Hendriks Really Wants to Play for TLR

Texsox

Hendriks was captivated and charmed, particularly by La Russa. They knew each other from ARF, the Animal Rescue Foundation founded by La Russa and his wife, Elaine, in which Liam and Kristi donated their time and money.

“Tony would come down to our clubhouse in Oakland and we would talk," Hendriks said. "I loved his mindset on the way he manages. He knows how to run a bullpen. I mean, he was the one who established that closer’s role with Denis Eckersley.

“I appreciated his old-school vibe. If a guy is pitching well, let him pitch. I told him I always want that ball.’’

Great article, thanks for sharing. Found this very interesting...

Hendriks had offers from five teams by Dec. 10. The White Sox started with an initial proposal of two years and an option guaranteeing just less than $20 million.”

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wonder if this changes anyone's mind about TLR and relationships with players. 

Doubtful. They have some things in common like the animals and Hendriks liking LaRussa's use of relief pitchers. Plus Hendriks seems like the kind of guy with a positive mental attitude on just about everything. I'm neutral on it considering some players need different things than others. Some need TLC and others need a kick in the ass and everything in between. If you play hard you will gain a manager's respect , results get you playing time although a lot of managers do defer to veterans. We see that time after time.

• Like 1

Love this piece. He didn't just sign for the money, even if the money was critical to the process. Colome was an effective closer for us, but he didn't strike me as a team-leader type. I think Hendriks is the kind of guy who will help lead the entire bullpen to shut teams down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Not at all.  I don’t think anyone was worried about someone like Hendriks. 

If this is roughly a code for worrying about age divide and race relations, to say it incredibly crudely, in the White Sox clubhouse then I agree. I hope TLR gets everyone on his side. It’s the Sox decision and nothing is going to change, so might as well hope for the best

1 hour ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

If this is roughly a code for worrying about age divide and race relations, to say it incredibly crudely, in the White Sox clubhouse then I agree. I hope TLR gets everyone on his side. It’s the Sox decision and nothing is going to change, so might as well hope for the best

If TA7 gives his blessing after a couple weeks, this should be able to be put behind the fanbase...I hope. IF they come out hot and win a bunch in April, winning baseball will be the focus, not TLR histrionics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

If TA7 gives his blessing after a couple weeks, this should be able to be put behind the fanbase...I hope. IF they come out hot and win a bunch in April, winning baseball will be the focus, not TLR histrionics. 

TA has given some interviews lately saying he was pretty upset about this in the beginning, but has started to come around as he has talked to TLR more.  Hopefully it lasts once things start going for real.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

TA has given some interviews lately saying he was pretty upset about this in the beginning, but has started to come around as he has talked to TLR more.  Hopefully it lasts once things start going for real.

If he can come around hopefully so can the board. Do we still have people calling/mailing companies to boycott? Lol

1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

If he can come around hopefully so can the board. Do we still have people calling/mailing companies to boycott? Lol

I still am 100% against the hire, and haven't spent a dime on anything that would go back to the White Sox since it happened.  I plan on continuing that until he is gone.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From what I saw, TA said he was upset that Ricky was let go, I didn't see anything where he said he was specifically against TLR in any way.  But I may have missed it, if you have a link to something else, I'd read it.

7 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Definitely alluding to a few things, but they aren’t all black and white (pun intended, but I’m also saying there is a grey area in there).

I don’t think the example of TA coming around on La Russa means anything in relation to potential free agents or even trade acquisitions.  TA is already on the team, and there’s not much he can do about that, so he’s learning and trying to be opened minded about the situation.  His immediate reaction was quite different.  Which means, a FA who has a similar reaction won’t have the motivation and/or time to “come around.”  Most people will not commit to a situation they aren’t completely comfortable with.  Let’s face it, we won’t be handing out much bigger contracts than our competition to change their minds.

This season could change some minds about La Russa, but I think it will always be a question mark for some players and an obstacle those same players might not feel is worth it.

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

Definitely alluding to a few things, but they aren’t all black and white (pun intended, but I’m also saying there is a grey area in there).

I don’t think the example of TA coming around on La Russa means anything in relation to potential free agents or even trade acquisitions.  TA is already on the team, and there’s not much he can do about that, so he’s learning and trying to be opened minded about the situation.  His immediate reaction was quite different.  Which means, a FA who has a similar reaction won’t have the motivation and/or time to “come around.”  Most people will not commit to a situation they aren’t completely comfortable with.  Let’s face it, we won’t be handing out much bigger contracts than our competition to change their minds.

This season could change some minds about La Russa, but I think it will always be a question mark for some players and an obstacle those same players might not feel is worth it.

It's easy right now. Things get interesting next week when guys start working with each other and start really interacting. We will really learn something when things go badly.  How doesn't Tony treat people when things go wrong? How do obviously more sensitive guys with loud voices react if Tony gets on them?  How does Tony react if guys push back against his Boomer antics? What happens if Tony's politics run into a guy like TAs politics head on?

These are the types of things that could shatter this team quickly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's easy right now. Things get interesting next week when guys start working with each other and start really interacting. We will really learn something when things go badly.  How doesn't Tony treat people when things go wrong? How do obviously more sensitive guys with loud voices react if Tony gets on them?  How does Tony react if guys push back against his Boomer antics? What happens if Tony's politics run into a guy like TAs politics head on?

These are the types of things that could shatter this team quickly.

What are Boomer antics ? Is this some kind of slight against over 70M people in the US aged 57-75 ? Is everything they do or say some kind of slight to people Tim's age ?

It's one thing to speak out against an individual but to disrespect a whole generation is another.

I have seen your comments in the past with your "OK Boomer" responses. It's starting to smell like the guy who speaks out against injustice has his own issues with being just.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What are Boomer antics ? Is this some kind of slight against over 70M people in the US aged 57-75 ? Is everything they do or say some kind of slight to people Tim's age ?

It's one thing to speak out against an individual but to disrespect a whole generation is another.

I have seen your comments in the past with your "OK Boomer" responses. It's starting to smell like the guy who speaks out against injustice has his own issues with being just.

I’m not the only White Sox fan in SoCal who is up at 4am. 😆

• Haha 1

I realize many of us dislike the TLR hiring, and everyone has a right to deal with that as they wish.  Personally, I chooses to concentrate on the players and what happens on the field.  I will be going to games this season (provided fans are allowed - fingers crossed), I'll buy the gear, I'll cheer them on.  I liked Renteria, but he lacked the edge and made some piss-poor decisions regarding pitching.

As far as Hendriks and others looking forward to playing for him, why wouldn't they?  Thoughts of him personally aside, he's proven to be a very good manager and has demonstrated the ability to handle a pitching staff very well.  If he leads this team to the playoffs, a pennant, a World Series, the players are going to like playing for him.

Besides, what do you expect the players to say?  That they don't want to play for him?  Anderson was honest about his thoughts and is still willing to see what happens before making biased assumptions.

Throughout this season, let's complain about TLR for the same reasons we've complained about previous managers.  Let's b**** about lineups, play 10th inning arm chair managers regarding pitching changes, and proclaim that we could do a better job.  And let's cheer this bad ass team all season while they fuck up the rest of the AL.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I still am 100% against the hire, and haven't spent a dime on anything that would go back to the White Sox since it happened.  I plan on continuing that until he is gone.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I hope TLR doesn’t make it through the season. I can’t wait until he’s gone. 

• Love 1