Spring training broadcast schedule

quickman

In looking at the broadcast schedule on whitesox.com it looks like all of the Home ST games have either a TV/ESPN 1000 Radio/MLB.com Radio option. The only "away" game with Radio of any kind is the 3-8-21 game vs the Dodgers which of course is basically a home game. 

I wonder why NBC Sports Chicago didn't pick up more games to televise...you'd think there would be a lot more interest in the spring training games than whatever else they have on at 2 pm central time on any day of the week.

EDIT: I'm sure most of the games where we don't have whitesox broadcasting access, we'll probably have access to the other team's broadcast (for MLB.TV subscribers)

Edited by ScooterMcGee

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I wonder why NBC Sports Chicago didn't pick up more games to televise...you'd think there would be a lot more interest in the spring training games than whatever else they have on at 2 pm central time on any day of the week.

This point comes up every year, and I feel like the answer in previous years was related to overlap with the Bulls/Hawks and the amount of production trucks or staffing. The Bulls regular season ends on March 3rd this year. I'm assuming the road games not being on TV are due to COVID like how last season they did the games from the home park with the road production camera setups.

I'm guessing Jason probably has overlap with his other responsibilities so I assume he can't do a ton of games. Who knows how many ST games if any are in Steve/Jason's contracts, while we as fans would take just the game being on with no announcers I'm sure NBC Chicago wants the same level of production like a regular game. 

14 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

EDIT: I'm sure most of the games where we don't have whitesox broadcasting access, we'll probably have access to the other team's broadcast (for MLB.TV subscribers)

Probably because the station has been in cost cutting mode and spring games don't bring many viewers so it isn't worth the cost. Probably when Covid passes, they will show a lot more games when thei finances are back in order.

• Like 1

Found it. (This is from 2020)

The White Sox will be shown only six times in spring training, despite its network, NBC Sports Chicago, having relaunched as the Sox’ exclusive home and fans’ excitement for the season skyrocketing.

But the Sox’ spring broadcast schedule was surprising when it was announced. With NBCSCH’s other tenants, the Blackhawks and Bulls, sputtering to the finish line, many expected the network to serve starving Sox fans a menu of appetizers before airing a 161-game main course.

The network explained its situation in a statement:

“NBC Sports Chicago now carries every local Blackhawks and Bulls telecast. To accommodate that additional coverage, we have to make adjustments to our schedule. During the spring training games’ time frame, we will be carrying 27 regular-season games featuring the Blackhawks and Bulls, meaning that our production crews now have a grander scale of responsibilities than ever before.

“The White Sox are always a top priority for our network, and we are focused on bringing White Sox fans our expert coverage of 161 out of the team’s 162 regular-season-game schedule, beginning with the home/season opener on March 26.”

It’s a whole new world for NBCSCH, which is carrying more games than it ever has. During spring training last year, NBCSCH aired five Sox and two Cubs games while airing 20 Hawks/Bulls games. Without the Cubs but with almost every Hawks, Bulls and Sox game, the station has 30 more games of inventory in its first year of the relaunch.

With those additional games come additional hours for the production crew, whose work also involves pre- and postgame shows. Those hours aren’t free, and there are many of them.

Why NBC Sports Chicago is airing only six White Sox spring-training games

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably because the station has been in cost cutting mode and spring games don't bring many viewers so it isn't worth the cost. Probably when Covid passes, they will show a lot more games when thei finances are back in order.

They were only showing 6 before Covid was a thing last year as well 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They were only showing 6 before Covid was a thing last year as well 

Last year was the first without the Cubs on the station and the Sox had some of the shittiest TV ratings in baseball. The whitezox.com telecasts will still rule, but I bet post Covid with a more interesting team, they will put more on the station. 

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last year was the first without the Cubs on the station and the Sox had some of the shittiest TV ratings in baseball. The whitezox.com telecasts will still rule, but I bet post Covid with a more interesting team, they will put more on the station. 

What? I thought the Sox had good ratings in 2020?

8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

1*PWTS7We3Bq9HzJ6Vvaj6sQ.jpeg

Thanks for posting. Half the games are free (whitesox.com or ESPN) so I'm a happy camper. Will likely be in Green Bay for the opener, hope 620-AM Milwaukee  is covering it.

The only upsetting part is DST doesn't start until March 14th, wish we could keep DST permanent like most people prefer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

The Cubs are televising 28 games while the Sox only six.  Seems like a missed opportunity to create a buzz for our new and exciting  team while the Cubs get so much more exposure.  

They have Already explained this , even the cubs are limited based on covid issues , only televising home games in the spring. different than the Sox excuse but kind of related based on crews. The Sox also have the app broadcast which I enjoy. It’s enough actually and I will catch some radio stuff.