Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man just noticed the Red Sox scooped up Marwin Gonzalez for $3M.  He certainly would have been a good fit on this roster for that price tag.  

What do you like about him?  He's 31.  He put up a .600 OPS last year...and his career OPS is .729.  He's basically Leury Garcia and we already have him.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

What do you like about him?  He's 31.  He put up a .600 OPS last year...and his career OPS is .729.  He's basically Leury Garcia and we already have him.   

Yeah I’d rather have Mendick for his vastly superior defense. At least 50/50 he out hits him on top of that. Mendick has accumulated 60% of the WAR Marwin has since ‘19 in 20% the playing time

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Yeah I’d rather have Mendick for his vastly superior defense. At least 50/50 he out hits him on top of that. Mendick has accumulated 60% of the WAR Marwin has since ‘19 in 20% the playing time

I have a sneaky feeling Mendick ends up with around 250 PA this year and puts up around 1 WAR.  Wonder if he's been working at 3B and even perhaps OF.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Average MLB hitter, can cover legitimately every position but catcher and CF.  Switch hitter. Can fill in for a week or two anywhere on the diamond when Eloy and Moncada make their annual trips to the IL.  I agree he's comparable to Leury, but he's a better infielder than Leury.  I think he'd the perfect guy to have around as a bench piece.  I also admittedly am not a Mendick guy, and don't think he's a major leaguer.  

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Average MLB hitter, can cover legitimately every position but catcher and CF.  Switch hitter. Can fill in for a week or two anywhere on the diamond when Eloy and Moncada make their annual trips to the IL.  I agree he's comparable to Leury, but he's a better infielder than Leury.  I think he'd the perfect guy to have around as a bench piece.  I also admittedly am not a Mendick guy, and don't think he's a major leaguer.  

At that point its just splitting hairs really. Leury and Marwin are kind of the same player. $3mm is a nice deal for a team that has more of a need - agree there for sure.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm not sure why you dont like him...I feel like Mendick can be a nice part of the surge.  He plays all infield positions...plus defensively...put up .740 OPS in the minors.  Seems like a near perfect utility player.  If hes got to play two weeks he'll be solid...but not so good he wants to leave for starting spot.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

At that point its just splitting hairs really. Leury and Marwin are kind of the same player. $3mm is a nice deal for a team that has more of a need - agree there for sure.

Ganzalez is not great but he also had a. 240 babip last year, he is projected to have an ops that is about 50-60 points higher than leury. 

55 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Ganzalez is not great but he also had a. 240 babip last year, he is projected to have an ops that is about 50-60 points higher than leury. 

I don't know about projections but Marwin's last 1100 at bats his OPS is .713. Leury's last 1100 at bats his OPS is .703...and he's two years younger...and we already have him...and he's probably the worst position player on the team.   I would feel sad if we felt like we needed to clone him (though cloning Robert I'm fine with).     

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I feel like I can hear Manfred trying to convince teams that they should be able to end innings early in regular games, you know, to speed the game up.

If I had paid to see six innings of baseball yesterday...I would be most unhappy.  There is way too much screwing around with the game these days IMO.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If I had paid to see six innings of baseball yesterday...I would be most unhappy.  There is way too much screwing around with the game these days IMO.

Agreed. If they need to shorten the games to seven innings the first week of games, fine, but play real baseball for seven innings. 

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Problem is they don’t have the minor league arms in camp to fill the garbage innings 

They could have invited more kids if arms are in short supply.  It would be the thrill of a lifetime for some AAAA types.