Andrew Benintendi traded to the Royals

maxjusttyped

• Heads22 changed the title to Andrew Benintendi reportedly traded to the Royals
  • Heads22 changed the title to Andrew Benintendi traded to the Royals
14 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Our favorite game, in Sox prospect currency, this is probably Engel, Adolfo, and Kade McClure. I would have pulled the trigger hoping Benny would bounce back to at least league average.

This trade would be a no brainer for me, but I think Adolofo being out of options kills his trade value.

19 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Our favorite game, in Sox prospect currency, this is probably Engel, Adolfo, and Kade McClure. I would have pulled the trigger hoping Benny would bounce back to at least league average.

Well I would give up all those guys who will probably never make it for him . Anyway doesn’t matter cause it didn’t happen, Engel is a nice back up player the rest are nothing. 

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

3 for 1 is a dangerous trade to do hoping AB finds his mojo again . If he doesn't Engel is actually more valuable then the current Benintendi is to the Sox and then there are 2 prospects that they get to find some upside with. Much easier for the Royals to do that trade where that team currently is. I can't really recall the Sox making a similar move during the rebuild but always hoped they'd make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Is it sad that the sox are a world series contending team and we are sad about missing out on a failed prospect with very limited upside as our starting RFer?

I haven't seen one post where anyone is sad. Benintendi isn't a failed prospect . He's already accumulated a decent amount of WAR in his short career. But Boston never put him in RF so I would imagine he doesn't have the arm for it.

• Like 2

Cordero is one of those toolsy guys like Adolfo that has never been able to stay healthy and match his raw power with actual HR consistency in the majors.   Plus, AB’s getting more and more expensive.   And he doesn’t have the arm for RF.

For this season though, Benintendi in LF, Jimenez to DH would have been something to consider. 

Just need to keep Jimenez healthy and out in the field for 140+ games somehow.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I haven't seen one post where anyone is sad. Benintendi isn't a failed prospect . He's already accumulated a decent amount of WAR in his short career. But Boston never put him in RF so I would imagine he doesn't have the arm for it.

It’s 75% better than 3-4 years ago when Moncada was struggling and Benintendi looking like a perennial All-Star.

After all this time, Yoan and Kopech still retain the volatility that was the partial reasoning behind the trade from the Boston perspective.

To their detriment, though, Benintendi has regressed.  He was the quintessential high floor, but limited ceiling collegian and Hahn rolled the dice.  Devers was never going to be included as the third piece.

Guessing it would be a 50/50 split or maybe even slightly leaning Devers if you had a poll asking who you’d prefer as a White Sox fan to have between him and Moncada from this point forward.

Also, speaking of DH/1B/3B, Miguel Andujar would be an ideal add, but the Yankees aren’t stupid...even though he currently has no place to play.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Benintendi always reminds me of Gordon Beckham and his rise and fall.  Both looked like sure things to become stars.  They both will end up with relatively long careers but with very ho-hum results.

Beckham only really had those 3-4 months is his rookie campaign.  He’s around a career 5 war, 80+ ops hitter, with a lot of that value derived from his defense.  Benintendi has double that value already, with a 107+ ops, but almost all of his value coming on the offensive side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Beckham only really had those 3-4 months is his rookie campaign.  He’s around a career 5 war, 80+ ops hitter, with a lot of that value derived from his defense.  Benintendi has double that value already, with a 107+ ops, but almost all of his value coming on the offensive side.

I am referring to the fact that both looked like such sure things...they were virtually untouchable in trade talks.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Would take Beni over Eaton 10/10 times.

Sad the White Sox didn't get in on this. No reason not to. Would have been nice depth. 

4.4, 2.0, -0.5 over the last three years for AB.

If you look at averages, he’s a 2, but look at the path of those numbers.

Eaton 1.9, 2.4, -0.5 (but missed quite a few games for a counting stat)

That would give you just a 1.3 as the average.

Of course, 2020 was a shortened season.   Not a huge difference in salary, $6.6 million (AB) closer to what the Sox should have paid if Rosario’s only at $8 million.

But that would force Jimenez off the field and to DH, and Benintendi can only play LF.  Which means you’re still blocking Vaughn unless you’re just writing off either Eaton (or Benintendi) already for the second half of the season.  In which case you’re once again wasting money/resources.  And you’re putting Jimenez back in the field after sitting all that time.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1