Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I'm not a super huge fan of going Giolito-Keuchel-Lynn-Cease-Rodon.  They should pitch one of Keuchel or Lynn 4th to break up Cease and Rodon in case they are getting pulled early.  Put an innings eater between those two.  But whatever.

I could see that.  No matter what they both do this spring, it’s hard not to see them as complete wildcards.  

So...what happened to Tim Beckham?  I didn't see anything about him being released, but I don't see him listed as part of the roster.  I'm sure I missed something.

Oops - I just saw him listed on the team as non-roster.  He hasn't played at all, has he?

Edited by hogan873

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

So...what happened to Tim Beckham?  I didn't see anything about him being released, but I don't see him listed as part of the roster.  I'm sure I missed something.

Oops - I just saw him listed on the team as non-roster.  He hasn't played at all, has he?

He signed a minor league deal. He has a 32 game suspension he has to serve left over from 2019. 

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

He signed a minor league deal. He has a 32 game suspension he has to serve left over from 2019. 

Ah.  Got it.  I thought I remembered a suspension, but I thought it had been served.  I wouldn't think he has a place on the big league team anyway with Mendick and Garcia.

31 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Ah.  Got it.  I thought I remembered a suspension, but I thought it had been served.  I wouldn't think he has a place on the big league team anyway with Mendick and Garcia.

For sure. Looks like he's insurance for if TA goes down. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Great idea. One of the biggest bummers when you're in youth leagues is when you switch to wood bats, and suddenly your bats don't look cool anymore. Why not fix that?

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

Really cool stuff, akin to custom hockey goalie masks. Not allowed in games yet because the higher-ups in the league office love tradition, but I can see this being an easy way to grow the game and let players express themselves. There's a huge marketability opportunity here - let's hope the capitalize on it.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

Rodon looked fantastic today. Best I have seen in years. He's currently got the 5th spot over Lopez IMO.

This can't be understated.

Rodon looked like an ace the other day. Just attacking and challenging every hitter with every pitch. His 4 seamer is lively and he was throwing it for a strike at will. Was using two different sliders and also getting them over the plate when necessary. Just better tempo too. He was getting the ball and throwing it against a Padres lineup that had a lot of their regulars in there.

People have a right to be frustrated with Rodon. He's been a lazy guy over the course of his career who has not made good on the gifts he's been given. To me, that's the worst type of player. That said, he has so much natural ability. He has a decent track record of being more than capable as a #5 prior to the injuries. He has velocity from the left side and his fastball is dancing like I've never seen. His slider has always been an out pitch. This is really make a break or break season for him. I am trying to hold back my optimism because it's spring training but his outing the other day is the highlight of the Spring to me. 

It seems Katz working with him on his core is paying dividends. Apparently having a potbelly in your 20's as a professional athlete isn't going to serve you well. Go figure. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

Rabbit I saw that you mentioned it before but has the problem been Rodon being lazy and has that always been the problem with him? Is he in better shape this year in your opinion and do you think he got the message he has to work harder? Thanks

It's been rumored since his rookie offseason that he wasn't working hard.  Someone asked him what his offseason plan was and he said something like "drink a bunch of beer and hang out with my buddies in the deer camp".  Not all pitchers have to be in great shape, and many can make it work with a little more weight, but Carlos took the "I'm not going to pick up a ball until February" thing a little too literally it appears.  

https://theathletic.com/2459710/2021/03/18/how-will-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-construct-his-lineups-im-having-fun-with-it/

I am sure people will be happy about this;

"Over the last few days, La Russa has said Adam Eaton will hit second plenty during the season, citing his ability to bunt, hit-and-run and occasionally hit for power, and fulfilling the traditional mold."

11 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

https://theathletic.com/2459710/2021/03/18/how-will-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-construct-his-lineups-im-having-fun-with-it/

"Over the last few days, La Russa has said Adam Eaton will hit second plenty during the season, citing his ability to bunt, hit-and-run and occasionally hit for power, and fulfilling the traditional mold."

Honestly rather him at #2 than Grandal.. But I'd have Moncada and Robert ahead of both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

This can't be understated.

Rodon looked like an ace the other day. Just attacking and challenging every hitter with every pitch. His 4 seamer is lively and he was throwing it for a strike at will. Was using two different sliders and also getting them over the plate when necessary. Just better tempo too. He was getting the ball and throwing it against a Padres lineup that had a lot of their regulars in there.

People have a right to be frustrated with Rodon. He's been a lazy guy over the course of his career who has not made good on the gifts he's been given. To me, that's the worst type of player. That said, he has so much natural ability. He has a decent track record of being more than capable as a #5 prior to the injuries. He has velocity from the left side and his fastball is dancing like I've never seen. His slider has always been an out pitch. This is really make a break or break season for him. I am trying to hold back my optimism because it's spring training but his outing the other day is the highlight of the Spring to me. 

It seems Katz working with him on his core is paying dividends. Apparently having a potbelly in your 20's as a professional athlete isn't going to serve you well. Go figure. 

I couldn't agree more Rabbit! He's always had the slider and it's a good pitch. But the 4-seamer, well that seems to be dancing all around the plate right now.  It's really throwing the batters off and That's the difference right now.  

36 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If Eaton is producing I don't give a rats ass if Eaton gets "plenty" of starts at the 2 hole as long as Engel gets most starts against LHP and opportunities against RHPs (.767 OPS last season, .837 vs. LHP and .811 overall). Not sure if "traditional" Tony will allow Engel to take over as primary RFer over his guy, even if he is outproducing Eaton at the same clip as last season (Engel's .811 vs. Eaton's .669). 

There are times where Anderson should bat lower against some of the RHPs he's had trouble with to maximize the lineup, but I understand La Russa's take on not fucking around with Tim or Jose, and Tim has shown consistent improvement the past few years and is comfortable batting leadoff.

I also prefer Jimenez batting cleanup over Moncada (article has Moncada cleanup vs. all pitching), preferring Eloy's superior production over fretting about righty / lefty.

Who is playing is more important than where they are hitting, though I'd prefer the primary core (Anderson, Abreu, Moncada, Eloy, and when they prove themselves Robert and Vaughn) to be in the first six slots to maximize the number of their at bats over the course of the season.

RHP: 1. Anderson (.709); 2. Eaton ^ (.801); 3. Abreu (.853); 4. Jimenez (.864); 5. Moncada # (.813); 6. Grandal # (.797) 7. Robert (.718); 8. Vaughn; 9. Madrigal (.821)

LHP: 1. Anderson (.869); 2. Grandal # (.781); 3. Abreu (.927); 4. Jimenez (.801); 5. Moncada # (.702); 6. Robert (.807); 7. Vaughn; 8. Engel (.689); 9. Madrigal (.455)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@raBBit you the man, bro.

Thanks man - hope all is well with you out West!

4 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Rabbit I saw that you mentioned it before but has the problem been Rodon being lazy and has that always been the problem with him? Is he in better shape this year in your opinion and do you think he got the message he has to work harder? Thanks

Sox know he's lazy. His agency knows he's lazy. His offseasons have typically been made up of a lot of hunting and video games. Which is fine of course if you're mixing in some workouts, but Rodon comes to camp out of shape. I dont know about this offseason moreso speaking to the past. 

If you listen to his interview with the press upon joining the team in AZ, you can tell its very clear he's aware that his career is facing a turning point. He knows he needs to stay healthy and perform if he keeps wanting to start in the MLB. 

He's also talked about Katz working with him on his core and the pressures he's applying on his fastball. Like I said, it's just Spring Training, but he looked absolutely different out there the other. If you had slept through the last 5 years and woke up at the Sox ST game watching him pitch you'd think he made good on all of his potential while you were asleep.