NFL 2021 offseason thread

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree with you - to me we either draft one in the 1st or we accumulate some assets and just pick one of the guys later in the draft - some will fall.  Don't use a 2nd on a QB. Probability of a non 1st round QB's leading you to the promise land is not good, especially since the draft payroll structure was adjusted where picks get slotted in (much different when a 1st round QB was getting 3 times more money than the respective LB and thus it was more than just blowing it on the pick - you had to live with the fact that you paid Akili Smith like an in their prime Aaron Rodgers.  

Yes - there is Russel Wilson - but that is it. That said - in the first round - the best QB's haven't always been the top guy in recent years - going back to science isn't so hot on this.  I really just think it is throwing a dart - but they just need to do it.   

I'm fine picking whichever guy is left of Mond/Mills/Trask in the 3rd round, and if they're all gone then trade down in the 3rd. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree with you - to me we either draft one in the 1st or we accumulate some assets and just pick one of the guys later in the draft - some will fall.  Don't use a 2nd on a QB. Probability of a non 1st round QB's leading you to the promise land is not good, especially since the draft payroll structure was adjusted where picks get slotted in (much different when a 1st round QB was getting 3 times more money than the respective LB and thus it was more than just blowing it on the pick - you had to live with the fact that you paid Akili Smith like an in their prime Aaron Rodgers.  

Yes - there is Russel Wilson - but that is it. That said - in the first round - the best QB's haven't always been the top guy in recent years - going back to science isn't so hot on this.  I really just think it is throwing a dart - but they just need to do it.   

Fully agree on the dart throw nature of drafting QBs.  While early, Herbert performed the best out of the big three last year.  Josh Allen has been better than Mayfield & Darnold.  And obviously Mahomes & Watson have blown Mitch out the water and were absolute steals at #12 & #10 respectively.  To me, if I can get one of Fields or Lance for a future 1st and a couple 3rds, I’m 100% going down that path.  Lets you rock with them for the 2021 & 2022 seasons and either they’re a hit or hopefully you’re looking a very high pick come 2023.  Either way, you need to keep taking bites at the apple when opportunities present themselves and both Fields & Lance are too talented to pass up on if the price is reasonable.  Otherwise, load up on assets and hope an option presents itself next year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree on the dart throw nature of drafting QBs.  While early, Herbert performed the best out of the big three last year.  Josh Allen has been better than Mayfield & Darnold.  And obviously Mahomes & Watson have blown Mitch out the water and were absolute steals at #12 & #10 respectively.  To me, if I can get one of Fields or Lance for a future 1st and a couple 3rds, I’m 100% going down that path.  Let’s you rock with them for the 2021 & 2022 seasons and either they’re a bit or hopefully you’re looking a very high pick come 2023.  Either way, you need to keep taking bites at the apple when opportunities present themselves and both Fields & Lance are too talented to pass up on if the price is reasonable.  Otherwise, load up on assets and hope an option presents itself next year.

Chris Simms gets a lot of flack, but he nailed Herbert, nailed Josh Allen, and nailed Mahomes. He really likes Mond. OTOH, he's due for a big miss.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chris Simms gets a lot of flack, but he nailed Herbert, nailed Josh Allen, and nailed Mahomes. He really likes Mond. OTOH, he's due for a big miss.

I think he could very well be right on how good each QB ends up, I just think it is a huge huge unlikelihood that Fields would end up drafted at 32.

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s a great point, but his hits have almost always been been 1st round picks though.  I feel like it’s pretty much consensus that Mond is a 2nd round pick type talent.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a great point, but his hits have almost always been been 1st round picks though.  I feel like it’s pretty much consensus that Mond is a 2nd round pick type talent.

The point being, he ranked them correctly. He thinks Mond is the second or third best QB in this draft.

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Some of it might be true though. All of this stuff with Aaron Rodgers started when they drafted Jordan Love last year. Brett Favre even mentioned that this may happen.

It's been reported he wants out. It's all of the "insider" reports as to where.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's been reported he wants out. It's all of the "insider" reports as to where.

I think it's pretty easy to believe "The Packers will make Aaron Rodgers sit out the entire season before they trade him." Probably easier to believe than with the Texans and their QB. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it's pretty easy to believe "The Packers will make Aaron Rodgers sit out the entire season before they trade him." Probably easier to believe than with the Texans and their QB. 

I concur. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He'll just go host Jeopardy.