NFL 2021 offseason thread

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am guessing we see Foles traded today - think he is due a roster bonus. Also Bears still trying to trade Fuller. I’d feel much better if they end up getting a pick for each - even if it is a crappy pick. 

(Snicker) Trade Nick Foles? To whom? For what, exactly? There are better players available for free, or if you really need to make a trade, there are other QBs that will be available that are better than him.

But, I admire the positivity on your part, sir.

I am all for listening to victims, but these Watson lawsuits seem like quite the pile on. Now there are 16. No one came forward, now 16. Just doesn't seem realistic to me.  Probably the saddest thing is if a couple of these are true, if there are several that are all BS, it will make the true ones look like BS.

Edited by Dick Allen

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am all for listening to victims, but these Watson lawsuits seem like quite the pile on. Now there are 16. No one came forward, now 16. Just doesn't seem realistic to me.  Probably the saddest thing is if a couple of these are true, if there are several that are all BS, it will make the true ones look like BS.

The only thing that is still making me feel it is suspect is there is no criminal charges or police reports, all of this is civil suits.   Supposedly this happened as recently as last month, why haven't any of them gone to the police?  They said four days ago that they were submitting evidence to Houston police but it seems like they still have not.

it's all very very weird and you have the extra added layer that this lawyer was neighbors with the McNair family and is known for pulling lawyer stunts

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The only thing that is still making me feel it is suspect is there is no criminal charges or police reports, all of this is civil suits.   Supposedly this happened as recently as last month, why haven't any of them gone to the police?  They said four days ago that they were submitting evidence to Houston police but it seems like they still have not.

it's all very very weird and you have the extra added layer that this lawyer was neighbors with the McNair family and is known for pulling lawyer stunts

Dude, (probably immigrant) women from Houston area massage parlors don’t go to the police when the local star QB does anything less than murder them. How many of them would get deported if they didn’t have a job? Especially not when the world has gone insane and they’d have no shot at a new job. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude, (probably immigrant) women from Houston area massage parlors don’t go to the police when the local star QB does anything less than murder them. How many of them would get deported if they didn’t have a job? Especially not when the world has gone insane and they’d have no shot at a new job. 

Dude they haven't reported it yet, still.  You sure they are all immigrants?

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Dude they haven't reported it yet, still.  You sure they are all immigrants?

No I’m not, but the power dynamics are still the same. Their families might be if they aren’t.

The only reason you heard about this at all was Buzbee probably went out looking for something he could use to hurt Watson and got a group of women to go on the record with this. I’d bet folding money that a few weeks ago Watson’s side was told to drop the holdout or this comes out. Could he have fabricated the cases and found women willing to sign on? Sure. That’s for a court to determine. But there’s nothing suspicious whatsoever about these women hesitating to come forward against a local star QB.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I’m not, but the power dynamics are still the same. Their families might be if they aren’t.

The only reason you heard about this at all was Buzbee probably went out looking for something he could use to hurt Watson and got a group of women to go on the record with this. I’d bet folding money that a few weeks ago Watson’s side was told to drop the holdout or this comes out. Could he have fabricated the cases and found women willing to sign on? Sure. That’s for a court to determine. But there’s nothing suspicious whatsoever about these women hesitating to come forward against a local star QB.

Ok balta 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They all supposedly met him through Instagram, so there is reason to believe none are immigrants working in massage parlors, making money giving handys. 

I have no dog in this fight, all I'm saying is there is a lot of really weird circumstances around it.  If he is proven to be a serial sex offender he needs to get charged criminally and personally

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have no dog in this fight, all I'm saying is there is a lot of really weird circumstances around it.  If he is proven to be a serial sex offender he needs to get charged criminally and personally

Absolutely. I am also with you thinking something seems a little off about this one. If he did assault all these women, lock him up. But a few BSers will take the whole thing down.

I also don't want to be that guy that thinks women in massage parlors can't get assualted, because obviously they can. And obviously not everyone working in one is working their dream job, many are there against their own will.  

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

oh joy

I'm thinking of the end of the movie "Funny Farm" when Chevy Chase tells the town that they all plan on staying because they love it so much, and the town starts booing and throwing things at them

So Biggs said he doesn't think the Bears will draft a QB early. Basically hinted that McCaskey would greenligth someone like Russel Wilson - but probably wont' give Pace the ammo to move up and take a big swing at a QB in the draft.  I suppose that doesn't mean he doesn't draft a Jones (if he were to fall) - but maybe Pace is just going to draft a wideout/lineman/young DB in first 3 rounds and essentially keep his picks, hope he drafts well and puts a better nucleus around and can take a bite at the QB apple again in a year?  Or just uses a later round pick on a Kyle Trask.  

Trask is a tough one for me - dude is highly accurate, but ok arm / mediocre athlete...that said he threw times all over the field...with the only exception being that bowl game where he was a mess without his top 4 weapons.  Are people overlooking that game or is he one of those guys whose acccuracy ends up making him a much better pro...it isn't like Rivers had a great arm/athleticism.  

Nothing about the above is exciting - but nothing about the above really sets the franchise back a ton - other than they probably end up with a 10-15 overall pick - but if they hit on the draft - at least you have put decent parts around and maybe a new front office has a shot at taking another swing at a young QB and can move some other pieces + the team should be in a much healthier cap position (both with the cap jumping and with some dead money coming off their books).

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

So Biggs said he doesn't think the Bears will draft a QB early. Basically hinted that McCaskey would greenligth someone like Russel Wilson - but probably wont' give Pace the ammo to move up and take a big swing at a QB in the draft.  I suppose that doesn't mean he doesn't draft a Jones (if he were to fall) - but maybe Pace is just going to draft a wideout/lineman/young DB in first 3 rounds and essentially keep his picks, hope he drafts well and puts a better nucleus around and can take a bite at the QB apple again in a year?  Or just uses a later round pick on a Kyle Trask.  

Trask is a tough one for me - dude is highly accurate, but ok arm / mediocre athlete...that said he threw times all over the field...with the only exception being that bowl game where he was a mess without his top 4 weapons.  Are people overlooking that game or is he one of those guys whose acccuracy ends up making him a much better pro...it isn't like Rivers had a great arm/athleticism.  

Nothing about the above is exciting - but nothing about the above really sets the franchise back a ton - other than they probably end up with a 10-15 overall pick - but if they hit on the draft - at least you have put decent parts around and maybe a new front office has a shot at taking another swing at a young QB and can move some other pieces + the team should be in a much healthier cap position (both with the cap jumping and with some dead money coming off their books).

I like all the top 5 qbs despite I'm sure 3 of them probably being terrible, but after that I like Davis Mills and Mond. Trask does nothing for me, personally.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like all the top 5 qbs despite I'm sure 3 of them probably being terrible, but after that I like Davis Mills and Mond. Trask does nothing for me, personally.

I think Trask has a pretty good floor - he will be a long time back-up in this league.  Mills intrigues...for whatever reason never saw it with Mond.  Too much mediocre play on film.  

Like you - I just take any of the top 5 and hope they pan out.  I figure there is so much luck that goes into it that margin of error is high anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Trask has a pretty good floor - he will be a long time back-up in this league.  Mills intrigues...for whatever reason never saw it with Mond.  Too much mediocre play on film.  

Like you - I just take any of the top 5 and hope they pan out.  I figure there is so much luck that goes into it that margin of error is high anyway.  

Mond's highlights are just full of him sitting behind a perfect pocket throwing to an open receiver, but that said, he has a lot of tools that makes you think he could do more, and I like that he got better every year in the SEC. 

I 'd just rather they get a guy with some higher ceiling with athleticism or arm talent, but then again, the later round guys that have made hay out of it like Dak or Cousins were probably more like a Trask than someone like Mills who I can't think of someone like that really doing much. But it only takes one for there to be a comp that everyone tries to replicate.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mond's highlights are just full of him sitting behind a perfect pocket throwing to an open receiver, but that said, he has a lot of tools that makes you think he could do more, and I like that he got better every year in the SEC. 

I 'd just rather they get a guy with some higher ceiling with athleticism or arm talent, but then again, the later round guys that have made hay out of it like Dak or Cousins were probably more like a Trask than someone like Mills who I can't think of someone like that really doing much. But it only takes one for there to be a comp that everyone tries to replicate.

Yeah - that is why I like Trask. I think of the guys that have made it later - they were pretty sharp, highly accurate type of QB's.  Trask seems to fit that bill and his lack of athleticism is holding him back....but not critical to being a solid QB.  It isn't like anyone would ever look at Drew Brees and think he was a master athlete...but he threw dimes all over the place....same for Phil (although he was a big dude).  Trask feels a bit to me like the guy who slides.

The inverse is - I can't think of a lot of toolsy later round picks that turned it on.  I am sure I'm forgetting someone but I can't think of it.  Those guys usually are 1st round picks or they just aren't that good. I never thought Mond really dominated like he should have given his athleticism and talent he had around him...which makes me real nervous.  

Lamar is the only guy that really comes to mind - and that was more questions around whether he could be enough of a passer and how his body would hold up to the pounding.  But he still was a 1st round pick...albeit late...who made a ton of people look stupid :)

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is Nagy isn't going to be able to develop a lower round QB. But they should take one. Maybe the next guy can. 

In some ways I actually feel bad for Nagy - it feels like he almost pretty quickly recognized that Mitch wasn't his guy - now he's had to basically be asked which scrapheap would you prefer.  You could say he had a choice - but its not like his choices were that great.  He has had his own issues - but I still think he's a pretty decent overall head coach and I don't know yet whether I could say he's good or terrible at developing QB's.  I know Mitch was okay - and I don't know that Mitch would ever be more than that.  I also know Nagy was pretty involved in Mahomes early development - not sure what if any impact his involvement had vs. Andy Reid or just Mahomes being amazing. I'm sure most of it is Mahomes being amazing but I can't discount that.  

Pace has really done no favors for Nagy - he's had no line and minimal weapons most years. I don't know how much Nagy has been on board with all the moves or what - they seem pretty aligned - but I don't know that Nagy really could have told Pace much different on Mitch (at least not until the year he fell down).