Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

On 2/23/2021 at 9:38 AM, bmags said:

image.png

I saw a version of these at HS bowling tournaments all the time. Except they just the box part. They didn't have the weird plastic cup looking things sticking out. Most people would decorate them with the school colors. Pretty cool actually.

7 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I saw a version of these at HS bowling tournaments all the time. Except they just the box part. They didn't have the weird plastic cup looking things sticking out. Most people would decorate them with the school colors. Pretty cool actually.

I made one of these for a school science fair as a kid using quart milk cartons and 4 small mirrors. I forget how old I was . Probably 10 or so but I don't remember if it actually worked because I couldn't line up the mirrors properly or cut them down to size to get the angles right to make it work . It worked in theory but the execution was lacking .

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Reports indicate Sheets has been adjusting to OF nicely. Wouldn't it be great if he turned into a legit corner OF'er ? 

It would be nice to have a legit in house option emerge from somewhere.  A few years ago you'd have figured one of the pile of Sheets, Walker, Micker, Basabe and Rutherford would be a decent MLB player.  So far crickets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It would be nice to have a legit in house option emerge from somewhere.  A few years ago you'd have figured one of the pile of Sheets, Walker, Micker, Basabe and Rutherford would be a decent MLB player.  So far crickets.

I agree.  Hopefully Cespedes can become a major league regular at the very least. 

8 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If Sheets/Burger light up the early MILB season, they become prime trade deadline candidates.  Blocked guys who could get you something good without affecting your core players.

I have no hope for Sheets.... but I am pulling for Burger. Would make a good come back story. Although if he somehow does well just this season I still dont think his value will be high. Might as well hang on to him to see if he can DH once Abreu is no longer here.

12 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I have no hope for Sheets.... but I am pulling for Burger. Would make a good come back story. Although if he somehow does well just this season I still dont think his value will be high. Might as well hang on to him to see if he can DH once Abreu is no longer here.

Why would you have no hope for Sheets? I wasn't a fan of that pick but he's absolutely useful now. 16 homers and 83 RBI in the Southern League is impressive. He's dropped 20 pounds and implemented swing changes. Rival scouts think he can be decent in an outfield corner. He's enhanced his profile quite a bit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, fathom said:

Burger looks in phenomenal shape. Hardly even recognize him. Rodon still looks beefy.

It's hard to believe he's only 10 lbs lighter than where he was at draft. Looks new.

That's really, really impressive to go through the last three years and keep his mental edge like this to throw it all in. Same with Sheets.

I was annoyed by the "makeup is what sets you apart" stuff from Hostetler, because so does athleticism and talent, but you can't listen to sheets and not come away impressed. Either through his dad or whatever, he knew what it would take to become a big leaguer. But his production wasn't close to there.

Now this outfield possibility and noise about his exit velos starting to catch up to loft, and it's all what you'd like to see from picks I'd pretty much written off. It's not like zombie courtney hawkins last years, refusing to change.