So maybe we don’t need another reliable starter after all

Sticky Stuff

Plus, I've read on here on another post that someone said Cease was "horrible" last year. No. He wasn't. His last two starts of the year were horrible and that caused Renteria to lose confidence in him for the playoffs. But those last two starts only brought his ERA to 4.01. Before that it was 3.20. Which is just fine for a young pitcher pitching his first full season, (well, it would have been,) in the majors and for your 4th starter. For all the people arguing to give Vaughn a chance as a reason not to sign Cruz, why aren't you allowing Cease the same opportunity? He's at least proven he is capable of getting major league hitters out, yet people want to junk him. Vaughn has proven absolutely, positively NOTHING at the major league level, and people are saying we don't need a guy who's hit 40 homers the last couple of years and to just give Vaughn a chance. 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Plus, I've read on here on another post that someone said Cease was "horrible" last year. No. He wasn't. His last two starts of the year were horrible and that caused Renteria to lose confidence in him for the playoffs. But those last two starts only brought his ERA to 4.01. Before that it was 3.20. Which is just fine for a young pitcher pitching his first full season, (well, it would have been,) in the majors and for your 4th starter. For all the people arguing to give Vaughn a chance as a reason not to sign Cruz, why aren't you allowing Cease the same opportunity? He's at least proven he is capable of getting major league hitters out, yet people want to junk him. Vaughn has proven absolutely, positively NOTHING at the major league level, and people are saying we don't need a guy who's hit 40 homers the last couple of years and to just give Vaughn a chance. 

Cease tended to stress the bullpen because he would get high pitch counts early in the game, and he was very hot/cold.   

I love Cease's arm and repertoire but I would be lying if I said that he was anything more than mediocre last season

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Cease tended to stress the bullpen because he would get high pitch counts early in the game, and he was very hot/cold.   

I love Cease's arm and repertoire but I would be lying if I said that he was anything more than mediocre last season

I'm not saying Cease was perfect. He was too wild. But again he's young. Plus, don't a lot of 4th starters do the same thing and are the same way? We shouldn't be happy with a 4th starter having a 4.01 ERA? For that we should think about junking him?  I even heard one foolish comment on here that with him in the rotation we're going to miss Mat Latos!! But we're supposed to give Vaughn a blind chance?

Edited by Soxsi75
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

Bit of a different topic, but exciting doesn't just mean home runs in baseball.

Problem with the excitement in baseball is we have outcomes of : Strikeout, walk, or home run. 

We need more action with hits, line outs, fly outs, hard grounders. 

Hard grounders are typically called outs.  

33 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I'm not saying Cease was perfect. He was too wild. But again he's young. Plus, don't a lot of 4th starters do the same thing and are the same way? We shouldn't be happy with a 4th starter having a 4.01 ERA? For that we should think about junking him?  I even heard one foolish comment on here that with him in the rotation we're going to miss Mat Latos!! But we're supposed to give Vaughn a blind chance?

Look, I’m all for giving Cease a shot next year, but let’s not use his flukey ERA to suggest he pitched like a 4.00 ERA pitcher last year.  He’s a complete wild card at the moment, but one with tantalizing upside if he can put it all together.  He’s got to learn to command his stuff and figure out a way to reduce the cut on his fastball.  If he can make strides in those areas, he should be more than fine as our #4 starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

Sure Rodon has decent numbers when he's healthy.  But his long unreliable history with injuries is the issue. He's the org's #1 hope for defense against rotation problems and there's a lot that could go wrong.  After him, who's next?  Lopez?  Its ridiculous! 

image.png

Fair enough. But for a candidate to compete for a 5th man, it can work out as a bridge to Kopech. Not many teams stretch to 5 with a bunch more certaintly than this. Our offense is gonna carry us through it all. Personally I don't think Rodon was physically ready to pitch after all the down time issues. Velo is one thing, fitness and command is another. Hes throwing 96, and has had some time now to get his work in. We'll see.

12 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

with this offense, the team can afford to pencil in Cease without looking toward some of the other mediocre pitchers people wanted to aquire. That's the whole thing. Sure, you'de ideally like to find a superior alternative. Who was that? Bauer?

I mean, yes? The best team in the league said screw it and added him to get even better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

I'm not saying don't get Bauer. But on planet earth, that wasn't happening, Jerry has closed his wallet. So  Cease is as good as any other ideas

Can you please change your username or go away?

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 12:45 PM, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Fair enough. But for a candidate to compete for a 5th man, it can work out as a bridge to Kopech. Not many teams stretch to 5 with a bunch more certaintly than this. Our offense is gonna carry us through it all. Personally I don't think Rodon was physically ready to pitch after all the down time issues. Velo is one thing, fitness and command is another. Hes throwing 96, and has had some time now to get his work in. We'll see.

Steve Adams just speculated that teams will need 10 to 15 starters to get through 2021.  Yikes!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

This seems like the best spot for this info. Another reason to hate the Adam Eaton signing, hooray!

I find this stuff dumb.

I could easily see worse pitching quality over course of year negating the dead ball.

Just now, TomPickle said:

This is 2019 and 2020 combined, so not just projecting out a shortened season into a full one.

I'm saying the issues affecting stretching out pitchers may mean a lot of lower quality pitchers this year, leading to more home runs. I just don't put a lot of value in these predictions.

Just now, bmags said:

I'm saying the issues affecting stretching out pitchers may mean a lot of lower quality pitchers this year, leading to more home runs. I just don't put a lot of value in these predictions.

This is not a prediction it is just taking what happened and adjusting for the ball. Maybe *I* am making a prediction based off on this information, but what I posted is not forward looking in any way. Even If the caliber of pitching is down across the board guys hitting paint scrapers are still going to be more negatively effected by a deadened ball than the guys hitting no doubters all the time.

• Like 1