Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Spring doesn't matter when guys are bad and is very telling whe  guys are good. Interesting how that logic works

You're of course being deliberately obtuse, but yes, freaking out about ST results is dumb either way. You're not smart for stating the obvious. That said, some fans are excited about the team and can get excited about the discernible physical and mental changes in an oft-injured player who has untapped potential while also understanding it's just Spring Training. Thanks for keeping everyone in check with your great contributions per usual though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You're of course being deliberately obtuse, but yes, freaking out about ST results is dumb either way. You're not smart for stating the obvious. That said, some fans are excited about the team and can get excited about the discernible physical and mental changes in an oft-injured player who has untapped potential while also understanding it's just Spring Training. Thanks for keeping everyone in check with your great contributions per usual though. 

I'm excited about the team.

I'm not acting as if Rodon has suddenly figured it all out and is going to flourish. 

Rodon's problem has and always will be health. Arm health really isn't related to conditioning; you can either handle the motion or you can't. Rodon has been an all-arm thrower for a long time who has utilized a slider (bad on arm) more than most traditional pitchers. He was overused at NC State (a concern coming out of college) and he's been unable to maintain health and his delivery in the big leagues. Expecting a guy in his 7th year of MLB baseball to suddenly turn it all around after suffering from arm injury after arm injury is just a hope and a dream IMO. Rodon has looked unhittable MANY times in his big league career; times where the games actually counted. That has not been his problem. The fact is, most players are who they are, especially at 28 years old. If he stays healthy, he'll be fine and serviceable but I certainly wouldn't bet on Carlos Rodon to throw over 160 innings this year. Would you? 

Edit; Oh and if you need a wake up call as a professional athlete at 28 years old to "start trying harder" then you legit don't have what it takes to be an elite professional athlete. There's no switch you can turn on.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rodon has really one full seaon in the major leagues.  That was his second year, 2016. He was pretty great in August that season 5 earned runs in 30.2 innings. Other that that, and his rookie year, he has been a part timer because  of injury. I don't know about the lazy tag. He has come back from shoulder surgery and TJ. If a little belly is a problem,  Lance Lynn will put you in a rubber room. Lynn actually says his girth helps him hide the ball. The key to Rodon is staying heathy. Most guys will have a better plan at 28 tan at 22. He obviously also needed to knock off some rust. The fact that he wasn't rehabbing this past offseaon should help in his preparation.  I was always a big fan, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him scratched from a start by the middle of April. I hope he can stay heathy but even if he does,  is anything over 100 innings from him realistic?

On 3/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, pcq said:

We go from McCann showing us how the game is played to Grandal part time due to injuries. Meh. 

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I wish we would've traded Grandal and kept McCann. I think McCann is going to have a very solid career, and there's just something about Grandal that doesn't excite me. I just think his best days are behind him. I could be completely wrong on this, but he doesn't seem excited to be there, or motivated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I wish we would've traded Grandal and kept McCann. I think McCann is going to have a very solid career, and there's just something about Grandal that doesn't excite me. I just think his best days are behind him. I could be completely wrong on this, but he doesn't seem excited to be there, or motivated.

I get where you are coming from.  McCann was a favorite of mine and I just haven't bought in on Grandal all the way.  However, hope I am wrong, and makes me wonder what I liked so much about McCann.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Agree. If only because he was Gio’s guy and making full use of organizational assets with a trade. And JM being a little younger was important ( to me at least) because I’m skeptical on Collins and the Sox don’t have catching in the pipeline. In the end I think switch hitting ability is a factor.

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I get where you are coming from.  McCann was a favorite of mine and I just haven't bought in on Grandal all the way.  However, hope I am wrong, and makes me wonder what I liked so much about McCann.

McCann is a leader, which is a very attractive attribute to have in your catcher on the team. Its the reason why I liked him so much, and then he just broke out offensively, which was the selling point for me. Plus the pitchers loved him. Grandal doesn't seem to have the same leadership instincts.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

McCann is a leader, which is a very attractive attribute to have in your catcher on the team. Its the reason why I liked him so much, and then he just broke out offensively, which was the selling point for me. Plus the pitchers loved him. Grandal doesn't seem to have the same leadership instincts.

I’ll agree with the comments on McCann, I would have rather kept him and possibly used the money we gave to Yasmani towards other needs (not a guarantee we woulda spent the money). I know the statistics say Grandal is great defensively, but the eye test last year he didn’t jump out. But he does have great OBP and I do believe he’s a leader (all the players say he lives and breaths baseball).  Worried about his age/health. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I’ll agree with the comments on McCann, I would have rather kept him and possibly used the money we gave to Yasmani towards other needs (not a guarantee we woulda spent the money). I know the statistics say Grandal is great defensively, but the eye test last year he didn’t jump out. But he does have great OBP and I do believe he’s a leader (all the players say he lives and breaths baseball).  Worried about his age/health. 

Many will eventually come to that conclusion, slowly but surely. If MLB goes automated strike zone with the the new CBA, his value really takes a hit.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, ScooterMcGee said:

That would be a good way to not have major free agents sign here.  Trade a major guy one year in.. not a great plan.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:49 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

As of right now, Turley might be on the team. He’s out of options and is an Ethan Katz guy. 

Turley came from the same High School Pitching Program as Katz and Giolito.

WSCR discussed the Turley acquisition and likelihood as making the team as a LH Reliever on the morning show today. (First linked segment, La Russa discusses Rodon and then they move onto Turley).

Solid segment with James Fegan on the Score this evening (scroll to the 30 minute mark to skip Ryne Sandberg and Bears discussion):

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/joe-ostrowski-on-670-the-score-756/grote-ryne-sandberg-james-fegan-interviews-hour-2-360017739

• Giolito speaks about ST environment established by Tony La Russa.
  • Doesn't see Kopech or Crochet leaving the bullpen this season, though Kopech may be converted to SP second half if things go wrong (Cease, Rodon) or injuries but still unlikely.
  • Abreu appears to be playing at full capacity at this point post COVID in drills.
  • Moncada is at full strength, likely to bat cleanup majority of the season.
  • Hoping to see more power out of Anderson in terms of a next step move in 2021.
  • Catcher Depth Chart: Team's preference is Lucroy due to connections with staff, Collins has done anything he could to show he is better and able to contribute now, still betting against him making the OD roster. (I hope he is wrong with this).