NFL 2021 offseason thread

On 5/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

How serious does everyone think the Arlington Heights stuff is?

What are you referring to? The only thing on this I remember was Adam Hoge writing an 'I wish' column when the race track said it would be going into bankruptcy after not finding a buyer.

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

What are you referring to? The only thing on this I remember was Adam Hoge writing an 'I wish' column when the race track said it would be going into bankruptcy after not finding a buyer.

The talk is getting louder for sure.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/chicago-bears-headed-to-arlington-heights-mayor-says-everything-remains-possibility/

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The talk is getting louder for sure.

Ah, that seems kinda like a hail mary from that mayor though. If amazon calls tomorrow to build a huge warehouse there he'll probably just take that.

But anyway, I'd be supportive. The Park District stuff is such a pain, and it really is about as inconvenient as a "central"-city stadium could get. But the football experience is just different than baseball or other major sports, mainly with it playing so few games. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Ah, that seems kinda like a hail mary from that mayor though. If amazon calls tomorrow to build a huge warehouse there he'll probably just take that.

But anyway, I'd be supportive. The Park District stuff is such a pain, and it really is about as inconvenient as a "central"-city stadium could get. But the football experience is just different than baseball or other major sports, mainly with it playing so few games. 

I agree it isn't likely, but it isn't just Hoge wishing for it anymore.  I heard a nfl writer on the score the other day talking about it too.

and for sure tons of hoops to jump through to get there

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I agree it isn't likely, but it isn't just Hoge wishing for it anymore.  I heard a nfl writer on the score the other day talking about it too.

and for sure tons of hoops to jump through to get there

The best thing that could happen for Chicago sports is for the Bears to move to Arlington Heights and the Chicago Park District to renovate Soldier field to baseball-only in 2029 for the Sox to move into. 

Basically swapping sites for a public football/soccer field in the current location of GRF and a new Soldier Field that is baseball only in the current location. 

I've been wanting the Sox to play on the Lakefront in the South Loop for years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The best thing that could happen for Chicago sports is for the Bears to move to Arlington Heights and the Chicago Park District to renovate Soldier field to baseball-only in 2029 for the Sox to move into. 

Basically swapping sites for a public football/soccer field in the current location of GRF and a new Soldier Field that is baseball only in the current location. 

yuck. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah, that kind of traffic in that spot for 81 games is a nightmare.  I'm good with ghosting Soldier field and let them do something else with it

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nah, that kind of traffic in that spot for 81 games is a nightmare.  I'm good with ghosting Soldier field and let them do something else with it

Just think about a new ballpark on the lakefront though. The traffic would suck, sure.... but the beauty of it would outweigh the inconvenience. 

Wrigley sucks worse than Soldier Field when it comes to traffic and such put people still flock there. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Just think about a new ballpark on the lakefront though. The traffic would suck, sure.... but the beauty of it would outweigh the inconvenience. 

No it wouldn't. 

Wrigley sucks worse than Soldier Field when it comes to traffic

This is incredibly wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Wrigley sucks worse than Soldier Field when it comes to traffic and such put people still flock there. 

Nah you can keep that spot, I really hope your wish doesn't come true LOL no offense.  That would genuinely lock up the downtown every time there was a game 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

No it wouldn't. 

This is incredibly wrong. 

Wrigley is in possibly the most inconvenient spot in the entire Chicagoland area for a sports stadium. 

I've been to more Bear games than Cub games and I absolutely despise going to Wrigley. 

You almost have to take the red line to get there. There is no other way.

They could run a CTA Soldier Field express on gamedays, as the Roosevelt Red Line station isn't that far from Soldier Field anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wrigley is in possibly the most inconvenient spot in the entire Chicagoland area for a sports stadium. 

I've been to more Bear games than Cub games and I absolutely despise going to Wrigley. 

They could run a CTA Soldier Field express on gamedays, as the Roosevelt Red Line station isn't that far from Soldier Field anyway. 

When is the last time you were at a Cubs game.  If you say over 10 years im done here 

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

When is the last time you were at a Cubs game.  If you say over 10 years im done here 

2016. After the renovation. 

The entire experience of getting there and all was so uncomfortable and inconvenient that I will never go again. 

Wrigley is the worst. 

I will admit I haven't been to a Bears game in a while. 

I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about with the traffic because going to a Bears game isn't any more trafficky or whatnot than going to a Sox or Bulls/Hawks game in a full house. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

From a financial standpoint, it makes no sense for the Sox to let the city in on their concessions and everything else. For the fans, it's much better to keep the city out of the Sox business as much as possible. 

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I go to ~15-20 games a year. That would absolutely change if the Sox played at the Soldier Field site. Wrigley sucks ass but at least I can get an uber to drop me off down the street or take the redline and get off close to the stadium. The Bears are basically on an island without actually being on an island. I used to live at 14th and Michigan and would walk to Soldier Field and it would still take 45 minutes to get to the game. It's awful for everyone involved. Looks nice on TV. That's about where the good stops. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wrigley is awful but nowhere near as inconvenient as the Soldier Field. 

The Roosevelt red line to Soldier Field is about a 30-40 minute walk on gameday and probably 45+ after the game to get back to the station. 

Man - a 33 year old Tebow getting a lifeline from the Jags. No way will it pan out. At 25 - interesting, but the guy is 33 and while I get that he's taken care of his body and in the NFL you can always dump guys...but man - giving even limited snaps to a 33 year old who has never played the position seems like a not so great use of your limited training camp reps.  

What do I know - Tebow was an all time GOAT in college so would be an amazing story if it did pan out.  

31 minutes ago, raBBit said:

From a financial standpoint, it makes no sense for the Sox to let the city in on their concessions and everything else. For the fans, it's much better to keep the city out of the Sox business as much as possible. 

I go to ~15-20 games a year. That would absolutely change if the Sox played at the Soldier Field site. Wrigley sucks ass but at least I can get an uber to drop me off down the street or take the redline and get off close to the stadium. The Bears are basically on an island without actually being on an island. I used to live at 14th and Michigan and would walk to Soldier Field and it would still take 45 minutes to get to the game. It's awful for everyone involved. Looks nice on TV. That's about where the good stops. 

Wrigley is awful but nowhere near as inconvenient as the Soldier Field. 

The Roosevelt red line to Soldier Field is about a 30-40 minute walk on gameday and probably 45+ after the game to get back to the station. 

Do we live in the same city? 

idk what you guys are smoking. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I could ask you the same. But you said you haven't been to Wrigley in years. Up until the end 2020, I lived in the city for the last several years. I go to a bunch of a Sox games, 2-3 Cubs games and 1-2 Bears games every year. 

Believe me, you are alone in thinking Soldier Field isn't a complete mess to get to and from.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Man - a 33 year old Tebow getting a lifeline from the Jags. No way will it pan out. At 25 - interesting, but the guy is 33 and while I get that he's taken care of his body and in the NFL you can always dump guys...but man - giving even limited snaps to a 33 year old who has never played the position seems like a not so great use of your limited training camp reps.  

What do I know - Tebow was an all time GOAT in college so would be an amazing story if it did pan out.  

I don't know, I would be surprised if Tebow makes the team. That said, Urban Meyer has a bunch of new players coming in and a new star QB, I think he's bringing in Tebow to get a leader to help everyone buy in to the new Meyer regime. People who work with/play with Tebow rarely have a negative thing to say about him. The guy is a hardworking, inspiring, stand-up dude whether he deserves a spot on the final 55 or not. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So you haven't been to a Cubs game in over 5 years, and it's been much longer than that since you've been to a Bears game. 

I went to multiple Bears games in 2019, and probably been to Wrigley 10 times in the last 3 years, both for games and concerts. It's about 45 steps to the red line out of Wrigley, and there are multiple different ways out of the ballpark. 

Solider Field is an absolute shitshow, from driving in, public transportation and ways out of the stadium. You don't know what you're talking about and multiple people are telling you how wrong you are. This is why I stopped responding to any of the items you post. You die on hills you have no business being on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't know, I would be surprised if Tebow makes the team. That said, Urban Meyer has a bunch of new players coming in and a new star QB, I think he's bringing in Tebow to get a leader to help everyone buy in to the new Meyer regime. People who work with/play with Tebow rarely have a negative thing to say about him. The guy is a hardworking, inspiring, stand-up dude whether he deserves a spot on the final 55 or not. 

I get it - as Tebow the person - but don't you think as a player - you wonder what are we doing here. Kind of like - is Meyer just going to go to his guys type of deal.  Not that I suspect Tebow is going to get some special treatment in the actual lockeroom -  he probably is there for exactly what you say - I just feel like in the sense of just practice reps - you could find a whole lot of Undrafted TE's and others who probably have a better shot at making a dent on the roster vs. Tebow.

That said - would those players make a dent in terms of character / work ethic - no idea.  But I don't really see how or why if I was a good NFL player that I would really pay any attention to Tebow other than a potential rolling of the eyes at it (not knocking him as a college player - but he's been out of the league a really long time).  Its a bummer - cause this would have been the right route for him early in his career.