Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Only a few days until they start playing games we aren't allowed to watch for reasons that make no sense

I'm going to be charitable that logistics for their production teams was more difficult this year.

But if I'm Jerry Reinsdorf, licking his desk to remember the scent of his missing silver coins, I'd probably just demand nick madrigal wear an extra tall hat with a go pro in it and give stadium the rights to show the radical new "spring training from 2nd base view"

Just now, bmags said:

I'm going to be charitable that logistics for their production teams was more difficult this year.

But if I'm Jerry Reinsdorf, licking his desk to remember the scent of his missing silver coins, I'd probably just demand nick madrigal wear an extra tall hat with a go pro in it and give stadium the rights to show the radical new "spring training from 2nd base view"

LOL I'm picturing a submarine scope popping out of the back of his hat 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

LOL I'm picturing a submarine scope popping out of the back of his hat 

someone like Mather is a baseball CEO for 25 years as an idiot, meanwhile we are just spitting out stuff like this for free and nobody is knocking down our door (or my door)

Nick Madrigal at 2nd base

image.png

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Better be a generously tall hat, or that's a new definition of "field level view".

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

TLR is a part of the team. 

Nobody said we can't talk about TLR.  He said let's be done with the repeated complaints.  It's been 3 months now, we know it's messed up.  Season is about to start, let's be done with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nobody said we can't talk about TLR.  He said let's be done with the repeated complaints.  It's been 3 months now, we know it's messed up.  Season is about to start, let's be done with it. 

I know what he meant. My point is this will not stop because some people believe the hiring of TLR has toxified the team and organization, and others will disagree. Things will die down once the season starts and we are winning games. 

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I know what he meant. My point is this will not stop because some people believe the hiring of TLR has toxified the team and organization, and others will disagree. Things will die down once the season starts and we are winning games. 

Man the best thing would be if after a month and the team is 20-10 or something, and we start hearing quotes from guys leaking out saying how much they love the new winning culture and playing for TLR.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I get it - but my point is - we are moderating to have it die down. People coming to this thread want to see news and discussion on the team - not 3 months of beating dead horse arguments. Those aren't for here and if people don't intend to rules they will be suspended.  

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I get it - but my point is - we are moderating to have it die down. People coming to this thread want to see news and discussion on the team - not 3 months of beating dead horse arguments. Those aren't for here and if people don't intend to rules they will be suspended.  

There isn't much news right now, except for the typical fluff. Once the news starts cranking up, it will be discussed more. 

PHOENIX — Addressing his ballclub on the first day of full-squad workouts for the 33rd time as a manager, Tony La Russa was nervous.

“I have been nervous every day my entire career, whether it’s the first-day speech, whether it’s a spring training game or a regular-season game,” La Russa said. “I’ll be nervous tomorrow.”

“The edge that we have going in is these guys knew what it felt like last year,” La Russa said. “I’m impressed that the guys that have talked about it  like Tim (Anderson), I talked today to José Abreu, Adam Eaton coming over  they recognize how important it is, and they’re going to carry the message.”

“When he’s sitting in front of us this morning you could hear a pin drop,” Eaton said. “No one walked around, we were all standing up and all spread out in all different directions and you could see the attentiveness in everyone.”

La Russa said he didn’t go any longer than 15 minutes, even with a few pages of notes folded in his back pocket. Eaton described the message as “very blunt.”

Over weeks and months, Anderson’s tone on La Russa has naturally evolved from accepting that Rick Renteria  a manager he revered  was fired, to outlining the fair approach he would bring to a relationship with his new manager, to overt commitment. The final stage is the product of Anderson’s typical early Arizona arrival providing time for a protracted one-on-one conversation with La Russa, who relocated near Camelback Ranch shortly after being hired. Now, the most anticipated point of stylistic friction for the 76-year-old manager sounds a lot different than initial expectations.

“I got to know him more as a person and more so even than the manager part,” Anderson said. “But yeah, just to see what page he’s on is definitely awesome. Just have conversations with him, very motivating. The drive to want to win, he has that. I’m behind him 110 percent. That’s the ultimate goal is to win and to win a World Series here. I’m behind him.”

Anderson’s place as a leadoff hitter, batting champion and one of the most embraced faces in the league makes this an obvious priority, but it also fits with a strategy La Russa has employed for 40 years. His earlier writings on managing referred to having a group of team leaders or “cosigners” among the players  which La Russa said on Monday could be as large as 10-12 players  who are empowered to bring concerns and challenges to the coaching staff, to keep them from losing a feel for the clubhouse.

*Dylan Cease, Codi Heuer and Evan Marshall also threw live BP. Tim Anderson hit an 0-2 fastball from Heuer over the center-field fence.

Much more at the link.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, bmags said:

I see six spring TV broadcasts scheduled starting Sunday at 2:05. 

I don't recall coming across this, but a great piece regarding Katz' work with Rodon. I have confidence at least a few pitchers will make big leaps this season, and be much improved to start 2022. I'm hoping the Sox could get big improvements from a Rodon, Cease and or Lopez this year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2021/2/21/22294283/white-sox-have-ideas-for-left-hander-carlos-rodon

“He’d get very quad-dominant, get in his toe and then he gets very cross-fired,” Katz said, “and he had the issue of staying healthy, obviously. There was some stuff in the lower half we wanted to address, and the minute we signed him back, we’ve been on the phone, talking, going through that process. And once we got here, we’ve been able to work hands-on.

“He’s starting to understand how his lower half is supposed to move more efficiently. And it’s just going to take time. When you’ve done something for a long time, it’s hard to get out of that, but over time, we hope we can tap into things that he hasn’t been able to do.”

It might not click overnight. Katz called it “a big adjustment.’’

‘‘[But] I’m seeing some results,” Rodon said. “I have a path, just having a plan every day and something I work on, whether it’s mechanically or mentally. It’s been really good.”

• Like 1

I'm still driving the Rodon bandwagon if anybody wants on. I was driving it last year too, we went off the road for a bit, now were taking the backroads. Hopefully I don't regret it - still think he turns into a major part of this team and their success not only regular season but into playoffs.

42 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't recall coming across this, but a great piece regarding Katz' work with Rodon. I have confidence at least a few pitchers will make big leaps this season, and be much improved to start 2022. I'm hoping the Sox could get big improvements from a Rodon, Cease and or Lopez this year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2021/2/21/22294283/white-sox-have-ideas-for-left-hander-carlos-rodon

I'm blown away by how bad that makes Cooper look.  We've seen for years that Rodon cannot throw an inside fastball at all.  Katz' explanation makes sense.  I'm not on the Rodon bandwagon at all, I think his shoulder is basically paper mache, but if he can throw strikes in 20 pitch appearances he'll be an asset out of the pen.