scenario - other than I might win 1-2 more games. And scenario #2 is still pretty dependent on giving up draft capital - cause another alternative would be basically having Dalton as a guy who at least is good enough to enable solid talent evaluation of your skill position players while focus on turning things in the draft and accumulating capital to make a QB move a year from now (when maybe you are in a better overall position).  

At this point - I almost feel the organization's best path is the minor reset - pass on QB (unless one falls to you) - figure you'll end up closer to a 5 win team - but you have a QB who is good enough to allow you to keep evaluating Kmet, Mooney, Montgomery (mabye even develop a new wideout you draft) + you will end up with a good draft pick in a year - and through some trades likely will have more draft capital in the future while potentially having a better younger core/oline around that can grow into a new QB (whether via draft or something else). And cap wise - you also should be in a good spot where you went from having a collar around your neck to a nice hawaain shirt that gives you room to breathe and maneuver.  

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

First round pick in 2021 and in 2022 for the #9 pick.

I have no problem with that - although my preference would be to leverage Mack/Robinson to move up.   Overall - my tune would change if I could trade Robinson for a tackle (or pick(s) and than flipped mack for some more and than drafted a young QB and drafted another olinemen early, signed a FA wideout, and essentially just said - you know what - our defense is going to be challenged - but we are going to build an offense (or attempt to). 

At this point - the above is exactly what I would want to happen. And if they couldn't get the QB - take Trask / Mond in 3rd round and hope he can become a backup (at worse) than get a few more foundational building blocks (oline / wideout / another DB) - at very least - it means Pace turns the org over to a new GM in a pretty good place (vs. a barren place).  Don't get me wrong - there would be work to do - but the GM would hopefully have some solid young building blocks, cap space, and draft capital.  

And in the above scenario - especially one where you don't actually take a QB in 1st round - having Dalton actually is pretty decent - because he's good enough that you can still evaluate your skill position players, etc., but he's not so good that he's going to magically carry you to 8 wins (unless you did a whole lot of other stuff right).  

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Just look at the amount of useless contracts that we kept instead of Fuller...Graham, Foles, Quinn. All guys Pace got last year and gave us almost no production. 

So very true.  Add CB1 to the list of critical draft needs along with QB, OT, & WR.  Luckily Pace has done a stellar job accumulating draft capital over the years so filling all these holes with starting caliber talent should be a piece of cake!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Watch to the end

I’m not going to lie - that guy is me: you may not be able to tell from some of my posts the last day or so - but that is me. 

I am trying to find silver lining for how they can pivot and look smart - but it is really hard. I am the type that can turn lemons into lemonade in almost any situation.

I literally have to do that for a living - when something zags - you pivot your strategy realign and optimize your path. 

But it feels like pace has just kept driving himself into a bigger and bigger ditch. 

• Like 1

So I am going to make a prediction - we are about to see the bears blow up the defense. Well it already started - but watch Eddie Jackson, Mack and Hicks all go next. 

They are still pursuing Golladay too - so I still think that means they might move Robinson. 

Are we about to see some major investments in oline and offensive skill positions plus another draft pick or two on new dbs and maybe some later free agent buys once market has died down a bit. 

I am starting to think Nagy and Pace are saying - look we won’t build a playoff team McCaskey - but let us show you we can build an offense. Or maybe Nagy is saying - Pace - don’t let me go down with people saying I can’t run an offense - give me some horses and let me lose a bunch of games 40-30. 

1 minute ago, 102605 said:

They better not trade ANY first rounders from 2022 or 2023 because this team is going to suck so fucking bad once Pace gets done with this offseason they may end up picking in the top 3.....AGAIN

I agree - at this point I feel the only way I allow pace to trade any future 1st rounders is if it is for Wilson or Watson. If he wants to move up for a QB this year - and I am okay with it - he has to use current year draft capital and / or players. 

I also would be looking to move Roquan if someone would give us something good for him. Goes back to I don’t want cap space tied up to guys at non premium positions. And roquan was awesome last year - but I’d deal 20 and Roquan for Mac Jones/Lance/Fields. Draft an online man in 2nd, and weapons for young qb later on. Almost ignore the d and just build an offensive foundation. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m starting to be terrified this might be accurate and not because it’s the wrong plan, but it means the wrong people will be executing it.

https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1372733080587354117?s=20

I think you are right - I think Pace was green lit to tear this thing down after they couldn’t get Wilson. On one hand - this is the right thing to do - on the other hand - not often a gm gets to do it twice. But directionally - as long as pace is building capital and not trading it away - I’ll be a happy camper. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think you are right - I think Pace was green lit to tear this thing down after they couldn’t get Wilson. On one hand - this is the right thing to do - on the other hand - not often a gm gets to do it twice. But directionally - as long as pace is building capital and not trading it away - I’ll be a happy camper. 

The problem is if he has the green-light to tear this thing down then the odds are he will get to see it through.  And giving Pace a second chance could be disastrous for the franchise.  I’d rather see him try some half-assed “go for it” plan that ultimately gets him fired in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I am going to make a prediction - we are about to see the bears blow up the defense. Well it already started - but watch Eddie Jackson, Mack and Hicks all go next. 

They are still pursuing Golladay too - so I still think that means they might move Robinson. 

Are we about to see some major investments in oline and offensive skill positions plus another draft pick or two on new dbs and maybe some later free agent buys once market has died down a bit. 

I am starting to think Nagy and Pace are saying - look we won’t build a playoff team McCaskey - but let us show you we can build an offense. Or maybe Nagy is saying - Pace - don’t let me go down with people saying I can’t run an offense - give me some horses and let me lose a bunch of games 40-30. 

Yeah, Bears ain't scoring 30 ppg with Foles / Dalton leading the way.    

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Here is an option if they draft a qb in round 2/3. Tons of physical tools - not a ton of game tape and some concerns over his knee. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-scout-stanford-qb-davis-mills-pro-day-andy-dalton-introduced

A QB prospect with only 11 starts in college. Where have I seen this before...?

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

A QB prospect with only 11 starts in college. Where have I seen this before...?

Eh don’t worry about that, Ace. This is the Bears. They’ll coach him up, it’s called DEVELOPMENT. They’ll get him into Halas, turn him into an NFL QB in short order. Have some faith in these guys........

😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Mills is the only later round QB I find interesting. I doubt he’ll be good but he has crazy tools.

I think every QB6 and later is suddenly referred to as a 2/3 rounder. I’d be surprised, I think Trask will find a taker but Mond on I would expect 4th round and later.

You are either a potential starter on your first contract or 4th rounder or later

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mills is the only later round QB I find interesting. I doubt he’ll be good but he has crazy tools.

I think every QB6 and later is suddenly referred to as a 2/3 rounder. I’d be surprised, I think Trask will find a taker but Mond on I would expect 4th round and later.

You are either a potential starter on your first contract or 4th rounder or later

I don’t see Jamie Newman slipping past the 3rd