NFL 2021 offseason thread

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man, this reeks of Orlando Pace at the end.  
also that comment about Fields quitting on Georgia is hilarious.  He was the better Qb and he knew it, and he decided to go somewhere else.  College football lol

see 2019 season.

I think Georgia just couldn't look past fromm's rookie year where he seemed like he was going to be the next murray/stafford. He never really got better and it's such an easy offense to put the numbers he put up in. You always have incredible runningbacks and offensive line, and he's in the SEC East.

I don't think anyone really takes it from the 2019 LSU tigers, that time was incredible, but hard for me to believe they aren't in at least the playoffs in 2019-20 if they didn't stay with Fromm.

• Like 1

Ryan Pace, frankly, was not having a good offseason before he drafted Justin Fields, that bought him a great deal of (well-deserved) slack

Teven Jenkins may very well may go on to have a solid NFL career but the way they've handled this reeks of incompetence. Fields notwithstanding, whenever Pace trades up to take someone you should be suspicious of him at this point, because he's probably outsmarting himself again.

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is too bad they couldn’t have made this move a month ago. 

The issue obviously isn't too severe that they opted for the conservative treatment route to avoid surgery. It just didn't resolve itself so they then opted for surgery. When the low back is involved it's always better to try the conservative route first.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue obviously isn't too severe that they opted for the conservative treatment route to avoid surgery. It just didn't resolve itself so they then opted for surgery. When the low back is involved it's always better to try the conservative route first.

Helpful - sounds like one of those things where everyone was hopeful it would naturally resolve itself, but unfortunately it didn't and thus they had to make this pivot. The hard part is obviously fact that it is hard to get in the necessary reps during the season to make an impression - but if in the long run he is okay and can develop into the player they think he is, that is what is most important.  

It turns out dropping Leno so quickly (and they haven't really reused the cap space) was probably not the right move (even though the team clearly wanted to move on).  Leno is better than Peters at this point (and far more durable).  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Helpful - sounds like one of those things where everyone was hopeful it would naturally resolve itself, but unfortunately it didn't and thus they had to make this pivot. The hard part is obviously fact that it is hard to get in the necessary reps during the season to make an impression - but if in the long run he is okay and can develop into the player they think he is, that is what is most important.  

It turns out dropping Leno so quickly (and they haven't really reused the cap space) was probably not the right move (even though the team clearly wanted to move on).  Leno is better than Peters at this point (and far more durable).  

It was a huge risk at the time, amazingly the oline hasn't been awful in camp from what it sounds like even injured (or our dline is terrible but I doubt that) and they looked okay in pass last week.

Hopefully peters is fine, or borom is a one-in-a-thousand gem that can be a good LT as a rookie from the fifth round.

I'm really bored of the "fields should start season" stuff and trying to turn it into this life or death argument. I think he probably should, but I don't really see it being a big deal if he doesn't, and that reps with ones matters but also not throwing him behind a shit o line before he has good understanding of offense can be counter productive.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm really bored of the "fields should start season" stuff and trying to turn it into this life or death argument. I think he probably should, but I don't really see it being a big deal if he doesn't, and that reps with ones matters but also not throwing him behind a shit o line before he has good understanding of offense can be counter productive.

I'd prefer he didn't start many games until we can get a competent O-line together. I'd rather he not get killed in his rookie year. 

1 minute ago, Marqhead said:

I'd prefer he didn't start many games until we can get a competent O-line together. I'd rather he not get killed in his rookie year. 

Agreed. It brings up bad memories of what happened to David Carr. Why risk a possible franchise QB getting gun shy by running for his life constantly.

The O-line will always have issues, injuries will always be there unless you're incredibly lucky. I agree it's not the end of the world if Fields doesn't start but to act like we need an elite O-line before he steps on the field is crazy to me. There's only so much he can learn from the sidelines and holding a clipboard. Kid has played in some huge games the past couple years and by all means looks ready to make the jump. I just don't believe starting him week 1 or week 8 will make any difference. The kid needs reps with the best players on the team in real games to catch up to the speed of the game. Plus running 4.4 helps any O-Line substantially. I couldn't care less about where the Bears end up this year as long as Field is getting acclimated.

Edited by TheTruth05

16 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

The O-line will always have issues, injuries will always be there unless you're incredibly lucky. I agree it's not the end of the world if Fields doesn't start but to act like we need an elite O-line before he steps on the field is crazy to me. There's only so much he can learn from the sidelines and holding a clipboard. Kid has played in some huge games the past couple years and by all means looks ready to make the jump. I just don't believe starting him week 1 or week 8 will make any difference. The kid needs reps with the best players on the team in real games to catch up to the speed of the game. Plus running 4.4 helps any O-Line substantially. I couldn't care less about where the Bears end up this year as long as Field is getting acclimated.

They don't need an elite one. But one that at least has tackles that aren't 3rd string.

Running 4.4 all the time doesn't help develop his passing skills. This is where he needs his reps.

29 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

If they are that bad then Dalton will get killed first and Fields will be in right afterwards.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

They don't need an elite one. But one that at least has tackles that aren't 3rd string.

Running 4.4 all the time doesn't help develop his passing skills. This is where he needs his reps.

What 3rd stringer will be playing opening night? there's still 3+ weeks left.

4.4 helps alot of things, his downfield accuracy and arm are 2 of his biggest strengths. He will only get more comfortable with the playbook by actually playing.

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

What 3rd stringer will be playing opening night? there's still 3+ weeks left.

4.4 helps alot of things, his downfield accuracy and arm are 2 of his biggest strengths. He will only get more comfortable with the playbook by actually playing.

As of right now the person the Bears wanted as their starting LT is out with back surgery. Thier starting RT is out with a knee injury. One of their backup tackles is out with a concussion. They just signed Peters off the street because they have no one else and he hasn't played a full season in 2 years.

Even if those are his strengths he will not be able to improve on them and develop them if he needs to use the 4.4 all the time. Sure it helps in the short term but doesn't help in the long term.