Double Header & Extra Innings

poppysox

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

Bleacher Report is stating that the 7 inning games for doubleheaders and runner at 2nd in extra innings rules are returning for 2021.  Boo!

People may not like them but, 7 inning games can benefit Kopech and Cease and the bullpen.

• Fire 1

What will be interesting is to see how teams reschedule games postponed due to weather and Covid. You would think they wouldn't want to schedule a DH and try to work off days late in the season for the better chance of more of a crowd. But at some point, especially if there is a team like the Cardinals last year,that has a Covid breakout, you are going to have to play the DHs even without fans.

Honestly I think the universal DH would have happened if the players had been willing to deal a bit more on the type and style of season we had, but the owners weren't going to let a bargaining chip go without getting something for it.  Both camps already seem to be pre-negotiating for the next CBA, so there is definitely some heeling digging going on.

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly I think the universal DH would have happened if the players had been willing to deal a bit more on the type and style of season we had, but the owners weren't going to let a bargaining chip go without getting something for it.  Both camps already seem to be pre-negotiating for the next CBA, so there is definitely some heeling digging going on.

Owners vs. Players is a sad dynamic. 

Universal DH is better for the game of baseball. Should be instituted anyway. 

I understand the owners position of not allowing UDH for nothing because it's a bargaining chip, but it's beyond sad to me that these two sides can't be like, well, yeah, it's better for the general game so let's do it. That's the epitome of the problem between them. The two sides put themselves first before the game.

As far as this topic goes...

Double header 7 innings I'm not a huge fan of, but I don't mind. They speed them up and it gets the games in. Im OK with it. 

Extra innings runner on second is pretty horrible IMO. Should at least go a few more innings before resorting to distorting the game.