Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What? You’re saying those posts don’t exist??

I read a post and some replies yesterday asking if Hahn should have left and if he could get another GM job. TA7 was the one guy people thought would forever hate TLR. He doesn't hate him so it's time for everyone to move on. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What? You’re saying those posts don’t exist??

Posters concerns related to La Russia’s previous history with Ozzie Smith or Ron Grant were that it to also happen here.

Fans spend a significant amount of time watching and discussing the team, no true fan would want players to be unhappy, have a divided or toxic clubhouse just to say “I told you so”. 

Also, the totality of posts questioning the LaRussa hire paled in compared to the “frothing at the mouth” against Rick Renteria, the man who earned a contract extension for his player development, positive team culture, the man players loved to battle for, and manager who led the team to their best record since 2008.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea that all is fine forever because Tim and Tony are fine on Day 5 of spring training is the problem. This isn't over. 

He never said "all was fine". He just pointed out this is another sign things (at least for the actual players and staff) are going good with TLR.

The complete doom and gloom around TLR this forum emits is getting old and frankly sounding more and more like an echo chamber. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Come on. You’re acting like there haven’t been hundreds if not thousands of frothing at the mouth anti La Russa posts in which one of the primary arguments is he is going to tear the clubhouse apart because he’s incapable of getting along with black players, the primary support for which was that Ron Gant didn’t like him thirty years ago.

Thinking that is going to happen ≠ wanting that to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s sad that it seems certain posters are hoping for there to be turmoil.

It's sad that people think people are rooting for it by being worried about this hire. These hysterics do nothing to calm this topic. Especially as a guy was hypercritical of this organization forever, you should get this. Unless you are telling me that for years aand years you hoped for the Sox to fail and the Cubs to win so you could be right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

He never said "all was fine". He just pointed out this is another sign things (at least for the actual players and staff) are going good with TLR.

The complete doom and gloom around TLR this forum emits is getting old and frankly sounding more and more like an echo chamber. 

An echo chamber doesn't have debate. I think you want an echo chamber because you only seem to want to hear one opinion regurgitated back to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Thinking that is going to happen ≠ wanting that to happen. 

Thank you. I've had to deal with the same shit regarding Jose Abreu. Do people think I actually want him to fail? Absolutely not. I get grilled for not predicting him to be a perennial MVP candidate though.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

An echo chamber doesn't have debate. I think you want an echo chamber because you only seem to want to hear one opinion regurgitated back to you.

There's nothing to debate for the doomers tho, thats, uh, the problem for them.  The team has moved on.  Maybe if TA and TLR get in something down the road we can revisit it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Stfu about TLR. Not every thread needs to turn into a TLR bitchfest. 

I was just going to post something similar.  Let's focus on what's on the field.  So far, it seems like the players and TLR are getting along fine.  It's early, I know, but they all want the same thing - to win.

Whether we like it or not, TLR is the manager.  There's no sense continuing to complain about it.  Let's save the complaining for a game that is blown because of a bad decision or a crappy lineup or something related to the actual game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Posters concerns related to La Russia’s previous history with Ozzie Smith or Ron Grant were that it to also happen here.

Fans spend a significant amount of time watching and discussing the team, no true fan would want players to be unhappy, have a divided or toxic clubhouse just to say “I told you so”. 

Also, the totality of posts questioning the LaRussa hire paled in compared to the “frothing at the mouth” against Rick Renteria, the man who earned a contract extension for his player development, positive team culture, the man players loved to battle for, and manager who led the team to their best record since 2008.

I'd argue we had our best record since 2008 in spite of RR.

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

I'd argue we had our best record since 2008 in spite of RR.

There  is no evidence any manager with one viable starting pitcher and a bullpen running on fumes the final week will advance in a playoff series. Perhaps if Hahn didn't saddle Ricky with a bunch of high priced negative value players like Encarnacion and Mazara, or secured some (any) pitching help or any help at the deadline beyond the laughable Dyson trade (that Steve Stone hyped as a major spending commitment on the Score - what a fucking boot licking  ass-clown), or if Hahn's big high priced free agent pitcher signing could walk the walk in the playoffs matching his non stop "teaching and schooling" bullshit he spewed all season and beyond, they advance.

Hahn either concurred with Ricky or ordered Ricky to have the bullpen game Game 3. Hahn called up Rodon to relieve for the first time in in his career, because they were desperate with no other alternatives. Hahn signed a negative war OF, a zero RF, and no starting pitching help beyond the cocky FA who got his ass pounded lasting a few innings in Game 2. McCann was the superior catcher in 2020 over the extremely high priced free agent Hahn signed rather than the starting pitching the team so desperately needed. They couldn't even muddle through 63 games with the staff Hahn built.

Still doubt Ricky would have survived even with a 2020 World Series title. Tony was to lose his Angels job, a team already mired in substance abuse, deaths, issues and arrests, once Tony's latest arrest became public, and Jerry was hiring him period, full stop. This is the same manager, mind you, who Jerry (who barely ever speaks on the record) stated had no business returning to managing, in part because he couldn't relate to players 50 + years his junior, several months prior to undercutting his front office, recruiting, and then hiring him with no consideration to any other candidate beyond the disgraceful Willie Harris "Bud Selig" rule interview, and this is even before his latest DUI arrest Bob Nightengale reported Jerry shared with NO ONE.

No competent organization or executive, not even an "Executive of the Year", signs a manger, has the team perform finish unexpectedly with a .583 winning percentage with two credible starting pitchers (one in the playoffs), and fires said manager after 63 games.  Those are the facts, whether or not you choose to accept them. The players thought he was a valuable manager, he finished second in Manager of the Year voting, and the players sentiment after he was fired was near unanimous. I'll side with the players who worked with him, who he developed into the players they are now under his leadership and coaching, and who loved playing for him over old bitter media types with their over the top and many times inaccurate or one sided with out the full story criticism.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly never thought I would see someone pine for Ricky but here we are 

Just stating facts, Hahn extended Ricky so he should have remained, or Hahn was as wrong on that move as with most of his other 2020 acquisitions. Must be nice to make almost every wrong move possible, and win "Executive of the Year". Must also be nice to be arrested and win a high paying promotion as a result, courtesy of your crony patron.

Privilege and greed runs a world in need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Just stating facts, Hahn extended Ricky so he should have remained, or Hahn was as wrong on that move as with most of his other 2020 acquisitions. Must be nice to make almost every wrong move possible, and win "Executive of the Year". Must also be nice to be arrested and win a high paying promotion as a result, courtesy of your crony patron.

Privilege and greed runs a world in need.

I FOUND PEAVEY!

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

My value judgments are superior to others'.  That's just a fact.

Every wrong move has been made, I must piss my pants for three months over Tony Larussa.  Even bring him up in unrelated conversations.  Ricky Renteria was wronged I tell you.  

• Like 1

Just now, KipWellsFan said:

Some of us come here to get updates about Spring Training. :)

Pitchers and catchers is such a tease. Feels like it's started but the articles and pics are the fluffiest "so and so says teammate is good". Can't wait for the real thing.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pitchers and catchers is such a tease. Feels like it's started but the articles and pics are the fluffiest "so and so says teammate is good". Can't wait for the real thing.

Only a few days until they start playing games we aren't allowed to watch for reasons that make no sense