Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

6 weeks til opening day!

Actually, opening night. The Sox have a grand total of three games that start after 9pm. Games 1, 5, and 6 of the season.

Wait really?  None of the other  A's, Seattle or Angels games start after 9?  That's awesome

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait really?  None of the other  A's, Seattle or Angels games start after 9?  That's awesome

It appears that the Angels' standard start times are 6:38 on weeeknights and 6:07 on weekends. Opening night is 7:05 because of TV. The first two Seattle games are 7:05 local but the last game is a getaway day game. The first two Oakland games are 6:40 local with the finale being a getaway day game.

9 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Me too. Just wish the sox home games would start at like 6:10 instead of 7:10 central

Back in the day of red uniforms and an astroturf infield, they started the night games at 8 pm. The problem with the 6 pm games is the lighting.  Maybe the new LED lights change that. I don't know, but they sure did make a huge difference when it got dark.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Back in the day of red uniforms and an astroturf infield, they started the night games at 8 pm.

That’s wild. I do remember 7:35 starts back in the day (for me). Pace of play has changed things. 6:40 for some games would be a good thing. I think it would be appealing to a lot of people that are thinking about what time they’re getting in bed by the time they get home. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Back in the day of red uniforms and an astroturf infield, they started the night games at 8 pm. The problem with the 6 pm games is the lighting.  Maybe the new LED lights change that. I don't know, but they sure did make a huge difference when it got dark.

Eh, they could do it. They usually have 6:00 start times on Saturdays I believe. it probably has to do with when they think the most people are back home from work, finished dinner, kids winding down from the day, etc. But I have noticed more and more teams are trending toward earlier start times, probably due to games lasting longer. The more interesting parts of the game usually is the 5th inning and later anyway.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Forgot about the LED lights. Wonder how it'll be inside the park with them this year.

And they start at 7pm to allow the crowd to get off work and get to the stadium on time. Hawks moved their start times from 7 to 7:30 for this reason a couple seasons ago. Doesn't matter much on Saturdays hence the 6pm starts.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Clark, Narron, and Duncan are taking Luis Gonzalez, Zack Collins, and Yermin Mercedes numbers, but they didn’t update the roster for them. 17, 21, 25, and 32 are open.

Gonzalez 17, Collins 21, Mercedes 73

Vaughn 25 would look sharp, but we know...

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Forgot about the LED lights. Wonder how it'll be inside the park with them this year.

And they start at 7pm to allow the crowd to get off work and get to the stadium on time. Hawks moved their start times from 7 to 7:30 for this reason a couple seasons ago. Doesn't matter much on Saturdays hence the 6pm starts.

My favorite was the 7:11 game times. They made million$ off of that deal. Not.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I want 99 for Vaughn

Don Cooper changed from 99 back to 21 last year just in case, so that’s probably happening. I’m just not the flashy baseball number kinda dude. If Luis Robert went from 88 to 44 and said it was for Hank Aaron, I’d be very happy.