Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why would they need to shorten the games though?  Full spring training should prepare everyone.

27 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If I had paid to see six innings of baseball yesterday...I would be most unhappy.  There is way too much screwing around with the game these days IMO.

22 minutes ago, flavum said:

Agreed. If they need to shorten the games to seven innings the first week of games, fine, but play real baseball for seven innings. 

Managers have slotted scheduled innings for select pitchers for the game. Teams don't have several pitchers in a bullpen available.

I don't agree with the changes to the 2021 regular season in terms of 7 inning Doubleheader Games and runners on 2nd in extras. Made sense last year, doesn't this year. Was also a major reason I was vehemently opposed to the Owner's proposal to start the season in May with a bunch of bullshit scheduled 7 inning doubleheader games, not to mention unscheduled doubleheaders for rain outs and possible COVID cancellations, to reach 154 games.

That said, they can and should do whatever is best to prepare the team for Spring Training, and not stretching pitchers beyond 25 pitches in an inning makes sense for the purpose of these games, which is to get pitchers stretched for the season, get hitters timing back and evaluate a few players. They are not for fans or wagering.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Managers have slotted scheduled innings for select pitchers for the game. Teams don't have several pitchers in a bullpen available.

I don't agree with the changes to the 2021 regular season in terms of 7 inning Doubleheader Games and runners on 2nd in extras. Made sense last year, doesn't this year. Was also a major reason I was vehemently opposed to the Owner's proposal to start the season in May with a bunch of bullshit scheduled 7 inning doubleheader games, not to mention unscheduled doubleheaders for rain outs and possible COVID cancellations, to reach 154 games.

That said, they can and should do whatever is best to prepare the team for Spring Training, and not stretching pitchers beyond 25 pitches in an inning makes sense for the purpose of these games, which is to get pitchers stretched for the season, get hitters timing back and evaluate a few players. They are not for fans or wagering.

Nice post.  Was about to say the same about ST rolling over innings.  Not a big deal.  No one needs to get hurt now.  Come April, will be a distant memory.

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t care about the gambling aspect, but there should be enough pitchers there to play an uninterrupted 7-inning game the first week of games. I saw highlights of a game where the inning ended after 22 pitches and the same pitcher went out the next inning. The fans that are there deserve to see an honest effort even if it doesn’t matter.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don’t care about the gambling aspect, but there should be enough pitchers there to play an uninterrupted 7-inning game the first week of games. I saw highlights of a game where the inning ended after 22 pitches and the same pitcher went out the next inning. The fans that are there deserve to see an honest effort even if it doesn’t matter.

That's just it, there isn't enough pitchers.  They're doing their best to deal with covid.  So many of these pitchers haven't pitched competitively in 2 years and since then have probably not really thrown that much compared to a normal season; majors or minors.  As guys get more innings and/or toss sessions, it'll smooth out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

That's just it, there isn't enough pitchers.  They're doing their best to deal with covid.  So many of these pitchers haven't pitched competitively in 2 years and since then have probably not really thrown that much compared to a normal season; majors or minors.  As guys get more innings and/or toss sessions, it'll smooth out. 

Sorry, not buying it. They have at least 33 pitchers there. Playing 7-inning games is dealing with COVID, and that’s fine. I’m just against pulling a team off the field before three outs are recorded. If these guys are so fragile, then don’t play games, don’t have fans, and don’t broadcast them. 

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sorry, not buying it. They have at least 33 pitchers there. Playing 7-inning games is dealing with COVID, and that’s fine. I’m just against pulling a team off the field before three outs are recorded. If these guys are so fragile, then don’t play games, don’t have fans, and don’t broadcast them. 

I'll leave those decisions in the hands of the coaches.  If they think its best to not let a guy exceed his pitch count or not bring in an unscheduled pitcher in a particular inning, so be it.  Pitchers are on strict regiments this early.  Geesh, its just the 1st week of ST games; get over it!  If it bothers you so much, don't watch.

Edited by Rounding_Third

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Good lord.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'll leave those decisions in the hands of the coaches.  If they think its best to not let a guy exceed his pitch count or not bring in an unscheduled pitcher in a particular inning, so be it.  Pitchers are on strict regiments this early.  Geesh, its just the 1st week of ST; get over it!  If it bothers you so much, don't watch.

Deal. I won’t watch. 

Yesterday Texas didn't seem to be protecting that guy from too many pitches or overworking, they were protecting his psyche it seemed more like.  I thought total pitches would be the issue, but they rolled the first inning and then sent him back out there and rolled the second inning when he got in trouble again.  

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yesterday Texas didn't seem to be protecting that guy from too many pitches or overworking, they were protecting his psyche it seemed more like.  I thought total pitches would be the issue, but they rolled the first inning and then sent him back out there and rolled the second inning when he got in trouble again.  

Could have been a good reason.  I'll take a speculative stab that he may have been scheduled for 2 innings.  I think his pitch count was around 40 when Tex rolled the 1st inning.  Then they probably asked him how he felt, replied "good" but then he continued to struggle and his pitches mounted.  Oh well, shit happens.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, flavum said:

No, seriously. I’m not watching spring training games. I’ll watch highlights. See ya April 1!

If you truly follow through, that's sad.  Don't quit, take a looksee next week.  It'll smooth out.  The closer they get to April, the truer the ST games.  

Lucroy looks fantastic at bat.  Very "hitterish" and in command of the strike zone.  But was pretty rusty defensively.  He was one of the best defensive catchers in baseball before his disk started affecting his game in 2017.  Hopefully, he works that out in the next few weeks.     

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Two types of people in this world.  Those that expect everything and those that expect nothing.  Guessing most Sox fans are just happy to see ANY baseball action this spring.  Then we have the other camp.

Would have been nice to see Abreu bat with the bases load.  That he ripped the ball anyway was all that really mattered.  In my ST fantasy world, it still scored 2 runs. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Would have been nice to see Abreu bat with the bases load.  That he ripped the ball anyway was all that really mattered.  In my ST fantasy world, it still scored 2 runs. :) 

As a fan the only thing I'd be mad about at spring training is if it was cloudy and below 65, or the drinks in the fancy tent you paid 15 bucks to enter were watered down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As a fan the only thing I'd be mad about at spring training is if it was cloudy and below 65, or the drinks in the fancy tent you paid 15 bucks to enter were watered down.

Oh you dawg, sounds like you've been there before.  I hope to next year.  Never been.  Would have tried this year if not for covid.  

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Oh you dawg, sounds like you've been there before.  I hope to next year.  Never been.  Would have tried this year if not for covid.  

Been down there three times now, seen most of the parks.  Some of them like Talking Stick feel like big league parks.  Wrote a pretty big guide two years ago should still be in my post history.  

For the most part everybody down there for Spring Training is there to have a good time, and is having a good time.  It's a must do.  

• Like 1

Sounds great!  Will definitely try to find your guide.  A few other "road" parks sounds like a great idea, too.

Have a (obvious) sneaking suspicion that even under normal life, tix at Camelback will be tough to get for a few years, especially for Sox vs Dodgers after they square off in the WS a few times. 💪  Just got to plan for it.

13 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Sounds great!  Will definitely try to find your guide.  A few other "road" parks sounds like a great idea, too.

Have a (obvious) sneaking suspicion that even under normal life, tix at Camelback will be tough to get for a few years, especially for Sox vs Dodgers after they square off in the WS a few times. 💪  Just got to plan for it.

ha, it's a good thought but literally the only games I ever saw sold out down there were Cubs at Mesa after they won it all.  And even then it was "do I really want to pay 30 bucks to go see a spring training game" because plenty were available on secondary market for that price.  Face value was like 12-15.

Protip: always just buy lawn seats or cheapest possible.  Ushers at Camelback, especially early in camp, do not GAF.  You can go sit 4th row behind the plate and most times nobody will say anything.

Camelback is also kinda in the middle of nowhere, even for Arizona.  It's fairly far away from most of the real population centers so tends to only get hardcore Dodger and Sox fans in attendance.  Whereas some of the other parks like Mesa attract casuals.  Dodger fans are a hoot.  Fun people.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

White Sox were one of 11 teams that watched Yoenis Cespedes workout in Florida on Tuesday. Other teams in attendance: Yankees, Rays, Jays, Tigers, Marlins, Braves, Reds, Brewers, Cubs, and Padres. So 5 AL, 6 NL.

Have to imagine teams are looking to give him an NRI and he's looking for a major league deal.

Of those listed, I feel like the Rays are the best fit? No way he can go to the NL right now until they announce the DH, but that changes the calculus if they do. I've been interested in seeing what he could do here as a bounce-back candidate earlier this winter/spring, but I don't think he's a fit given what I suspect his playing time expectations are and where the Sox view the DH position with Vaughn et al. 

Very interested to see what he ends up doing however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ha, it's a good thought but literally the only games I ever saw sold out down there were Cubs at Mesa after they won it all.  And even then it was "do I really want to pay 30 bucks to go see a spring training game" because plenty were available on secondary market for that price.  Face value was like 12-15.

Protip: always just buy lawn seats or cheapest possible.  Venders at Camelback, especially early in camp, do not GAF.  You can go sit 4th row behind the plate and most times nobody will say anything.

Ah but have you ever been there with this kind of team?  I've been around awhile and, on paper, its the best Sox team I've ever seen!   ...by a lot!  Plus, its the type that will enchant many new fans in Chicago and across the country.....as long as they're as good as their ink and I believe they are,  They're going to be on a lot of national broadcasts, as well.  A lot of offensive records will be challenged if not broken....with a "health" wood knock.  Gonna see lots of Sox & Padres caps showing up everywhere.

But you're right, there's always a way to get some tix depending on you caveat question (& answer) over cost. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Ah but have you ever been there with this kind of team?  I've been around awhile and, on paper, its the best Sox team I've ever seen!   ...by a lot!  Plus, its the type that will enchant many new fans in Chicago and across the country.....as long as they're as good as their ink and I believe they are,  They're going to be on a lot of national broadcasts, as well.  A lot of offensive records will be challenged if not broken....with a "health" wood knock.  Gonna see lots of Sox & Padres caps showing up everywhere.

But you're right, there's always a way to get some tix depending on you caveat question (& answer) over cost. 

The best shirts I saw after they won it all were from Cardinals fans, it read something like "Enjoy that one, because it will be another 106 years for another".