NFL 2021 offseason thread

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can't tell what is what at this point. I can't see how Washington passes on a QB....but really the key is the Broncos / Pats need to address QB via trade (Bridgewater / Jimmy G).  If that is the direction those franchise go - than I legitimately see shot for the Bears...but do Lions/Eagles bite on a QB or someone else we aren't thinking...i don't know.  

Would be truly amazing to see Falson, Pats, Broncos all stand down on QB.  No other teams jump up - which basically leaves Bears / Skins.  I'll be honest - if I am Pace - I still think I'd move up and go secure the go at some point (vs. hoping they fall to 20).  

For Fields, I'm good with trading up with a future first.  I just don't think we can afford to trade capital from this draft to go up, OT and WR are way to big of needs to not get some stars.

27 minutes ago, bigruss said:

For Fields, I'm good with trading up with a future first.  I just don't think we can afford to trade capital from this draft to go up, OT and WR are way to big of needs to not get some stars.

I think there's a very substantial chance that if the Bears trade away next years' first round pick, they're trading away a top 10 pick. 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

YES

Things lining up well. If we are staring at a top 4 with Lance AND fields available bears should go for it. Maybe seek a safe landing at vikes 14 spot first, then jump from there.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Ownership and management isn’t going to allow it and even if they did I don’t trust Pace to draft a QB anyways. 

I don't think this is true, they kept these guys on. Ted Phillips has not shown himself to do anything other than rubber stamp stuff like that.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think this is true, they kept these guys on. Ted Phillips has not shown himself to do anything other than rubber stamp stuff like that.

You may be right. I may have misread an article somewhere talking about this. Anyways, if they approved something like that, would you still trust Pace with drafting another QB? That’s the question.

1 hour ago, bigruss said:

Frustrating but in reality us getting Fields would be a minor miracle.

It would be a major miracle. But if NE scoffs at 4, I do think bears should go all out.

See if teams like LAC or MN would trade to #20 for this years 2nd. Then to move from 6/7/8 is more palatable to trade out team, they pick up a future first and 2022 third like the eagles trade

3 hours ago, bmags said:

It would be a major miracle. But if NE scoffs at 4, I do think bears should go all out.

See if teams like LAC or MN would trade to #20 for this years 2nd. Then to move from 6/7/8 is more palatable to trade out team, they pick up a future first and 2022 third like the eagles trade

Just take Mond in the 2nd round and be done with it. 

Different rumor floating that Pats are working on a new deal with Jimmy G - potentially opening up / leading to a draft day deal with the Niners.  Please...pretty please :).  Could the Pats trade up be smokescreen to maximize what they get from Niners - obviously inverse is also true - but I'd imagine teams know you got Bears at a minimum in play to aggressively move up - so presume more reasons for Pats to use trade-up talks to increase leverage with Niners (kind of a now or never to get anything for Jimmy G).  

From someone on twitter named "Dale Arnold".  No clue if reputable or not.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Different rumor floating that Pats are working on a new deal with Jimmy G - potentially opening up / leading to a draft day deal with the Niners.  Please...pretty please :).  Could the Pats trade up be smokescreen to maximize what they get from Niners - obviously inverse is also true - but I'd imagine teams know you got Bears at a minimum in play to aggressively move up - so presume more reasons for Pats to use trade-up talks to increase leverage with Niners (kind of a now or never to get anything for Jimmy G).  

From someone on twitter named "Dale Arnold".  No clue if reputable or not.  

Mark Lazerus and Pierre LeBrun follow him. He's a guy on the Bruins broadcasts. Seems legit. Idk why a hockey guy would have football information but he works for NESN. 

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mark Lazerus and Pierre LeBrun follow him. He's a guy on the Bruins broadcasts. Seems legit. Idk why a hockey guy would have football information but he works for NESN. 

Supposedly he was one of the first to break the Brady to Bucs news - so maybe he is connected.  This would leave the Bears & Washington Football team as the 2 most logical destinations (presuming Falcons, Lions, Eagles and no other random surprises - which is always possible).  

If the 49ers select Mac Jones, it’s going to be very interesting to see what happens between picks 4 & 7.  My guess is ATL takes Pitts, CIN takes Chase, & MIA takes Waddle or Smith.  Those are elite talents that will be hard to pass up, although I could see MIA trying to trade down a few spots and grabbing whichever Bama WR is left.  Either way, the Lions are the huge wild card and will have a ton of power if they want accumulate additional draft capital.  If the board shakes out this way, they’d have their choice of the best OT in Sewell, Waddle or Smith at WR, or could simply trade down for a haul.  Given that this draft is loaded at both OT & WR, trading down makes a ton of sense for them, but they’re going to want a huge return if they’re passing on elite talents at positions of need.

With CAR & DEN both theoretically threats to draft QBs at #8 & #9, trading up for the #7 pick really seems like the sweet spot if you want your choice of Fields or Lance.  What would that cost the Bears though?  Is #20 & #83 plus a 2022 1st & 3rd enough for the Lions to trade within the division?  Would NE or WFT actually offer more than that?  Given what the 49ers paid to move up to #3 that would be a steal IMO.  If too hefty of a price, you can hope that one of the QBs slips past CAR & DEN and that someone in the #11 to #14 range is willing to move back to #20.  Even then I think it costs us our 2022 1st rounder, but that’s a price worth paying IMO and perhaps it allows you to hold onto the #83 pick.  

Regardless, Pace needs to be ready to pounce tonight if the right trade partner expresses a willingness to trade down and the price isn’t overly ridiculous.  I really think it might be doable too, I’m just concerned that Pace will prioritize a win now piece with his 1st rounder (OT or WR) given he’s on the hot seat and will settle on a QB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd.  And that’s going to be very frustrating to see if one of NE or WFT ends up being able to trade up for a potential franchise QB at a somewhat reasonable price.

Fully agree with this take.  Really worried Pace burns a 2nd rounder on a guy like Mond.  Either swing for the fences with Fields / Lance or load up on OT / WR / CB talent with your first three picks.  Hopefully they go with the former and are still able to land help at two of those other three spots in the 2nd or 3rd.