Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Is this their idea of hazing now a days? Very soft, very weak. Gone are the days of the elephant walk. 

Nothing says strength like standing around holding each other cocks in a desperate attempt to be accepted into a group

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Nothing says strength like standing around holding each other cocks in a desperate attempt to be accepted into a group

I’m so glad I didn’t go to an ivy league college 😆

33 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

Really ? Your glad you  didn't go to an ivy league- LOL ! Likely it's really because you couldn't .

The comment was obviously sarcastically  made in the context of some obscene hazing ritual... but go ahead and keep randomly insulting people around here.

👍

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nick 100% rubs vets the wrong way.  Let's hope he takes this well.

The Sox are a collection of supremely confident people up and down the lineup. Nick would fit right in with Eloy saying he’ll be the MVP and calling Robert Mike Trout. Moncada making music videos. TA declaring himself the best SS in the league. I’m guessing they aren’t near this petty to have any issues. Moreover they like to have fun. The comment was crazy, reacting to it like this was very natural from a tight group.

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Thanks 1

Two nice updates late in the second hour of Inside the Clubhouse today:

• Bruce Levine reiterated the club's commitment to both Kopech and Crochet being considered eventual Starting Pitchers, targeting 1-2 + innings a few times a week to stretch them out and either send one or both down to convert to SPs in the second half, or stretch them enough this year in bullpen roles to roll out in 2022.
  • Discussed conversations between the clubs and the Mayor over the past few weeks allowing up to 12,000 fans perhaps as early as April.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Two nice updates late in the second hour of Inside the Clubhouse today:

• Bruce Levine reiterated the club's commitment to both Kopech and Crochet being considered eventual Starting Pitchers, targeting 1-2 + innings a few times a week to stretch them out and either send one or both down to convert to SPs in the second half, or stretch them enough this year in bullpen roles to roll out in 2022.
  • Discussed conversations between the clubs and the Mayor over the past few weeks allowing up to 12,000 fans perhaps as early as April.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Thanks for posting, I just posted what Levine stated earlier today.

Crochet may turn out to be limited to bullpen work long term due to health / arm limitations, but I hope he is given at least a shot to start next season if health permits. 5-6 innings per start is much more valuable than 2-3 relief innings per week long term.

Tony’s focus is to “win today”, but it must be balanced by FO considerations for today and the future, especially for top prospects with high ceilings.

Also “more” doesn't exclude multi-inning appearances. If Crochet pitches a full season in the bullpen healthy and hits 80 + innings this season, he can still convert to a starter for a good portion of 2022.

It’s much easier and cheaper to replace Crotchet in the bullpen than to sign a starter with equivalent ability.

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for posting, I just posted what Levine stated earlier today.

Crochet may turn out to be limited to bullpen work long term due to health / arm limitations, but I hope he is given at least a shot to start next season if health permits. 5-6 innings per start is much more valuable than 2-3 relief innings per week long term.

Tony’s focus is to “win today”, but it must be balanced by FO considerations for today and the future, especially for top prospects with high ceilings.

Also “more” doesn't exclude multi-inning appearances. If Crochet pitches a full season in the bullpen healthy and hits 80 + innings this season, he can still convert to a starter for a good portion of 2022.

It’s much easier and cheaper to replace Crotchet in the bullpen than to sign a starter with equivalent ability.

In 2019, only 15 relievers league wide had more than 75 innings. Hendricks was one of them. With both Hendricks and Bummer on this team, there’s no way that there are that many innings available for a middle reliever.